No Live Video After V1.10.1.40 Firmware Upgrade
1586 11 2017-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Westland
lvl.1
United States

[size=14.6667px]Hi,

[size=14.6667px]My first post here, but not new to the rodeo. I decided to update one of the two Inspire 1's I have for a high school program I teach. After a successful update of the AC, batteries, camera, then finally the RC, I re-linked the system, and had all controls (AC and gimbals). The status info showed V1.10.1.40 for all three (AC, Camera, RC) with no issues. Even though the histogram shows the telltale of a live image, and I can also take photos and video (saved on micro-SD card in camera), there is no[size=14.6667px] live image transmission. I decided to remove and replace that X3 camera with my spare from the other Inspire 1, with firmware V1.08.01.00. Now I had a perfect image, without issues. I then put the "problem X3" on the other Inspire 1 (running V1.08.01.00), with all functions except[size=14.6667px] live video feed; gimbals good, histogram shows brightness levels, and photos/video get recorded on microSD card.

[size=14.6667px]I am stumped; it is almost as if the encoding for video transmission has changed between the two firmware's; just my opinion. Both Inspire 1's worked fine prior to this, so I am the author of my own pain. What I want to know is if the X3 itself can be "rolled back" to earlier firmware by the user. I had also tried resetting the RC controller for image linking, using the multiple shutter-C1-C2-record-power cycle procedure I read on this forum, again to no avail.

[size=14.6667px]Thanks for taking the time to read this; I would appreciate constructive comments.

[size=14.6667px]Regards,

[size=14.6667px]Edd
2017-2-4
Use props
MarrisOtter
lvl.1

New Zealand

Sounds like a problem I had / have.  I just got a new x5 camera at the same time as I was upgrading everything to the latest firmware.

Donnie provided some excellent help and I sent my camera back to the shop.  Still away.

Thread here http://forum.dji.com/thread-83533-1-1.html
2017-2-12
Use props
Westland
lvl.1
United States

MarrisOtter Posted at 2017-2-12 18:12
Sounds like a problem I had / have.  I just got a new x5 camera at the same time as I was upgrading everything to the latest firmware.

Donnie provided some excellent help and I sent my camera back to the shop.  Still away.

MarrisOtter,

Thanks for the reply; the X3 that was "bricked" by the software upgrade is dead on either of my two Inspire 1 drones. The X3 that has the old firmware (1.08...) works on either air-frame perfectly; zero issues with transmission quality, rates, or breakups. As I said, both systems worked perfect prior to this, and I followed the proper sequence (aircraft first, controller second). This issue rests solidly with DJI, and from searching around the forums, it does not matter if these were 2014, 2015, or 2016 production cameras (X3), as they all may or may not survive through the upgrade process.
2017-2-12
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

The best way to diagnose this for sure is to take the SD card that you updated the AC and camera with and read the "Hidden File "  If lines 0800 and 1500 indicate "Device Not Detected  (DND) " then the camera In MOST cases must go in .  The only exception to this where I have  seen the "DND " on lines 0800 and 1500  and nothing was actually  wrong with the camera is if you are on the latest RC firmware and the  AC and  camera are on versions 1.8 or earlier.  The aircraft would not Link with FW incompatibility either but is worth noting that there are instances where you can get the "DND" and NOTHING is wrong with the camera, the system in this case would need to be properly updated.

Now in your case you could try to Rollback the FW on the Camera and AC  to to version 1.9  that would take the camera back to version 1.8 and the Aircraft  to 1.9. then try to re link and see if you have Video .......I can say that I have NEVER seen this work but it is the only thing I have ever seen the DJI reps recommend.

I don't see where you did anything wrong on the updating either, sometimes I have seen the "DND" come up for members who had there RC ON while updating the AC , also some cases were the OSMO was involved .  ( You did not happen to have the RC ON did you when updating the AC ?)

So bottom line I would check the SD card Hidden file and see if it indeed doses have the "DND" on lines 0800 and 1500 and if it does , try to rollback the system to 1.9 and then see if it works, You may need to re- link but you know how to do that already.  If you overwrote or erased the SD card Just load the current update again 1.10  and it will only take a few moments to update because it is already done and it will give you the same data, just note the most recent update will be at the bottom of the list.

Here is a link to the Hidden file tutorial that I wrote for this problem in mind.
How to View Hidden Files: Diagnostic tool for SD and No Signal Issue

good luck and let us know what you find
*****One line I did not understand  in your post is this :   "The status info showed V1.10.1.40 for all three (AC, Camera, RC) with no issues. "   Are You sure that the status "About " tab said that on the RC.  was 1.10.40 ?  I think you meant 1.7.40 but I want to make sure that You did not get a fualty update on the RC transmitter
donnie   

2017-2-13
Use props
Westland
lvl.1
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-13 06:05
The best way to diagnose this for sure is to take the SD card that you updated the AC and camera with and read the "Hidden File "  If lines 0800 and 1500 indicate "Device Not Detected  (DND) " then the camera In MOST cases must go in .  The only exception to this where I have  seen the "DND " on lines 0800 and 1500  and nothing was actually  wrong with the camera is if you are on the latest RC firmware and the  AC and  camera are on versions 1.8 or earlier.  The aircraft would not Link with FW incompatibility either but is worth noting that there are instances where you can get the "DND" and NOTHING is wrong with the camera, the system in this case would need to be properly updated.

Now in your case you could try to Rollback the FW on the Camera and AC  to to version 1.9  that would take the camera back to version 1.8 and the Aircraft  to 1.9. then try to re link and see if you have Video .......I can say that I have NEVER seen this work but it is the only thing I have ever seen the DJI reps recommend.

Hi Donnie,

I had tried all the above, based mostly on what you have posted on at least two websites, to no avail. My new X3 came in today, and got mounted up with no issue. The bricked X3 now waits for an Osmo handle, due to me on Friday, and that should work without any issues, from what I was told by the folks at B & H Photo-Video. Time will tell, as it always does...

Thanks to you for being a beacon for many, including myself.

Regards,

Edd
X30001.JPG
X30002.JPG
X30003.JPG
X30005.JPG
X30006.JPG
X30007.JPG
2017-2-14
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

Westland Posted at 2017-2-14 16:28
Hi Donnie,

I had tried all the above, based mostly on what you have posted on at least two websites, to no avail. My new X3 came in today, and got mounted up with no issue. The bricked X3 now waits for an Osmo handle, due to me on Friday, and that should work without any issues, from what I was told by the folks at B & H Photo-Video. Time will tell, as it always does...

Sure Edd , just wish I could have fixed it for you.....cant win em all I guess.  If it works on the Osmo  then great , from what I have heard from others in this situation for  about $75  dollars DJI will fix it  (  Usually just needs to be re-set.  )
Good Luck
***Love the shop you have too !!

donnie

2017-2-15
Use props
Westland
lvl.1
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-15 03:09
Sure Edd , just wish I could have fixed it for you.....cant win em all I guess.  If it works on the Osmo  then great , from what I have heard from others in this situation for  about $75  dollars DJI will fix it  (  Usually just needs to be re-set.  )
Good Luck
***Love the shop you have too !!

Thanks Donnie...the classroom/lab is a great working area, with 16 high-end Dell Precision workstations, 3D printers (4 of them), plasma cutter, laser cutter/engraver, ten 5-axis light industrial robots, and much more; over 1M USD in hardware & software. Although I retired from engineering in the private (defense) sector, I still continue; my client base is just younger, and more eager to learn and try new things...

Regards,

Edd
2017-2-15
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

not sure if you tried already but i recently updated my bird and remote to the lastest firmware. i use a seperate smaller SD card for updates. went to fly with my regular 16gb card that came with the inspire after turning everything on i had no image, everything functioned though. i went and removed the SD from the camera with everything still turned on and bam image comes through on the app. put card back in and it said SD card error...

not sure but worth a shot to see
2017-2-17
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

TruGreen Posted at 2017-2-17 06:48
not sure if you tried already but i recently updated my bird and remote to the lastest firmware. i use a seperate smaller SD card for updates. went to fly with my regular 16gb card that came with the inspire after turning everything on i had no image, everything functioned though. i went and removed the SD from the camera with everything still turned on and bam image comes through on the app. put card back in and it said SD card error...

not sure but worth a shot to see

You did not happen  to leave the lates firmware  update on the SD card and then try?  Just wonder if the AC thought it was an update, then when you removed the card it worked because there was no update installed and then the other SD card was clear as well.  

If not the case this is very interesting .

donnie
2017-2-18
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-18 05:40
You did not happen  to leave the lates firmware  update on the SD card and then try?  Just wonder if the AC thought it was an update, then when you removed the card it worked because there was no update installed and then the other SD card was clear as well.  

If not the case this is very interesting .

no i use a 8gb for update purpose only. after update i check to confirm sucess, delete the firmware then format the card in the bird. then use a 16gb that came with that strictly has images and videos on it. never use the 16gb for firmware
2017-2-18
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

TruGreen Posted at 2017-2-18 23:07
no i use a 8gb for update purpose only. after update i check to confirm sucess, delete the firmware then format the card in the bird. then use a 16gb that came with that strictly has images and videos on it. never use the 16gb for firmware

This is a strange problem I have never heard of .  What are you using for the GO app ?  Is it an I pad or Android device ? which one specifically ?
Try formatting the problem SD card on the aircraft once , see what happens.

donnie
2017-2-19
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-19 06:59
This is a strange problem I have never heard of .  What are you using for the GO app ?  Is it an I pad or Android device ? which one specifically ?
Try formatting the problem SD card on the aircraft once , see what happens.

samsung galaxy tab s2 8in fully updated. after i removed the card and it said the error, i was able to format it an it works fine
2017-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules