Phantom 3 Std. saying controller is 10,000 ft away at start
1189 23 2017-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tomanc
lvl.1

United States

I just received my replacement drone in the mail yesterday and I recalibrated everything and updated the firmware. When I turn on the craft and connect it sometimes thinks the controller is over 10,000 ft away at start up. You can see in this picture that it says I am over 10,000 ft away but I am sitting next to the drone in my house. I took it out flying today and noticed this and when I initate return to home it says you are very far from your current position would you like to return to the original home point or set a new one? This is concerning, what's going on?

02/04/17

02/04/17
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Set a new home point and see what happens? ;-)

Be sure to record a video, during the process. Ha
I would really like to learn, what it does then.

Perhaps you could reinstall the app, first...

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
tomanc
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-4 16:57
Set a new home point and see what happens? ;-)

Be sure to record a video, during the process. Ha

I imagine it would fly to wherever it thinks the controller is haha. That would be awful! Also, I don't know what is determining this location. I will try reinstalling the app
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

tomanc Posted at 2017-2-4 17:13
I imagine it would fly to wherever it thinks the controller is haha. That would be awful! Also, I don't know what is determining this location. I will try reinstalling the app

A Standard won't fly that far, without RC connection, so hopefully the correct home point would be the destination. Not sure, but something is Definately not right.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
tomanc
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-4 17:22
A Standard won't fly that far, without RC connection, so hopefully the correct home point would be the destination. Not sure, but something is Definately not right.

I just uninstalled DJI GO app and reinstalled and turned my P3S back on and initially it registers my location as the same as the drones and then my location jumps to that same spot on the map as before at about 10,500ft away. I'm not sure why it is choosing this same location
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

tomanc Posted at 2017-2-4 17:45
I just uninstalled DJI GO app and reinstalled and turned my P3S back on and initially it registers my location as the same as the drones and then my location jumps to that same spot on the map as before at about 10,500ft away. I'm not sure why it is choosing this same location

Once you uninstall the app, it might be wise to clean the cache and cookies, then restart the device, and reinstall the app.

Try it that way...

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
kndll
Second Officer
Flight distance : 930161 ft
Canada

if using android version 3.1.2  DON'T ,   jumping home point problem , downgrade to an older version of GO APP
2017-2-4
Use props
tomanc
lvl.1

United States

kndll Posted at 2017-2-4 17:52
if using android version 3.1.2  DON'T ,   jumping home point problem , downgrade to an older version of GO APP

what is the best go app version for android?
2017-2-4
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

tomanc Posted at 2017-2-4 17:45

Version 3.1.2 of Go app for Android has a bad bug, it's all over the forums. For now don't use 3.1.2, downgrade to either 2.9.1 or 3.0.1, they both work good.
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

tomanc Posted at 2017-2-4 17:55
what is the best go app version for android?

Best to follow the version advice above. I don't have any Android experience.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Are you on 3.1.2 or 2.9.1, maybe it is resetting the home-point?
2017-2-4
Use props
tomanc
lvl.1

United States

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-4 21:09
Are you on 3.1.2 or 2.9.1, maybe it is resetting the home-point?

I was on 3.1.2. I just downgrade to 3.0.1 and this issue seems to have resolved for now thank you
2017-2-4
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

There is an option to choose whether you are using the China map. Unchecking this option does not solve the problem on 3.1.2 but as someone else on the forum said it looks quite possible that this could be linked to the cause as the Chinese satellites apparently provide an offset false position for security!
2017-2-5
Use props
TANGOMIKE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1522451 ft
Italy

tomanc Posted at 2017-2-4 22:30
I was on 3.1.2. I just downgrade to 3.0.1 and this issue seems to have resolved for now thank you

Me too have 3.0.1 version and all works fine. Also it's the last version with google maps on device.
2017-2-5
Use props
Jasonstarbird
lvl.2
Flight distance : 116998 ft
United States

I wonder if the versions are country/region specific? I am running 3.1.2 here in the US and I have google maps and I have had zero issues with home points or the RTH function. My recommendation would be if you are going to fly with the DjiGo app, then keep the aircraft in your line of sight. set your distance and altitude limits and all that stuff. it all works. If you are going to fly long distances, then buy and use the Litchi app. if you use it in waypoint mode then it is able to travel miles away and it doesn't care what the controller or anything else is doing. as long as you have good satellites available and your mission is properly planned it'll run it and come right on back. it's a little nerve wracking the first couple times, but it's very rare for any issues to come up that I've seen so far. Granted, I've only been flying one for a couple weeks, but so far, I've not had a single problem. with the exception of the follow me function...but that works in Litchi....anyways. just curious as to why some people have google maps, some people don't is it possible that different cell phone carriers have bad signals? different cell phone brands? I'm using a Samsung GS7 and I'm on T-Mobile...
I hope everybody can get it fixed...and get back in the air!
2017-2-5
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Jasonstarbird Posted at 2017-2-5 04:53
I wonder if the versions are country/region specific? I am running 3.1.2 here in the US and I have google maps and I have had zero issues with home points or the RTH function. My recommendation would be if you are going to fly with the DjiGo app, then keep the aircraft in your line of sight. set your distance and altitude limits and all that stuff. it all works. If you are going to fly long distances, then buy and use the Litchi app. if you use it in waypoint mode then it is able to travel miles away and it doesn't care what the controller or anything else is doing. as long as you have good satellites available and your mission is properly planned it'll run it and come right on back. it's a little nerve wracking the first couple times, but it's very rare for any issues to come up that I've seen so far. Granted, I've only been flying one for a couple weeks, but so far, I've not had a single problem. with the exception of the follow me function...but that works in Litchi....anyways. just curious as to why some people have google maps, some people don't is it possible that different cell phone carriers have bad signals? different cell phone brands? I'm using a Samsung GS7 and I'm on T-Mobile...
I hope everybody can get it fixed...and get back in the air!

Look again, that it says Google map in the Go app map page. Because if your on a Android device and using Go app 3.1.2, than your the only one on the planet that has Google and not the Here maps on the Go app, not an external (3rd party) app. I myself was using that version before downgrading to 3.0.1, and it had Here maps, and the RC location was off by over 1km.
2017-2-5
Use props
Jasonstarbird
lvl.2
United States

My bad, you're correct. I'm looking at the litchi app that uses Google.
2017-2-6
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

Does 2.9.1 work fine for you guys?
2017-2-6
Use props
Jasonstarbird
lvl.2
United States

Jasonstarbird Posted at 2017-2-6 05:34
My bad, you're correct. I'm looking at the litchi app that uses Google.

I looked at it last night at home and it said here on the maps. I went out and took my wife to fly it at the park a few miles from my house and this time for sure it said google maps. so that's weird....and I tried the follow me function again....no dice. just hovered there. the point of interest worked though. definitely odd...
2017-2-6
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Jasonstarbird Posted at 2017-2-6 11:22
I looked at it last night at home and it said here on the maps. I went out and took my wife to fly it at the park a few miles from my house and this time for sure it said google maps. so that's weird....and I tried the follow me function again....no dice. just hovered there. the point of interest worked though. definitely odd...

It happened.
Twilight Zone.jpg
2017-2-6
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

Lol... I would really like them to fix these bugs.
2017-2-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

On my litchi app, the blue dot is where my mobile device is reporting its GPS location and that can sometimes be wrong since the GPS module inside my tablet is not as good as the Phantom's.  Also, I'm frequently flying from under a tree and satellite visibility is not as clear.  It doesn't mean anything provided you don't reset the home point to your current position as reported by the app.  The important thing is that the home point is correct and you don't change it.  

This wouldn't be a DJI bug.  It's simply a bad report of GPS location from the mobile device.  If you walked around a little bit, the reported GPS location of your mobile device would probably improve.  
2017-2-9
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

I dont really care about linchi. I use GoApp 2.9.1 I am talking about the RTH issue.
2017-2-9
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

dji fixes the homepoint jumping in the newest 3.12 582 updateed 2 days ago
2017-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules