12Next >
32652 42 2017-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bando Works
lvl.2
Flight distance : 253704 ft
United States

What are the best methods for insuring our drones?  Would love to hear anyone's insight.  Thanks
2017-2-2
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

The only one that I know of is the one DJI offers, the price is a bit steep but I think if  you were to be flying commercially it would be a worthwhile investment .  Hope this answers your question .  

donnie
2017-2-3
Use props
BrianDavis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 394528 ft
United States

It depends on what you're going to do with your drone. If you're flying for a hobby, then DJI's insurance could come in handy if you crash your drone a few times during the first year. I had a Phantom 4 last year that I didn't insure, but I did crash once. The cost of the repairs through DJI was cheaper than the DJI insurance for a year, so it worked out that I didn't purchase their insurance. If you're a hobbiest who's compitent, well practiced, doesn't take risks, follows FAA guidance, and is disciplined with being aware of your surroundings, you might not need insurance because you might not ever crash due to pilot error. If you're risky or fly in high risk situations you might want to get insurance. Beyond just insuring your drone, if you fly commercially you might want to look into getting liability insurance. I've had a few jobs that have required a certain amount of coverage to be able to fly. Either way, there are a number of companies that will insure your drone and/or sell you a liability policy that are easily found through Google. DJI is an option, but not the only one.
2017-2-5
Use props
sharif0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 621312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I reached out to this company.  http://www.insuremydrone.net/

The prices for commericial level $1,000,000 liability insurance was reasonable, IMHO...$900 annually.  They have an option to also insure the aircraft and accessories against damage as well but I'd suggest using DJI care for that purpose as you don't want to get dinged for filing a claim with an insurance company.

Many insurance companies that offer liability insurance policies will not touch you unless you have a Section 107 certification.  But this particular company does not require the 107.

I know most people tend to be more concerned about damage to your drone.  But in reality, that is immaterial compared to the severe civil and criminal liability that can occur should your aircraft hurt someone...without insurance, it could easily bankrupt most of us.  If you are planning to fly your bird in populated areas I would strongly suggest some form of liability insurance.  The AMA membership includes some liability insurance, but NOT for any type of commericial use.  Check with your homeowners insurance as some of them, like State Farm, will cover liability and property damage caused by the drone but again...NOT for commercial use.  And they DO define commercial use as unpaid use that is done for marketing purposes...ie...marketing your own business.  This is the category that I fell into, so I had to get a dedicated liability insurance policy for my drones.

Make sure that your flight operations cannot be construed as recklessly endangering the public, and that should keep you out of the criminal justice system.  Accidents can and will happen.  

2017-2-6
Use props
Bando Works
lvl.2
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-3 10:13
The only one that I know of is the one DJI offers, the price is a bit steep but I think if  you were to be flying commercially it would be a worthwhile investment .  Hope this answers your question .  

donnie

Thank you Donnie!
2017-2-6
Use props
Bando Works
lvl.2
United States

BrianDavis Posted at 2017-2-5 17:55
It depends on what you're going to do with your drone. If you're flying for a hobby, then DJI's insurance could come in handy if you crash your drone a few times during the first year. I had a Phantom 4 last year that I didn't insure, but I did crash once. The cost of the repairs through DJI was cheaper than the DJI insurance for a year, so it worked out that I didn't purchase their insurance. If you're a hobbiest who's compitent, well practiced, doesn't take risks, follows FAA guidance, and is disciplined with being aware of your surroundings, you might not need insurance because you might not ever crash due to pilot error. If you're risky or fly in high risk situations you might want to get insurance. Beyond just insuring your drone, if you fly commercially you might want to look into getting liability insurance. I've had a few jobs that have required a certain amount of coverage to be able to fly. Either way, there are a number of companies that will insure your drone and/or sell you a liability policy that are easily found through Google. DJI is an option, but not the only one.

Good to know.  I think liability Insurance would be the best route.  The DJI Care Refresh just isn't enough.  Thank you
2017-2-6
Use props
Bando Works
lvl.2
United States

sharif0 Posted at 2017-2-6 05:52
I reached out to this company.  http://www.insuremydrone.net/

The prices for commericial level $1,000,000 liability insurance was reasonable, IMHO...$900 annually.  They have an option to also insure the aircraft and accessories against damage as well but I'd suggest using DJI care for that purpose as you don't want to get dinged for filing a claim with an insurance company.

This site could be a great reference point.  Thank you for sharing!
2017-2-6
Use props
KNOTENOUGH
lvl.1
Flight distance : 142687 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hull and usher insurance very resoonible
2017-2-7
Use props
KNOTENOUGH
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Hull and usher insurance very resonable for liability ins.
2017-2-7
Use props
KNOTENOUGH
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Hull and usher  very resonable
2017-2-7
Use props
Bando Works
lvl.2
United States

KNOTENOUGH Posted at 2017-2-7 17:50
Hull and usher  very resonable

Thank you.  Have you used them before?   Do you know how much annually?
2017-2-9
Use props
sfdrones.tv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1257218 ft
  • >>>
United States

My insurance has been excellent!! I recently made a claim for a new camera and it was taken care of super fast.
$800 a year for $1m public liability and $800 for complete coverage of $10k worth of Inspire (craft, batteries, lenses etc).

Speak to Joe at https://www.bullockagency.com/
2017-2-10
Use props
Bando Works
lvl.2
United States

sfdrones.tv Posted at 2017-2-10 09:06
My insurance has been excellent!! I recently made a claim for a new camera and it was taken care of super fast.
$800 a year for $1m public liability and $800 for complete coverage of $10k worth of Inspire (craft, batteries, lenses etc).

This is exactly what we're looking for.  Thanks!
2017-2-10
Use props
sfdrones.tv
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bando Works Posted at 2017-2-10 21:57

Great!! When you contact Joe please tell him Ian sent you there.
They really have been excellent - the company that they use to insure the bird only handles aircraft and when I needed to make a claim they jumped straight on it. The process was super easy and i got a check within a week of sending everything in.

Ian
2017-2-11
Use props
sfdrones.tv
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bando Works Posted at 2017-2-10 21:57

joe@bullockagency.com
2017-2-11
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.3
Flight distance : 921693 ft
United States

VERIFLY app is great for smaller birds like the I2 or Phantom...anything under 15 lbs (commercial or for fun).  It allows for insurance on a per flight basis. The great part is that you can bill your client an exact amount - instead of trying to figure out what to charge them based on a yearly policy.  
2017-2-11
Use props
Eugene Verifly
New

United States

Hi There. Just a clarification. Verifly supports drones up to 35 lbs. Limits available up to $10MM and coverage anywhere in the US.  Policy durations from 1 hour to 8 hours any time day or night (with night waiver) No application, download the app and go.
2017-9-27
Use props
Blackwood
lvl.4

United States

We use Verifly. Works great for us since drone flights are not our primary business. The drone is just one of our tools.
2017-9-28
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

I'm confused. How come our existing business insurance (which covers all of our liabilities and assets) wouldn't cover both the drone itself and any damages that might happen during a <very unfortunate> drone flight? Hmm.
2017-9-29
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1303780 ft
Germany

Do you have an insurance that covers a drone when transported as checked-in luggage in a passenger plane? I am talking about an expensive one here so you can't use regular travel insurance that has a low cap, especially on electronics and valuables.
I'm based in Germany and couldn't find one, what about the US or other countries?
2017-10-1
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1488520 ft
United Kingdom

Coverdrone in the UK.

I1/I2 covered in transit, storage and in flight with PLI.

2017-10-2
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've heard good things about State Farm for USA residents. I have a Home Owners Policy which covers Drone/copter liability issues.
2017-10-2
Use props
Polish_Films
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56099 ft
United States

ukaleq Posted at 2017-10-1 04:46
Do you have an insurance that covers a drone when transported as checked-in luggage in a passenger plane? I am talking about an expensive one here so you can't use regular travel insurance that has a low cap, especially on electronics and valuables.
I'm based in Germany and couldn't find one, what about the US or other countries?

Electronic in checked bags are never covered by the airline and when it comes to liability it would come down to the general drone insurance.
2017-11-2
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1303780 ft
Germany

... and the question was: which insurance would cover this?
2017-11-2
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
United States

AMA just today released a commercial insurance to its members who fly commercially.   AMAdroneinsurance.com  
State Farm quoted me only 1.50 per hundred for non commercial drones only. Cameras that detatch were separate at 1.60 per hundred.
2017-11-6
Use props
wattmhite1
lvl.1

United States

You all should definitely check out www.bwifly.com I got my part 107, started my business and called them and they totally know about insuring drones in and out. They also had the lowest price for 1 mil insurance.
2017-11-16
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

As a hobbyist joining the AMA is the best route. Commercially there are many options. I use VERIFLY for my commercial flights.
2017-11-17
Use props
DroneGuru508
New

United States

I've used www.insuremydrone.net and have been very happy with their prices and customer service. They have a tool that allows you to create certificates too which is great since we do a lot of jobs that require this. Reach out to Tyler@insuremydrone.net I worked with him and he was really helpful.
2017-12-11
Use props
wattmhite1
lvl.1

United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-11-17 04:58
As a hobbyist joining the AMA is the best route. Commercially there are many options. I use VERIFLY for my commercial flights.

I use BWI www.bwifly.com and they literally had the best price for commercial insurance. I got 1 Mil liability for $475 for the whole year! And it's not AMA it's a full commercial insurance policy through Global Aerospace.
2018-2-10
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

wattmhite1 Posted at 2018-2-10 11:41
I use BWI www.bwifly.com and they literally had the best price for commercial insurance. I got 1 Mil liability for $475 for the whole year! And it's not AMA it's a full commercial insurance policy through Global Aerospace.

Verifly is $ 10.oo for 1 Mil.
2018-2-10
Use props
Vantage Point
New

Saint Lucia

quick question. My drone business is based in the island of St Lucia in the caribbean,where unfortunately insurance companies have zero experience with drones and will not even take the time to discuss it.
2018-2-15
Use props
Vantage Point
New

Saint Lucia

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-2-10 11:43
Verifly is $ 10.oo for 1 Mil.

Im based in St Lucia in the Caribbean
The insurance industry here has zero experience with drones and are not interested.
is there anyone i.e, verify that will cover me outside of the usa
2018-2-15
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Vantage Point Posted at 2018-2-15 04:04
Im based in St Lucia in the Caribbean
The insurance industry here has zero experience with drones and are not interested.
is there anyone i.e, verify that will cover me outside of the usa

I don't know. Contact them at verify.com and check.
2018-2-15
Use props
Diprono
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13934495 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anything but DJI care... more than 3 weeks now and nothing. Yes, they will replace the aircraft, eventually, but you should have a backup aircraft.
2018-2-17
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

Always start flight with fully charged batteries

Always maintain visual line of sight

Don't fly into sh@#t

2018-2-18
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

thomasakira Posted at 2017-2-11 09:19
VERIFLY app is great for smaller birds like the I2 or Phantom...anything under 15 lbs (commercial or for fun).  It allows for insurance on a per flight basis. The great part is that you can bill your client an exact amount - instead of trying to figure out what to charge them based on a yearly policy.

It is my understanding that charge $10 per hour. If I fly for 10 minutes, am I charged for a full hour? or is it accumulative.

Tom
2018-2-20
Use props
dcorbo
lvl.2

United States

If you are in the US and not using the drone for business State Farm has a great policy for $50 per year to coverer damage. Laibiltiy coverage can be added as well. Im a State Farm rep in NY and NJ if anyone has question about coverage feel free to PM me or call/ text my cell for a qutoe 973-479-9959. Dillon  
2018-5-10
Use props
TomK_VA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13219 ft
United States

dldp-sp Posted at 2018-2-20 01:10
It is my understanding that charge $10 per hour. If I fly for 10 minutes, am I charged for a full hour? or is it accumulative.

Tom

The per-hour charge starts coverage when you start the policy, and ends one hour later, whether or not you do anything in that hour.  This is an on-demand policy.
2018-5-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi! Thank you for inquiry, here in DJI we are offering services which will protect and provides peace of mind on your DJI product. Kindly check the link for different services that we are offering. Thank you!
https://store.dji.com/shop/service?from=menu_products
2018-5-25
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Leave it in the box at home.
2018-5-26
Use props
12Next >