Thinking of taking the plunge
1159 21 2017-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121460 ft
Ireland

So I have really wanted to buy a Mavic since release. I am thinking its nearly time to take the plunge.... Hopefully not literally.
I do have a few questions though if someone can help.

I am ordering from Republic of Ireland, where will it be shipped from? I have read there are decent supplies available in the UK with low wait times?

Really, are there all those problems? Should a person wait longer till all the problems are ironed out?

This extra "care" support... Correct me if I am wrong
You pay your 1yr price of I think E119
This gets me what? If I am responsible for damage, i run into a wall or something, the replace the drone for a set cost?

2017-2-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi first off, wouldn't worry to much what you read around here, there are many many more completely happy with their Mavic,
I would buy direct from dji, shipping from china takes 3 to Ireland days DHL.
dji care is just what you said everything covered except loosing your Mavic, so if it's your first AC I would get care refresh. Peace of mind.
Good luck you won't regret it...
2017-2-3
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Just drink and hope for the best
2017-2-3
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I'm not normally one for enhanced warranties, but I had no problem adding Care Refresh to my shopping cart. I also highly recommend the combo package with the extra batteries, multi-charger, case, etc.

There had been several firmware updates since the launch, so I decided it would no longer be an early adopter/bleeding edge kind of thing so went for it and am super-glad I did.

Definitely spend the effort reading the manual a few times while you are waiting for it to ship, check the forums here to stay on top of common issues and how to resolve them, bookmark the DJI Fly Safe map http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/map and research the sites you want to fly at, and when it arrives, go slow until you get comfortable with the controls and features (I'm still working on understanding how they all work myself).

Above all resist the temptation to fly inside. Actually, picking up a small $50 toy drone that you can fly inside would be a good way to get accustomed to flying. I hear there are some drone sim games you can get some practice on as well, but real stick controls will translate to your Mavic better.

Good luck!
2017-2-3
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Ireland

I definitely want to try order direct from DJI, but I am unbelievable impatient. I will get the flymore package.

Anyone in Ireland/Uk know the wait time at the moment from DJI.

Since we dont have the nice cheap insurance options that some of the American friends do I think I will defo stump up for the Care Refresh option.

2017-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-2-6 09:09
I definitely want to try order direct from DJI, but I am unbelievable impatient. I will get the flymore package.

There saying now on website 1/3 days shipping, I don't think you will get it any quicker, you can always go to website and chat if you need reassurance.
Good luck..
2017-2-6
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Ireland

1/3 days.. interesting.. so could maybe have it in Ireland by the 20th if I order this week....

Where abouts are you hallmark?? any regrets with getting the Mavic?
2017-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-2-6 09:21
1/3 days.. interesting.. so could maybe have it in Ireland by the 20th if I order this week....

Where abouts are you hallmark?? any regrets with getting the Mavic?

You might, I'm in the west of Ireland enniscrone Sligo, no no regrets, I also have P4 pro.
2017-2-6
Use props
fab6mR8WKokt
lvl.1

United States

Many, if not most, of the problems can be attributed to pilot error.  But there are also potential technical pitfalls.  Here are a few things you can do to minimize the likelihood of crashing:

1.  Thoroughly read the manual before flying the drone.

2.  Make sure the drone and RC controller firmware is up to date.

3.  Go through the DJI Go 4 app settings and make sure you understand how each setting will affect the drone's behavior.

4.  Start off flying very conservatively, until you gain confidence and skill.

5.  Set an appropriate RTH altitude before each flight.

6.  Make sure you've set a good home point at the start of every flight.

7.  Avoid routinely using auto RTH to get the drone home.  You need to be able to get it back on your own.  And if you do use auto RTH, make sure to monitor the drone and be prepared to take control if it starts doing something stupid.  This is true for all intelligent flight modes.

8.  Avoid flying at extremely long ranges, or in locations where there may be a lot of radio interference that could cause you to lose contact with the drone. (Make sure your drone is set to RTH in the event you do lose contact).

9.  Make sure the drone's compass is calibrated properly, and avoid flying near metal or other objects that could affect the accuracy of the drone's magnet.  (Problems with the magnet seem to be a common cause of loss of control/crashes).

10.  Avoid running low on battery power--leave yourself a reserve.

11.  If you do run low on battery power, avoid the urge to return to home at full throttle in sport mode..  Full throttle is the least efficient way to fly the drone.

12.  Be aware of how wind will affect the drone.  If you have a tailwind on the way out, understand that you'll have a headwind on the return leg, and will require considerably more battery to bring the drone home than it took for the outbound leg.

13.  Peruse this forum regularly to learn from other's mistakes.

I'm sure others will have additional suggestions.
2017-2-6
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Ireland

Thanks for the info.

I havent even ordered yet and I havent even odered and I have already read the manual and watched a load of do's and dont videos. And I am reading all the "horror" stories here too to try prepare myself.

I have a very definite plan of using my local rugby club grounds for first testing etc...

I want to be proficient by May for a trip to Donegal. I have some things I would really like to capture while I am up there

. I just need to order and receive the thing now

2017-2-6
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Ireland

Tell me this, if I find a reputable supplier in the UK with the Mavic Fly More in stock is there any reason why I shouldnt order of them and use DJI direct?
2017-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-2-7 07:44
Tell me this, if I find a reputable supplier in the UK with the Mavic Fly More in stock is there any reason why I shouldnt order of them and use DJI direct?

Shouldn't make much difference, just get it, and then take out dji care you will have 48hrs after you activate.
2017-2-7
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-7 12:26
Shouldn't make much difference, just get it, and then take out dji care you will have 48hrs after you activate.

Well the boss, i mean bank manager, i mean ball and chain, i mean darling women in my life seems to have no objections....

Currently on a waiting list in http://www.radiocontrolledshop.ie/ and going to ring Jessops in Newry, apparently they had them in stock in the passed few days.

Does anyone know if there is any kind of insurance available yet on the irish market? Have found 2 "gadget" insurance companies that have blogged about it, but dont seem to be selling any cover yet.
2017-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-2-7 13:35
Well the boss, i mean bank manager, i mean ball and chain, i mean darling women in my life seems to have no objections....

Currently on a waiting list in http://www.radiocontrolledshop.ie/ and going to ring Jessops in Newry, apparently they had them in stock in the passed few days.

Yes insurance is hard to get, commercial is very expensive, if you find any let us know.

Regarding the better half,  I only have one problem there, if I die and my wife sells my toys for the price I told her I paid for them, lol
2017-2-7
Use props
fab6mR8WKokt
lvl.1

United States

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-2-7 13:35

Have you decided against DJI Care Refresh?
2017-2-7
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-7 13:44
Yes insurance is hard to get, commercial is very expensive, if you find any let us know.

Regarding the better half,  I only have one problem there, if I die and my wife sells my toys for the price I told her I paid for them, lol

Well fortunately (or unfortunately) my better half is a bit of a tech head too, and knows exactly what all my things cost... Its only the cars that she is not entirely sure about...
2017-2-8
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Ireland

fab6mR8WKokt Posted at 2017-2-7 14:03
Have you decided against DJI Care Refresh?

Nope, not decided against it at all, just looking at all the options and wanted to try and get cover for complete loss... but its not looking good.
2017-2-8
Use props
Phroco
lvl.1
Flight distance : 354 ft
United Kingdom

Got mine last week. Ordered on the Monday, delivered on Wednesday. It was the basic MVP direct from DJI and I'm in the UK.
2017-2-8
Use props
Phroco
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Got mine last week. Ordered on the Monday, delivered on Wednesday. It was the basic MVP direct from DJI and I'm in the UK.
2017-2-8
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Ireland

Phroco Posted at 2017-2-8 01:53

Basic MVP? As not the Fly More Package, just he basic drone, one battery no bag etc?
2017-2-8
Use props
Phroco
lvl.1
United Kingdom

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-2-8 02:14
Basic MVP? As not the Fly More Package, just he basic drone, one battery no bag etc?

Yes. I have since heard of people who have had their FM shipments delayed because of postal issues relating to the additional battery. This wasn't why I didn't get the Fly More though, I just couldn't justify that spend all in one go, though I'm sure I'll end up paying more over time
Edit - I did also get the refresh package from DJI not that I expect that would make any difference.
2017-2-8
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Ireland

Phroco Posted at 2017-2-8 03:02
Yes. I have since heard of people who have had their FM shipments delayed because of postal issues relating to the additional battery. This wasn't why I didn't get the Fly More though, I just couldn't justify that spend all in one go, though I'm sure I'll end up paying more over time
Edit - I did also get the refresh package from DJI not that I expect that would make any difference.

Its the additional batteries for me that does it... I know from the get go that I will not be happy with just 20 odd minutes of flight between charges. The rest is just handy to have.

My drive has dropped slightly. I had a weeks holidays booked on the 20th of Feb which I have just had to cancel to facilitate an engineer visit. I was guaranteed 3 uninterrupted days to just go test  and learn, which is rare with 2 young kids
So I am happy now to just wait on my list to be able to collect it in person here in Ireland.
2017-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules