Green dot in drone footage
2423 7 2017-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans55eaa35f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 106926 ft
United States

Just got the Mavic a couple days ago and have noticed a green dot in my footage when the drone is facing into the sun. Is this a normal overexposure scenerario where the light could be bouncing off the lens, or could there be something wrong with the lens? I do plan on getting ND filters soon, not sure if that would help or not, and I don't intend to shooting into the sun very often. Example video below, shot at 4k, white balance is on auto.
Green dot at very beggining
Tap Focused Camera at 0:13s
Green dot reappears at 0:20s

2017-2-4
Use props
StianGel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

This is completely normal. Just a lens flare. You get them with all cameras with the sun hitting the lens.
I think it will be reduced with ND filters, but not completely gone.
2017-2-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

If you need to face the  sun you need to use ND filters otherwise keep your camera back to the sun.

With stills you can use sun lens flare to enhance some of you pictures for a dramatic look... See below links.

sun flares

sun flares2

The only way to learn is to keep playing around and discovering new tricks...

2017-2-4
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

It's not normal and it doesn't look like sun flare at all. If it is sun flare we would have the same perfect green dot on everyone's footage when facing sun.
2017-2-5
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Doesn't look normal to me either.
Have you got the  protection dome fitted?
2017-2-5
Use props
CeBe
lvl.1

Germany

Hi there, the video seems to be deleted, but i also have a blue or tgreen dot in my videos.. how did you solve this???
2023-5-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

CeBe Posted at 5-6 10:52
Hi there, the video seems to be deleted, but i also have a blue or tgreen dot in my videos.. how did you solve this???

how did you solve this?
It's simple.
It's flare and it's caused by shooting directly towards teh sun.
Avoid shooting straight at the sun and you avoid flare.
2023-5-6
Use props
CeBe
lvl.1

Germany

At the end its not too bad and it really is just in early golden hour in my case. Generally the lens flare is less than with previous models..if it's there , it's just more concentrated. What helped me quite a lot:
bought a camera hood for my DJI Mini 3 and the angle I get lens-flare is much smaller than it is without the hood.
2023-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules