Rth Question
755 12 2017-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans2191ca76
lvl.2

United States

My app lost connection while out flying today.  Rth through the app didnt work because of the app losing connection.   

I didnt think about toggling the S2 switch, so instead the only thing i thought of would be to turn off my contoller to make it think it lost signal and hoped the rth would kick in.  And it did.

As i watched it go into rth mode, i saw it turn around (180° left turn) like normal and then it turned an additional 45° to the left and rth'ed sideways (with the right side of the craft coming towards me).  

I got her home and got her down but its never happened to ke like this before.  Has anyone else experienced this before?
2017-2-4
Use props
Jasonstarbird
lvl.2
Flight distance : 116998 ft
United States

iv'e not had that issue..but my i'm not familiar with the S2 switch at all, i always leave it in the up or fwd position.
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The main thing is, it returned to you. That's a blessing.

Why it came back sideways is not common.

Perhaps you need to do a proper calibration of your compass.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
fans2191ca76
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-4 16:47
The main thing is, it returned to you. That's a blessing.

Why it came back sideways is not common.

Calibrating my compass is a preflight check.  

I think the problem was in my app crashing.  Im using the one prior to the most recent Android update so im good there (crossing fingers).

Ill recalibrate everything and go again tomorrow.
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fans2191ca76 Posted at 2017-2-4 16:52

I think the problem was in my app crashing.  Im using the one prior to the most recent Android update so im good there (crossing fingers).

I hope that you aren't calibrating the compass prior to each and every flight..
That can actually be a negative idea, particularly if you do a bad calibration.
Do a good compass calibration and forget about it. Well, unless you happen to move several hundred miles/kilometers from the last compass calibration.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
fans2191ca76
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-4 17:02
I hope that you aren't calibrating the compass prior to each and every flight..
That can actually be a negative idea, particularly if you do a bad calibration.
Do a good compass calibration and forget about it. Well, unless you happen to move several hundred miles/kilometers from the last compass calibration.

Well, i was.....until tomorrow.

Curious as to why that would be bad?
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fans2191ca76 Posted at 2017-2-4 17:21

Because, if you continue calibrating the compass, odds are good that you will eventually do a bad calibration, then real trouble will be the result.  Once a proper compass calibration has been completed please leave it alone.  I have had my Phantom 3 Pro' for going on two years, and may have done a compass calibration 6 times. Mostly after a new Go app has been installed, and a few times following firmware upgrades. But many feel that latter is unnecessary...

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans2191ca76 Posted at 2017-2-4 17:21

The compass doesn't go out of calibration so there's no need to recalibrate a perfectly good compass.
But if you are in the calibrate-every-flight club, you run the risk of giving your Phantom a bad calibration if you do it in a bad location near a lot of steel (commonly reinforced concrete).
Here's what can happen.  This guy was lucky as it can be worse.
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-4 17:45
The compass doesn't go out of calibration so there's no need to recalibrate a perfectly good compass.
But if you are in the calibrate-every-flight club, you run the risk of giving your Phantom a bad calibration if you do it in a bad location near a lot of steel (commonly reinforced concrete).
Here's what can happen.  This guy was lucky as it can be worse.

Yes, that's the big risk, which I fear will eventually happen, should a compass recalibration be done over and over again, and again. No need. Set it and forget it. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Would Atti mode be usable in event of a compass error? i.e. is Atti mode susceptible to compass issues?
2017-2-4
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

fans2191ca76 Posted at 2017-2-4 16:52

I would do the calibration and check the main heading. For example, I rotate the drone 90 degrees to see if the heading changes and which way I am facing, if the map looks good, and it says normal I will fly high. I usually do It more like 30-40 miles than the usually place I fly, and especially after a week. Probably check and calibrate the IMU.  
2017-2-4
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

PS - toggling the S2 switch a couple of times initiates RTH, so you can use it if the app is not working. After initiating RTH, if you wish to cancel it you can by toggling S1. I do this sometimes if I am in the middle of nowhere and a little unsure of if it's orientation and direction, as it will orientate it back to the home point and start bringing it back. As with any RTH you have to be sure there is nothing obstructing the RTH height set, default 30m I believe
2017-2-5
Use props
fans2191ca76
lvl.2

United States

Thanks guys for all the help.
2017-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules