Brand New Mavic came with broken gimbal backing!?
4835 34 2017-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
utahskier
lvl.2
United States

After a month and half wait from apple, I finally recieved my drone yesterday.  I took it out on two flights without incident and was very pleased with how the Mavic performed. However, when I went to put the small protector piece that stabilizes the gimbal on, I noticed that there was a small crack on the lolipop shaped piece of metal (maybe plastic?) that is directly behind the gimbal.  After further investigating the piece, I saw that there was also a small crack near the screw on the left.  While this is not a huge issue, it wasn't caused by me, and I feel that it should be taken care of immediatly.  Again, the drone flew perfectly and without any incident or indication of an issue.  I called the US support line and sent them pictures, and they told me to send the drone back in, which would take 2-3 weeks, so that they could replace the worlds smallest, and most easily replaceable part.  When I asked if they could send me the piece and that I'd pay for it, they said that it wasn't availabe for a small parts request.  Not only does this not make sense (its literally 2 screws!!!!) as this is easily replaceable by anyone, but it fits the definition of a small parts request perfectly! It doens't get any smaller or part like than this.  When I asked if they had the parts at their repair facility they said they don't have any parts and that all mavics are just being replaced with a new one.  This would make sense on why it takes so long, as they literally replace every drone thats sent to them.  Not only does this take more time than simply fixing small issues, but it further jams up other peoples new orders for the mavic as well.  All I want is the small piece to be shipped to me, it is not a crazy thing to request, and it would help DJI do more important things like fix peoples drones with real issues, or make more mavics for all the new orders. Please if any of the moderators can help me out in getting this part I would be forever gratefull.
20170203_142947.jpg
2017-2-3
Use props
utahskier
lvl.2
United States

@DJI-Thor @DJI-Ken
2017-2-3
Use props
utahskier
lvl.2
United States

Just saw this other thread where it seems others have received broken gimbals on arrival.https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D391%26typeid%3D391[/url]
2017-2-3
Use props
talingo
New

Panama

utahskier Posted at 2017-2-3 15:22
Just saw this other thread where it seems others have received broken gimbals on arrival. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D391%26typeid%3D391[/url]

I can’t believe this.  I haven’t flown mine jet, just tested the gimbal and it looks ok.  If you get this part please let me know so I can order it.  I live in Central America.  It will be a pain send this back for such a small part.
2017-2-3
Use props
utahskier
lvl.2
United States

talingo Posted at 2017-2-3 15:43
I can’t believe this.  I haven’t flown mine jet, just tested the gimbal and it looks ok.  If you get this part please let me know so I can order it.  I live in Central America.  It will be a pain send this back for such a small part.

I think if enough of us bug dji they will have to issue some sort of part replacement, my guess is that there are a lot of mavics that were shipped with this exact issue.  I'll keep you posted.
2017-2-3
Use props
utahskier
lvl.2
United States

I wonder if anyone has access to a 3D printer and could make this part??? I would pay good money for this little guy so I didn't have to send it back.
2017-2-3
Use props
fans25b84037
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65814 ft
United States

I would take it off and JB weld or use 30 minute epoxy to repair it. Looks like it's just a cover. I wouldn't send it back for that. Mine came with the gimble dislodged from the protective holder. Nothing broke and flys and works fine. Maybe DJI could add some tape to hole the gimble in the holder when shipping. When parts are available you can change it if you want.
2017-2-3
Use props
General_Lee8620
lvl.1
Flight distance : 97867 ft
United States

fans25b84037 Posted at 2017-2-3 16:44
I would take it off and JB weld or use 30 minute epoxy to repair it. Looks like it's just a cover. I wouldn't send it back for that. Mine came with the gimble dislodged from the protective holder. Nothing broke and flys and works fine. Maybe DJI could add some tape to hole the gimble in the holder when shipping. When parts are available you can change it if you want.

Mine did too but I didn't send mine back and will not send it either!
2017-2-3
Use props
talingo
New

Panama

OMG. I was looking at the broken piece and it felt inside the holes that are on the side of the mavic, just beside the gimbal plate.  It's like wining the Lottery.    I could hear it inside but then it stoped   It should be trapped in some point inside.   I hope this doesn't affect anything.  I'm not opening and risking everything for that tiny part.
What do yo think ?
2017-2-3
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

I doubt that they'll send you a new one as replacement if you send your Mavic in to the repair facility. More than likely it will be a refurbished one that someone else sent back and was repaired. Just like yours will be repaired and sent to someone else.

Sucks that it happened to you. There seems to be some QC issues and probably a lot of pressure to get these built and out the door in a hurry due to demand.
2017-2-3
Use props
AESTHETIC VIEWS
lvl.2
United States

I had the same exact defect upon arrival. I contacted dji and sent it back now I have to wait again.
2017-2-3
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Spain

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-2-3 18:01
I doubt that they'll send you a new one as replacement if you send your Mavic in to the repair facility. More than likely it will be a refurbished one that someone else sent back and was repaired. Just like yours will be repaired and sent to someone else.

Sucks that it happened to you. There seems to be some QC issues and probably a lot of pressure to get these built and out the door in a hurry due to demand.

Funny you said this because 2 months ago I had to send mine in for repair and they send me a new craft which my serial number did not match up and I told me what happen to my older craft they did not respond
2017-2-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry utahskier, it's not recommended to change that part by yourself and the drone will be out of the warranty for improper installation or operation.
I'd suggest you to follow our support's advice and send it in for fixing.
Or you could fill in an online repair request form and apply for pickup here. https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
2017-2-3
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

watuse Posted at 2017-2-3 19:15
Funny you said this because 2 months ago I had to send mine in for repair and they send me a new craft which my serial number did not match up and I told me what happen to my older craft they did not respond

yep. They're not going to throw your returned Mavic in the garbage, they're going to pay some bloke $15 an hour to repair it and send it to a customer as their replacement. $$$$
2017-2-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

watuse Posted at 2017-2-3 19:15

Could you please provide me with your case number, watuse?
I'll help to look into it.
2017-2-3
Use props
utahskier
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I contacted DJI in California and they are seeing if there is anything can do that would minimize the wait time.  My concern if I send it back is that it'll be completely different drone. If my unit (and many others) came brand new like this, than whats to say that it won't have the same issue, or another, when I do get it back from repair.
2017-2-3
Use props
MR BringIt
lvl.2
United States

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to just return it and get your money back. Then buy it again.  It sucks to essentially pay full price for a refurb. That is what this scenario amounts to it seems. Sure you would need to wait for another. But it would be new at least.
2017-2-3
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-3 20:00
Could you please provide me with your case number, watuse?
I'll help to look into it.

here is my case number CAS-371048-C6Q2B6
2017-2-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

watuse Posted at 2017-2-3 22:15
here is my case number CAS-371048-C6Q2B6

Sorry for the late reply.
I have brought this to the attention of our support team and they will help to find out what's going on with your case.
2017-2-5
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-5 18:04
Sorry for the late reply.
I have brought this to the attention of our support team and they will help to find out what's going on with your case.

the drone is fine the one they sent me or if it is a repair one, but I just notice that the one I sent for repair and the one I got now is different it is a different serial number..... But over all the drone is fine I manage to figure out the problem why I was getting that Gimbal error pitch something. I think it is not recommended to update the firmware with the Assistant app, I downgraded to firmware in the assistant app and then upgraded the firmware with the DJI go app connected to the RC via the iPhone 6 plus. once I upgrade the RC and the craft with the latest firmware the gimbal issue has cease, also I have not had time to test it because we have had bad weather and very high winds in north of spain lately since the new updated DJI GO 4 app But sometimes when I am flying I used to get Motor overload in the part where it is in the DJI go app the green part of the app where it says ready to fly well whenI was flying sometimes I will get Motor overload in the sport mode, I cannot tell you if that ceased but that was one of the error messages or warning messages, another warning message was Battery over current in the same spot where you see in the DJI go app 4 where it says ready to fly I would get a message saying battery overcurrent or battery overlaod......
2017-2-6
Use props
rowdy1
New
Flight distance : 4229 ft
United States

utahskier, mine has the same piece broken, it's meant to fit into the slot on the gimbal clamp, but when broken it allows the gimbal to swing free even when the clamp is in place.
2017-4-5
Use props
rowdy1
New
Flight distance : 4229 ft
United States

utahskier,
You are correct, this is probably one of the easiest fixes on the entire aircraft. Would appreciate a heads up if anyone finds a place where this part could be ordered from, otherwise I will probably attempt repairing myself. I will not send it in unless I could be guaranteed to receive my Mavic back. I have installed a custom vinyl skin, and do not want to lose that modification, or what it cost me.
2017-4-5
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

This sucks. This is apparently a brand new Mavic that arrives damaged. When a customer is willing to fix this small issue him selves, and even pay for the small replacement part DJI should really try to help him out. This repair is so easy to do, why do DJI answer with this warranty BS. They should be glad they have one less Mavic in the repair line of faulty drones.
2017-4-5
Use props
utahskier
lvl.2
United States

fansc2962bbc Posted at 2017-4-5 23:57
This sucks. This is apparently a brand new Mavic that arrives damaged. When a customer is willing to fix this small issue him selves, and even pay for the small replacement part DJI should really try to help him out. This repair is so easy to do, why do DJI answer with this warranty BS. They should be glad they have one less Mavic in the repair line of faulty drones.

Honestly if you bug them enough they will listen, I didn't expect it to work but it did!  I actually got the small gimbal backing from DJI USA after talking to several different managers.  I convinced them to take the part of a unit that was broken, but had a good gimbal backing still.  It took about two weeks and some follow up (had to call and remind them a few times lol) but they ended up sending me some extra spare parts too.  Maybe I got lucky but so far DJI service/repairs impressed me, especially with all of the horror stories coming out of this forum.  
2017-4-6
Use props
DFS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 673829 ft
United Kingdom

I have same problem and i can't find this part. If somebody find it please send me link. Thank you.
2017-5-2
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

I have the same problem near one of the screws which has been tighten to hard. I won't send my Mavic to repair, because there is no need to - my damage is not as big as yours.

And @DJI Mindy why don't fix this by ourselves? I guess we do a way better job than your mechanics if you look at the number of affected Mavics - I mean loosen and thighten 2 screws won't be a big deal ;-)
2017-5-2
Use props
utahskier
lvl.2
United States

DFS Posted at 2017-5-2 03:47
I have same problem and i can't find this part. If somebody find it please send me link. Thank you.

try reaching out to repair and ask them to take it off of DOA unit.  It took some begging but was totally worth it!
2017-5-3
Use props
Majorb98
lvl.1
Flight distance : 192336 ft
United States

Same broken piece here.
2017-5-6
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

I lost my 5d button while back, wish they sold the little parts, even if overpriced still buy. I guess could 3d print it, maybe check ebay there's printers making money on mavic parts.
2017-5-6
Use props
Sully14
New
United States

I have the same problem. The small plate broke in half.   Can we order this part yet?   
2018-1-1
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I sent you a PM.
2018-1-1
Use props
fansc2d9f57d
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

Same piece is broken for me I live in Dubai how I can get this piece the back cover of the gimble!!!
2018-12-27
Use props
fansc2d9f57d
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

The same piece is broken for me as well the back cover of my gimble which covers the wire from the gimble to the drone. I live in Dubai please advise how to get this cover!!!

Your quick response is appreciated.
2018-12-27
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

I recently had this issue, except it wasn't on arrival.  I've had my Mavic Pro for a couple of years now.  And my plate cracked near the two screws.

I did a lot of research to see what other had done.  Originally, I feared i would have to send in and wasn't comfortable with the thought of getting a different drone back as mine has been highly reliable.

Most of my research indicated this to be a non critical part.  As mentioned by others, its purpose is to facilitate the locking bracket when the camera is in transport.  And yes, it should be replaced so that it can be locked.

It seems there are replacement parts to several of these small cover plates.  I found a few on ebay, as indicated by this listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Origina ... 2060353.m1438.l2649

Part 10 is the one I ordered.

The part came, appeared to be an identical match and was easily replaced in about 5 minutes by carefully removing the two screws, lifting the broken plate away from the wires it protects, then lining up the wires for overlay of the new replacement part.  Then insert the two screws.  Good as new.  Cost less than $5 and took about 2-3 weeks to receive the part.

I know this thread is a couple of years old, but found no other thread with a how to repair suggestion.  So I'm taking advantage of this thread to add this information to help others who may encounter and wish to take on a very easy DIY repair.......
2018-12-29
Use props
djiuser_vHQL66MS9xac
lvl.1
Flight distance : 309649 ft
Jamaica

My dji mini 2 is not showing battery status neither cell Stat of the batteries ....having a solid red light down the back and can't take off massage....getting hot also...
2021-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules