Osmo use on off road vehicles.
2057 9 2017-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Coyotee49
lvl.1

United States

I am looking for a gimble mounted camera to mount on a UTV for off road use I want the camera to stay stable and level while I drive. If I am in a high banked dune the camera is level and you can see the angle of the dune with out a gimble everything just looks flat you cannot see the terrain. I will use the car mount or make another mount to mount to the front roll bar of the UTV. Is the Osmo able to do this I have a Phantom 4. So I like the DJI"s camera.  The osmos is one option I am looking at for this. But I cannot find where anyone else has done this. I can only find information with bikes or mounted on your person.
2017-2-4
Use props
Coyotee49
lvl.1

United States

Well it seems I have had a few views but no replies. I have gone ahead and purchased an Osmo+ with a Z-axsis and a car mount to see if this works I will post my findings
2017-2-6
Use props
berndv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2953 ft
Netherlands

Sorry I didn't see your question before. The Osmo will be capable of keeping the horizon level and can help visualize the steepness of the dunes.
I only think that the Z-Axis might be a waste of money for this. The Z-Axis works nicely for an even wobble like a walk but not for a bouncing car.
Another issue I am experiencing while offroading is that sometimes i can see the Osmo's camera vibrating heavily when driving on a hard trail. And although sometime when I see it happen, it won't show in the images but there are also times when it definitely shows. But if your driving in sand dunes this might not become a problem as that sort of underground is usually soft
2017-2-6
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Flight distance : 826854 ft
Canada

What may be a problem is the sand itself. The fine particles can easily find their way into the gimbal motors and potentially seize or impair them.
2017-2-6
Use props
Coyotee49
lvl.1

United States

berndv Posted at 2017-2-6 06:22
Sorry I didn't see your question before. The Osmo will be capable of keeping the horizon level and can help visualize the steepness of the dunes.
I only think that the Z-Axis might be a waste of money for this. The Z-Axis works nicely for an even wobble like a walk but not for a bouncing car.
Another issue I am experiencing while offroading is that sometimes i can see the Osmo's camera vibrating heavily when driving on a hard trail. And although sometime when I see it happen, it won't show in the images but there are also times when it definitely shows. But if your driving in sand dunes this might not become a problem as that sort of underground is usually soft

Thanks I am hoping the z=axis will absorb a lot of that extra  vibration. but I will let you know because I do both regular desert riding and dunes.
2017-2-6
Use props
Coyotee49
lvl.1

United States

breezeway95 Posted at 2017-2-6 07:01
What may be a problem is the sand itself. The fine particles can easily find their way into the gimbal motors and potentially seize or impair them.

Actually if the wind is not up the sand stays down pretty well.  If it is windy I will leave the Oslo in the case.
2017-2-6
Use props
djiuser_aKR6EyC1QOu1
New

United States

Coyotee49@yahoo Posted at 2017-2-6 05:20
Well it seems I have had a few views but no replies. I have gone ahead and purchased an Osmo+ with a Z-axsis and a car mount to see if this works I will post my findings

I have only recently been introduced to the OSMO+ so not very knowledgable yet.

How is the Osmo+ working out on your off-road vehicle?

I would like to make a roof platform and mount one on my truck for my overlanding trips.

Do I need to put a transparent dome over it to protect it from weather

Also I need to be able to move it from vehicle to vehicle.

Seems like the Samsung Tab S2 is a reasonable platform for display control. (I plan to use one for navigation so dual use would be great)

Can the OSMO+ record continuously for hours by dumping the video to the tablet?

Can it be plugged directly into the vehicle 12V instead of relying on battery power.

Thanks

Craig
2018-5-25
Use props
lekanrio
New

Nigeria

Actually, the Z - Axis may not really give you all you want. Nevertheless, I will recommend you get a customized tool from https://www.roguefab.com/ They can help you design tools you can use to make a proper positioning of the Z - Axis camera for a better view.
2021-7-27
Use props
lekanrio
New

Nigeria

Actually, the Z - Axis may not really give you all you want. Nevertheless, I will recommend you get a customized tool from roguefab. They can help you design tools you can use to make a proper positioning of the Z - Axis camera for a better view.
2021-7-27
Use props
weerebellie
New

Pakistan

One problem is that the majority of the winch used in FJ cruisers are beyond range for the typical person. And more cheap ones lack the power necessary to finish the job. I'll include the 6 most common FJ cruiser winches throughout this blog of your convenience.
2022-10-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules