P3Standard FPV range and follow-me
770 8 2017-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nikitapiankov
lvl.1
United States

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting into drones. P3S seems to fit my needs, but I'd like to understand 2 things:
1. It specifies that FPV works on WiFi. That worries me - how can it keep receiving any signal once the drone gets away by more than 100ft? Or does WiFi refer to just connection between the controller and smartphone, while drone-controller communication works just fine at 1000ft? Unfortunately, the marketing materials are very confusing on this point.
2. Does the standard have any follow-me capability? If so, can it follow the controller or do some sort of image recognition? This is less critical to me, but would be nice to have.

Thank you! Nikita.

2017-2-4
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, it has follow me, and it uses your mobile device's GPS to work out where you are to follow you. That said I haven't had it working well consistently
2017-2-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Wifi in this case refers to the 2.4 ghz bandwidth.

The full explanation of how the whole FPV and telemetry system works for a P3S is very complicated.

The simple answer is, the FPV and telemetry is transmitted via a 2.4 ghz signal from the aircraft and received by a 2.4 ghz antenna and tranceiver inside your controller.  The stock range is something like 500-700 meters.  The data is then transmitted on another 2.4 ghz frequency from the transceiver and is received by your mobile device.  The range, of course, is much less, since the mobile device is usually only a couple inches from the controller.

Hope this helps.  
2017-2-4
Use props
fans104c000d
New

United Kingdom

In laymans terms, the wifi is from the remote controller to your device and the controlled connects to the drone using a 2.4 ghz antenna.
2017-2-4
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

they do have issues  at times but i get about 3000 ft with mine depending on firmware 1.6.8 and 1.8.0 i geat same but 1.7.9 i had less than  a 1000ft  and i did in fact updade and downgrade  a few time to make sure
2017-2-5
Use props
nikitapiankov
lvl.1
United States

Thanks all! Looks like FPV works more or less in line with the control range of the drone. That's what I was hoping for, but wanted to make sure before buying.

As far as follow-me, no image recognition like in the Mavic or Phantom 4? Just following the controller? For what I'd like it to do, there is no way for me to have the controller on me, it would have to follow me as a visual. Even if it didn't fly but could turn the camera, that may be sufficient. But sounds like it's not an option with P3S?
2017-2-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

nikitapiankov Posted at 2017-2-5 18:50
Thanks all! Looks like FPV works more or less in line with the control range of the drone. That's what I was hoping for, but wanted to make sure before buying.

As far as follow-me, no image recognition like in the Mavic or Phantom 4? Just following the controller? For what I'd like it to do, there is no way for me to have the controller on me, it would have to follow me as a visual. Even if it didn't fly but could turn the camera, that may be sufficient. But sounds like it's not an option with P3S?

No, there is no optical recognition in a standard, all it can do is follow the position of the RC control. The Standard is an old and obsolete design, that's why it is cheap.

2017-2-5
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

The advanced/pro don' t have optical recognition either.  At least not with the stock Go app.
2017-2-5
Use props
El'KaBong
lvl.2

United States

The Litchi app uses recognition with p3s.
2017-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules