49705 37 2017-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kent_chris
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34524 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All!

I wondered if anyone could advise me on the correct format (if there is one) for the camera's memory card. I recently purchased a Phantom 3 Standard and love it, as part of the deal not only did I get an 8gig micro SD in the Phantom itself, but an extra 32 gig card. The problem is, any time I insert the 32 gig card it says there's an error and to replace it.

I assumed it was the format type of the card but after checking my working card I can see that they are both FAT 32.

Is FAT 32 best? If so I've quite possibly got a faulty card.

Thanks!

2017-2-3
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Either FAT32 or ExFAT ..... both must be 32 based.

There are reports of Verbatim cards not working ... and generally advised to stick with SANDISK ...

I would FULL format the 32Gb card in a PC using FAT32 personally and then try it again. Do not do quick format unless it actually works.

Nigel
2017-2-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello kent_chris, if the SD card is formatted with the DJI GO app, the SD card that is less than or equal to 32GB should be formatted in to the FAT32 file system while the SD card that is larger than 32GB should be formatted in to the exFAT file system.
If the SD card is formatted on the computer, the SD card that is less than or equal to 32GB should only be formatted in to the FAT32 file system.
The SD card that is larger than 32GB should only be formatted in to the exFAT file system.
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I only format my micro sd cards in the drone, and have never experienced any negative results.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-4 01:25
I only format my micro sd cards in the drone, and have never experienced any negative results.

I just inserted a sandisk 64gb Extreme and it worked without any formatting.

I was wondering if I should.  Also as a blank disk doesn't have any of the upgrade info I did for the drone.
Assume that's OK?
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-4 02:34
I just inserted a sandisk 64gb Extreme and it worked without any formatting.

I was wondering if I should.  Also as a blank disk doesn't have any of the upgrade info I did for the drone.

Yes, it should be formatted. Ah, but that's your decision.
If your phantom and battery packs are updated, you don't need the bin file on the card anyway.

But formatting prepares the card, for the drone pic and video files.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-4 02:38
Yes, it should be formatted. Ah, but that's your decision.
If your phantom and battery packs are updated, you don't need the bin file on the card anyway.

Drone and batteries all updated.   Will format the card. Thanks for the advice.
2017-2-4
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

There is absolutely no reason to format a working card !!

RHP - where do you get this **** from ?

Nigel
2017-2-4
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-4 03:03
Drone and batteries all updated.   Will format the card. Thanks for the advice.

The advice is rubbish .....

If the card is working - its fine - don't waste time formatting ....

The only time formatting is actually needed - if the card gets corrupted FAT or you really want to wipe files off totally. As ;long as the card is not formatted to 64 bit or NTFS ... then there is no logic at all to formatting ...

Nigel
2017-2-4
Use props
Knobbynomates
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 2017-2-4 04:24
The advice is rubbish .....

If the card is working - its fine - don't waste time formatting ....

Agree Nigel

The only time I've had a problem with a card is when I've messed with it

If it's working, leave it

If not, format it in the drone
2017-2-4
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Basically as with all cameras - the DCIM directory etc. will be automatically written to the card when you go to record first video / photo ...

Formatting is just a waste of your time - unless card has a fault etc.

Nigel
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

The process to format the sd card in my drone takes all of a micro second. I can afford that. We waste more time folding toilet paper... Hahaha

Someone here just has a bad attitude, and I pity them. Haha
So please cheer up grumpy, Snow White doesn't live here any more. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

Verbatim is a respected make, but as I found out, do not work in the Dji drones. If it shows an error it will not format, and as others have said there is no need to format
2017-2-4
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-4 10:49
The process to format the sd card in my drone takes all of a micro second. I can afford that. We waste more time folding toilet over... Hahaha

Someone here just has a bad attitude, and pity them. Haha

Why do you persist in passing on unnecessary information and often actually wrong or not even related to the P3S ....
People want concise and relevant info - not wisecrack remarks or silly not even funny comments.

I dont have a bad attitude -  I just have little time for rubbish. I grew up ..... left the playground behind.

Nigel

2017-2-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Could you clarify what kind of 32 GB SD card did you get?
2017-2-4
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

As another pointed out - Verbatim doesn't seem to work with the P3.

Funny thing is I have a few no-name cards supplied with Chinese gear .... they all work !!!!

Nigel
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

solentlife Posted at 2017-2-4 11:25
Why do you persist in passing on unnecessary information and often actually wrong or not even related to the P3S ....
People want concise and relevant info - not wisecrack remarks or silly not even funny comments.

I wasn't talking directly to you bud. Find someone else to converse with, ok.  Please.
Besides You seem to have a large chip... My only recourse is a Stihl for those!! Haha

I have many friends here, that don't need to be coddled and bottle fed.  & You aren't on my daycare list.

Sorry, if your feelings are hurt, but that's not on me.  Being an adult takes some personal responsibility.
I'm not here to babysit your feelings or emotions. You go cry to the mods and report my thoughts. Ok
Tattle tailer...
& If I wish to deep cycle my flight packs, that's my flight pack... Not for you to debate.

Smiles are free, please  give them often. They say it takes many more muscles to frown than to smile.
So, some folks are really getting a good work out, aren't they? ;-)

Now please, have yourself a nice day.

Very Respectfully,

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-2-4 11:31
As another pointed out - Verbatim doesn't seem to work with the P3.

Funny thing is I have a few no-name cards supplied with Chinese gear .... they all work !!!!

I would ask you why you pass on incorrect information too. There is no penalty whatsoever in formatting a card, and in many cases it is beneficial. The Phantom creates a lot of hidden files that are not scavenged by the aircraft system, and there have been cases where the files get fragmented to the point that the card does not work fast enough and stops recording. The routine of copying your files off the card and then formatting it prepares the card for the next flight, and does no harm at all. And it is best to format the card in the drone, because it knows what format to use.
2017-2-4
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

In fact Geebax - I never said DON'T format - I said it is unnecessary to in RHP's terms .....

I don't give a rats whether people format or not - but RHP post gave the impression that it was necessary. To those experienced with computers and cards - know that's rubbish. To those new to Phantoms may think its gospel.

Suggest people to read my posts on this properly.

Nigel
2017-2-4
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-4 11:54
I wasn't talking directly to you bud. Find someone else to converse with, ok.  Please.
Besides You seem to have a large chip... My only recourse is a Stihl for those!! Haha

Oh - please - get a life .....

Nigel
2017-2-4
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-4 13:00
I would ask you why you pass on incorrect information too. There is no penalty whatsoever in formatting a card, and in many cases it is beneficial. The Phantom creates a lot of hidden files that are not scavenged by the aircraft system, and there have been cases where the files get fragmented to the point that the card does not work fast enough and stops recording. The routine of copying your files off the card and then formatting it prepares the card for the next flight, and does no harm at all. And it is best to format the card in the drone, because it knows what format to use.

Well I put my 64gb sandisk Extreme in and it works fine. However as it doesn't have the DHI files but that is not an issue.

So far so good.  Also once files are uploaded to my PC I delete the files on the card.

Let's just enjoy the droning and not the moaning OK.  Some people do things differently than others and I can respect that.  RHP suggested formatting the card.  Not really a big thing to get worked up about.

IF you disagree that's fine but doing a format is also not a wrong thing to do. But hey if it aint broke don't fix it also works for me.
2017-2-4
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Hi Crusader - I agree ....

What I dislike is posts that imply MUST be done - which is what RHP did.

A lot of newcomers to RC buy these multi-rotors and they look to existing flyers to guide and answer. I consider it important to keep advice or information correct and to the point. Something that RHP and a couple of others I notice need to take note of.

We all like a joke and a wheeze - but there is also a time for seriousness.

I have spent a lot of effort and personal time to test / evaluate, posting up the info for others to use or not ... I don't ask reward, but I don't see RHP as example doing anything similar.
Also when I make a mistake - I admit and say so. Then move on.

The subject is now well covered, OP will make up his own mind and I hope has good flying.

Nigel

2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

solentlife Posted at 2017-2-4 21:38
Oh - please - get a life .....

Nigel

You can agree, to disagree tons. Don't matter to me.
What bothers me, is your immature insultive manner.

If you have a private bitch with me, send me PM and keep your crap, off of this forum.
No one here wants or needs to read this playground childish bull sh!t ok.  Got it? Great.

Put an end to it here and now. I'm Done reading my name in your posts. If it continues there will be serious repercussions, and it won't be pretty
Seriously, get over yourself, you aren't that cute. Haha

I have better things to do with my precious time, than to bicker back and forth with a selfish, human being. Be mature, if you can muster the courage, please. Besides you are wasting your own time and mine. Go read a good book, or tinker with your drone. Be constructive. This nonsense brings nothing to the table. Solves zero, and quite frankly is crass, arrogant and rediculous on your part.

If you are such a good person, be the very best you can be, every day. Dislike my words, but be moral.
I challenge you, to prove your worth.  The forum is not a place for this behaviour, and you know it.

There are other forums where you can act up, go there and goof off.  Keep, this place a happy place.
I'm seriously not in the mood tonight, for any negativity, as it's been a very trying day for me already.
Been working on helping an injured little boy, who has more courage than both of us together.

http://helpmykola.com/mykolas-story/

Leave me out of your negativity, I need to have a clear mind and heart. Please understand where I'm coming from, before going off on me here. If you are so brave, send this little guy Mykola your love.
Pray for him, with all your heart and soul.  May God hear your genuine pleas. Help him heal, to grow up big and strong.

It's difficult to write anymore, with tears streaming  down my face, I have to go now. Be well

God bless you too, friend. Take good care.

Smiles are free, please give them often, they are healing...

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-2-4 21:11
In fact Geebax - I never said DON'T format - I said it is unnecessary to in RHP's terms .....

I don't give a rats whether people format or not - but RHP post gave the impression that it was necessary. To those experienced with computers and cards - know that's rubbish. To those new to Phantoms may think its gospel.

You said: 'There is absolutely no reason to format a working card !! '

Given the rubbish that gets written to the card and which accumulates over time, simply formatting the card is the best way to erase all files on it and put it back to a clean initial state. And as many people have no idea what format to use (as evidenced almost every day on this forum), the simplest solution is to put it in the aircraft and perform a format there.

2017-2-5
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

My new card now has the DJI log and data info on the card after flying today.

Agree that over time lots of junk gets on cards and a format is the best way to clean the card.  

2017-2-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Poland

I carry full financial and support for not only Wife's cancer, but also her Fathers ... along with 4 other peoples serious medical situations - so casting a net for 'sympathy vote' does not work especially on a DJI forum - I prefer to keep such matters private.

Will people actually READ WHAT IS WRITTEN .... nowhere have I said absolutely not to do it ... there are many reasons to format a card and I have often used in such times. But as I repeat it is not necessary to format for the sake of formatting. If it works - why fix what ain't broke ? And I prefer to keep my bin and text file on it for future battery's etc.

Nigel - that hard-ass Brit ....

2017-2-5
Use props
kent_chris
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for all your replies.  I had a strange result in the end. I originally tried to format the card using the app but it seemed as though the app or the Phantom itself didn't want to play ball and flat out refused the card - I formatted both cards I had along with another one I had in my new GoPro Hero 5 Black (I was very lucky for my birthday!) - all matched the same format system, the 32 gig card still didnt want to work but the others were fine. What's ever weirder is the same card that the Phantom didnt like, was fine in the GoPro. Very strange!

I've swapped the cards around now and havent had any problems since then. I think I'll never know why the original 32gb card didnt want to work.
2017-2-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
United Kingdom

Hi Kent ... its not unusual ... but the main point is you found a solution and it works.

Now go enjoy the flights !!

Nigel
2017-2-10
Use props
sostcraig
New

United States

Newbee looking for advice...

Even after I transfer my videos off of my 64 GB card and (supposedly) delete the files from the card after the transfer, the available space does not open up on the 64 GB card.  I have had to reformat the card when I put it back into the P3S.  Which then means the new videos are named the same as older ones I've already transferred.  I have to change the file name manually so as not to copy over older (different) videos which have the same name (DJI_0001.MOV, DJI_002.MOV, etc...)

Any advice on how to transfer files off the memory card and not have to reformat the drive each time?

I've tried both to manually copy to hard drive and delete files from the card, as well as use iPhoto to transfer (and select to delete the files from the card after transfer).

Thx.
2017-2-10
Use props
sostcraig
New

United States

Correction, meant to say: "Any advice on how to transfer files off the memory card and not have to reformat the CARD each time?"
2017-2-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

sostcraig@gmail Posted at 2017-2-10 21:58

Even after I transfer my videos off of my 64 GB card and (supposedly) delete the files from the card after the transfer, the available space does not open up on the 64 GB card.  I have had to reformat the card when I put it back into the P3S.  Which then means the new videos are named the same as older ones I've already transferred.  I have to change the file name manually so as not to copy over older (different) videos which have the same name (DJI_0001.MOV, DJI_002.MOV, etc...)

One reason the full space does not become available is that there are lots of hidden files on the card. So simply copying and deleting your photos and movies does not clean up the card. But a format does remove all those files.

One way to avoid duplicate file names is to put the files into a different folder each time, perhaps a folder using the date of the flight as a name.

2017-2-10
Use props
kent_chris
lvl.1
United Kingdom

sostcraig@gmail Posted at 2017-2-10 21:58

I'm aware of external storage that doesn't reallocate free space until the recycle bin of the machine doing the deleting has been emptied.

I had a situation where I'd deleted a load of files from an old USB drive, ejected and put it in a completely different machine and the free space allocation wasnt corrected until I put it back in the first machine and emptied the bin.

2017-2-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
United Kingdom

sostcraig@gmail Posted at 2017-2-10 22:00
Correction, meant to say: "Any advice on how to transfer files off the memory card and not have to reformat the CARD each time?"

What happens when you do a flight ... the SD card also records a cut down version of the camera video.
Second the card updates the TXT file that gives you and the AC all important info of FW installation and status.
Various other data files are recorded but in the HIDDEN archive of the card.

All you have to do is tick the properties box of the HIDDEN files and you will see them.

I suggest that you do not delete the BIN or TXT file in the root ... but you can go into the directorys and delete such as the cut down video versions ...

It is well worth doing as I did - investigate what gets recorded to the card ... checking out what each folder contains and seeing what can and should not be deleted.

As many here are aware - I am not an advocate of the Format every time - basically because I can navigate my way round directorys and identify useful files.
When you format that card ... what do you think happens when you replace to the AC and switch on ... ? Many of the files you removed by formatting will be put back on the card.

As to the name convention of files ... this is an issue that DJI have failed to solve .. despite the digital camera industry solved it literally in first days of Digital imagery. Normal cameras as you know can be set to increment the file number even if previous files deleted. For some reason DJI has not given us that option to select in camera control.
I have same problem as OP as I have to rename my files when transferring. But I have come to a semi solution of giving the file the name I wish to have when finally processed.

Let me explain. I remove SD card from AC and put in PC with reader.
I rename to example : DJI P3S flight 3 Feb 11 2017

Then move file to PC for editing / processing. My Video editor picks up that file name and offers to save final video with that name - so in fact all I'm doing is renaming earlier in the process.

When I fly next time and record - the lack of incremental file name is no problem.

We all come to our own solutions to suit our ways ... I just put mine here as how i get round it.  

Nigel
2017-2-11
Use props
djiuser_xNzaAd9sVjfo
lvl.2

India

It is believed that if the memory card will be formatted then it will fix the issue. So, by following the below given steps, you will able to format memory card which cannot be formatted:

•        First go to “Start” button and find “Computer” and right-click on it.
•        Then, select the “Manage >Disk Management>Storage”.
•        Next find your memory card on the right panel and then right click on it and choose “Format” option.
•        Now, you need to set a appropriate “Volume label”, “File system” and “Allocation unit size”.
•        Just click the “OK” button.

For more info click: http://www.rescuedigitalmedia.com/format-memory-card-which-cannot-be-formatted
2020-4-11
Use props
fans04d0bda9
New

United States

Hi all, I have owned a phantom 3 for a few years and haven’t used for awhile but recently am getting back into. Caught a Great deal on a SanDisk - Ultra Plus 400GB microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card.  Will this work with phantom 3 standard? Thanks In advance.
2020-4-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans04d0bda9 Posted at 4-26 18:16
Hi all, I have owned a phantom 3 for a few years and haven’t used for awhile but recently am getting back into. Caught a Great deal on a SanDisk - Ultra Plus 400GB microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card.  Will this work with phantom 3 standard? Thanks In advance.

No it is too large for the aircraft to handle, and it is not a good idea to use very large cards anyway, more material to lose if you lose the aircraft. For a P3 stick with the 32GB cards.
2020-4-26
Use props
fans04d0bda9
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 4-26 19:07
No it is too large for the aircraft to handle, and it is not a good idea to use very large cards anyway, more material to lose if you lose the aircraft. For a P3 stick with the 32GB cards.

Thank you!
2020-4-27
Use props
djiuser_Vh1o8g8o6P2Y
lvl.3
Flight distance : 811788 ft
United States

from the actual experts...
https://cultofdrone.com/best-sd-card-for-mavic-mini/
2020-11-23
Use props
Advanced