Quick release prop adapters y/n? And battery dischargers
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MichaelM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3720 ft
United Kingdom

I've seen adapters on sale which supposedly change self-tightening prop connectors to the quick release type, like those found on the P4. Has anyone tried these, and would it be a good or bad idea?

Also, can anyone here recommend a decent battery discharger? I hate having to leave my P3 on for hours till the batteries are discharged before charging them again.

2017-2-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Not sure about prop adapters, but the onboard flight SIM, is a fun and educational way to deplete the flight packs.

Anyway, they will self auto discharge. You can set the number of days for that to happen within the app, check the battery page...
The best way to deplete battery voltage, is to fly... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-3
Use props
MichaelM
lvl.1
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-3 12:46
Not sure about prop adapters, but the onboard flight SIM, is a fun and educational way to deplete the flight packs.

Anyway, they will self auto discharge. You can set the number of days for that to happen within the app, check the battery page...

I haven't used them in a while and was hoping to get out and binge a bit over the weekend. But I'll need fully charged and healthy batteries for that.
2017-2-3
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

MichaelM Posted at 2017-2-3 15:23
I haven't used them in a while and was hoping to get out and binge a bit over the weekend. But I'll need fully charged and healthy batteries for that.

You don't have to discharge them before topping them up before flying.
2017-2-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MichaelM Posted at 2017-2-3 15:23

If your batteries are at or near 95% charge, you can top them off, by first turning on the battery, and then connecting them to your charger, and the charging will begin.

Please don't try flying on low batteries, as that can often lead to disaster. Or worse. ;-)

Take the time to make everything flight worthy first, and avoid potential problems.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-3
Use props
MichaelM
lvl.1
Netherlands

endotherm Posted at 2017-2-3 16:40
You don't have to discharge them before topping them up before flying.

Really? I would normally be concerned about battery memory effect. So I take it thats one of the things which makes them "intelligent" batteries. Cool.
2017-2-12
Use props
MichaelM
lvl.1
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-3 17:58
If your batteries are at or near 95% charge, you can top them off, by first turning on the battery, and then connecting them to your charger, and the charging will begin.

Please don't try flying on low batteries, as that can often lead to disaster. Or worse. ;-)

I would never consider flying on a low battery charge. The possibilities are terrifying.
2017-2-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MichaelM Posted at 2017-2-12 16:07
I would never consider flying on a low battery charge. The possibilities are terrifying.

A fully charged flight pack, is happiest before takeoff...

RedHotPoker
2017-2-12
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MichaelM Posted at 2017-2-12 16:06
Really? I would normally be concerned about battery memory effect. So I take it thats one of the things which makes them "intelligent" batteries. Cool.

No they are LIPO and that is why you don't need to worry about topping them off. I put all my batteries to discharge in 3 days. I have some of my original P3P batteries that I did not use in 1 year and half. Took them out last week, they were still at 51%, topped them off, updates the AC and the batteries and flew them for couples of hours with NO problems.

2017-2-12
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

MichaelM Posted at 2017-2-12 16:06

"Memory effect" is a problem associated with much older battery chemistries like NiCd NiMH etc. This doesn't apply to later chemistries like LiPo and other lithium based batteries.
2017-2-12
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

NiMH aren't supposed to have memory effect either.  However they do go bad faster if you charge them up full or deplete them completely too often.
The Prius used NiMH packs but would not go above 80% or below I think 20% of actual capacity and even with the usable capacity it would try and maintain I think 80% or maybe it was 60%
That's how Toyota could waranty them for 10 years or 100K miles.
2017-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules