Height locked when flying in an indoor dome
13712 13 2017-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pluk
New
Canada

Hi everyone,

I'm new to drones and especially Mavic Pro. I want to fly the drone in a closed soccer dome, so no GPS possible. When I raised it up, it sort of stopped at a height of 20 feet, been able to hover steadily.

Question : How can I raise it higher ? the dome is close to 50 feet. At 20 feet, it is just too low and disturbs the play.

Any setting helps would be appreciated. Thank you !
2017-2-1
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Did you read the user guide?

Go to the DJI Go 4 App, Connect to the Mavic, Tap on the drone icon, scroll down until you find "Set Mac Flight Altitude" and set it.
  • Minimum hight is 20 meters... your limit mentioned 20 feet (6 meters) seem to be a bit low, must be a defective drone, you should raise a ticket with DJI Support.
2017-2-1
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

No, I don't think your Mavic is defective.  When in OPTI mode, the Mavic is limited to a height of about 5m or 16ft, which sounds like it's probably the limit that you're seeing. If you want to get around the 5m limit, you can force the Mavic into ATTI mode by disabling the Visual Positioning System. The height limit in ATTI mode is about 30m or 98ft, which sounds like plenty for your intended use.

A word of caution... Many of us have experienced erratic behavior with the Mavic in ATTI mode, and some of us are still trying to dig into the issue. I suggest, if possible, that you test it first when there's nobody else in the dome, or else test ATTI mode in some other location where it's not likely to hit a person or object. If you find your Mavic is stable and controllable in ATTI mode, then hopefully it will stay that way.
2017-2-1
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Australia

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-1 20:31
No, I don't think your Mavic is defective.  When in OPTI mode, the Mavic is limited to a height of about 5m or 16ft, which sound like it's probably the limit that you're seeing. If you want to get around the 5m limit, you can force the Mavic into ATTI mode by disabled the Visual Positioning System. The height limit in ATTI mode is about 30m or 98ft, which sounds like plenty for your intended use.

A word of caution... Many of us have experienced erratic behavior with the Mavic in ATTI mode, and some of us are still trying to dig into the issue. I suggest, if possible, that you test it first when there's nobody else in the dome, or else test ATTI mode in some other location where it's not likely to hit a person or object. If you find your Mavic is stable and controllable in ATTI mode, then hopefully it will stay that way.

nice, looks like I havent read the user guide enough... lol
  • btw which document states that? trying to look that up in the user guide but cant seem to see anything there.

2017-2-1
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Australia

cluc Posted at 2017-2-1 21:42
nice, looks like I havent read the user guide enough... lol
  • btw which document states that? trying to look that up in the user guide but cant seem to see anything there.

• Hehe. It's on p49 in the manual v1.2
    2017-2-1
    Use props
    Ex Machina
    First Officer
    Flight distance : 1806362 ft
    United States

From Pg. 49:

"Height is restricted to 16 feet (5 meters) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is activated. Height is restricted to 98 feet (30 meters) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is inactivated."

Where "GPS signal is weak" is another way of saying you are in ATTI mode, which can't be enabled directly and is only switched to when GPS is unavailable.
    2017-2-1
    Use props
    cluc
    lvl.3
    Australia

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-1 21:49
    Hehe. It's on p49 in the manual v1.2

cheers, just found that... thanks :-)

Haha its all these little details... far out.
    2017-2-1
    Use props
    pluk
    New
    Canada

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-1 20:31
    No, I don't think your Mavic is defective.  When in OPTI mode, the Mavic is limited to a height of about 5m or 16ft, which sound like it's probably the limit that you're seeing. If you want to get around the 5m limit, you can force the Mavic into ATTI mode by disabled the Visual Positioning System. The height limit in ATTI mode is about 30m or 98ft, which sounds like plenty for your intended use.

Any reason why ATTI mode is limited to 30m when the Magic Pro can go higher ?

Yes I do think 98ft is enough. The dome is 50 ft
    2017-2-1
    Use props
    Jason Lane
    lvl.4
    Australia

pluk Posted at 2017-2-1 22:16

I suppose DJI must think it's safer or something. I dunno.
    2017-2-2
    Use props
    fansf68d60df
    New
    United States

The issue you are experiencing is not an issue at all, but instead a feature to keep the ground in view to remain in OPTI mode when GPS is unavailable.  A way to bypass this, and proceed directly to ATTI mode when GPS is not available is to disable the DVPS (Downward Vision Position System)  This will force the drone into ATTI mode.
    2017-9-13
    Use props
    Bachi
    lvl.1
    Flight distance : 172064 ft
    Argentina

Besides the higher limit for the ATTI mode, I've tested launching it from an internal balcony with Visual Positioning System ON (avoiding front crashes) and so I was able to fly it up 5 mts from the balcony level (about 10 mts above ground). Once I lowered it below the launching height, I could not fly it back up to 12 mts
    2017-11-7
    Use props
    Tyredecals.com
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 419980 ft
    • >>>
    Australia

pluk Posted at 2017-2-1 22:16

Its blocked to stop poeple flying in NFZs.
    Its possible to block the GPS with foil and trick the Mavic into thinking its no where near a NFZ and take off.
    In order to prevent this, DJI has enforced MAX height of 30m in ATTI mode.
    2017-11-7
    Use props
    Bachi
    lvl.1
    Flight distance : 172064 ft
    Argentina

If you have good lighting it should fly in ATTI mode with a maximum flight altitude of limit 5 mts, I've checked this in a conference room. I wanted to film the chandelier in the room (at about 15 mts above ground) so I tried taking off from a balcony in the first floor and IT DID WORK!
    I filmed with the drone in ATTI mode (stable and with full control) at  more than10 mts above the floor!
    If anyone is interested I can provide footage and flight records
    2017-11-14
    Use props
    ezetorres
    New
    Flight distance : 96319 ft
    Argentina

Bachi Posted at 2017-11-14 06:36
    If you have good lighting it should fly in ATTI mode with a maximum flight altitude of limit 5 mts, I've checked this in a conference room. I wanted to film the chandelier in the room (at about 15 mts above ground) so I tried taking off from a balcony in the first floor and IT DID WORK!
    I filmed with the drone in ATTI mode (stable and with full control) at  more than10 mts above the floor!
    If anyone is interested I can provide footage and flight records

Hi Bachi, can you help me to flying indoor without height limit with SPARK?
    2020-10-24
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules