Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
App Request - change behaviour of 'Reset' File Index Mode
2067 2 2017-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
snuggypossum
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I recently experienced an issue with the Mavic where upon using a new sd card (I'd previously only used the supplied one), the Go4 app unbeknowingly changed the File Index Mode from Continuous to Reset with no warning.  Having no reason to even be aware of this setting prior to this issue, it was incredibly disheartening to get back from a day's filming and find that all the files from the first flight had been overwritten by those from the second flight.  I now feel I have to double check this setting after every battery change to ensure I'm not going to inadvertantly overwrite video from the previous flight.
I understand some people replace the sd card with every battery change, but I imagine the vast majority of people have high capacity cards that take longer to fill than a single battery lasts, so will use the same card for multiple flights.  I can understand the use of resetting the file names for some people/occasions, but I can't see the benefit of it automatically overwriting existing files, particularly when the index gets reset on every battery change.  If files on the card aren't needed, we can either reformat the card to free all the space, or go into the file review mode to delete individual clips to free space.

Can we change the behaviour of the app so it either:
(a) shows a warning that existing files will be overwritten, or
(b) recognises existing files in the '100MEDIA' folder and creates a new incremental '101MEDIA' folder, or
(c) appends something to the file name so they're still indexed from 0001 but are named slightly differently to existing files, e.g. DJI_2_0001.mov

There are enough file renaming utilities out there that renumbering files after downloading them to the computer is straightforward enough.

If I understand correctly then even with the File Index Mode set to Continuous, the number will be reset to 0001 if the card is reformatted.  This differs from the behaviour of my SLR where the image number continues to count based on the lifetime shutter click up to 9999 when it then resets back to 0001 but increments the folder name.  I would actually prefer this method, even though I log video clips into dated folders.

2017-2-5
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

It looks like the Mavic 2 also seems to reset the index count when either you replace the card or format it from the Mavic.  This is not the same behavior I experienced with my Phantom 3 Advanced.  For the Phantom, it kept the sequence count no matter the card or if I formatted it from the app.  With the Phantom, I was even able to force the index to the correct current # after having set the index to Continuous by adding dummy files to the card up to the number I wanted to resume.
2018-9-3
Use props
AdamStanford
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4458642 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi I have had this happen on the Inspire 2  at least twice during large area surveys taking in excess of 1000 images. I have been vigilant of checking that file naming is set to continuous, but each time it has happened there has been a short loss of connection with the controller. The flight continues but then it becomes apparent that the early files are being overwritten. This really is unacceptable. The firmware needs updating on all models so that file naming can extend up to 9999 when it then resets back to 0001 but increments the folder name. 999 is not enough if there is a problem and this ridiculous reset thing kicks in without warning. You would think with the likes of Hassleblad on board there would be someone who could sort this out now.....
2019-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules