Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alex Assenmache
Second Officer
Flight distance : 216430 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Hello guys,
we're launching a series of DJI's Inspire 2 batteries tests, this is the first one, hovering with 2 batteries, hope you like it, feedback is welcome

2017-2-6
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello  Alex

Thank you for sharing your information with us. IMO the last 10% is not usable because of the automated systems will shut down the drone. Actually at 30% I would be landing anyway, because I do not want to risk the Inspire not getting back to home point and safety margin of power.  I know everyone if looking at this differently, but for me a hover test is not really a real world measurement. You would need to simulate some flying at speed with hovering combined to give us the true battery test. Yes, lots of variables that would affect the battery life. But I did not buy the Inspire to sit in a hover for videos
I am sure you are doing more tests that would represent flying an Inspire on a typical video shoot and this would mean more to me.

All the best and keep up the good work
Rich
2017-2-6
Use props
userf1d95a1ea1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 448110 ft
United States

I'd like to see the x4s in play too. Also, remember to be recording in the bird because in my experience, recording takes power and it reduces battery time as well.
2017-2-6
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

Thanks Alex!!  Looks like 15min of realtime flying....  
2017-2-6
Use props
rmaxwell.dccnet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I would suggest that you test the battery life while flying forward at a medium speed.  I know from experience that a helicopter uses less energy when translated into forward flight vs hovering.  I do not know if this is true for a quadcopter.  It would be an interesting test.

Thanks for you work in this area.

Ray M
2017-2-6
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Alex!
2017-2-6
Use props
WellFlightz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 181358 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-2-6 10:05
Hello  Alex

Thank you for sharing your information with us. IMO the last 10% is not usable because of the automated systems will shut down the drone. Actually at 30% I would be landing anyway, because I do not want to risk the Inspire not getting back to home point and safety margin of power.  I know everyone if looking at this differently, but for me a hover test is not really a real world measurement. You would need to simulate some flying at speed with hovering combined to give us the true battery test. Yes, lots of variables that would affect the battery life. But I did not buy the Inspire to sit in a hover for videos

It's up to you to land with 30%...personally, I think it's way too conservative to land with 30%, I mean you have 100% and uses just 70%...not to mention that you have 2 batteries this time...one more reason to keep it to 15, 12% when close to you! Some weeks ago my topic concerning this ridiculous flight time on I2 was marked as "Misleading Title", after I shared a vid exactly like this...DJI's defensors around here got nervous and threw me stones immediately. Now, once more, someone shows the truth: I2's flight time is way below what DJI declared (25 minutes for the X5S)! I know hovering is not exactly the most precise test but the next ones will show a little gain only...maybe around 21, 22 minutes for the X5S IF THE PILOT TAKES IT TO THE LIMIT (10%)!...we shall see!
2017-2-6
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

WellFlightz Posted at 2017-2-6 17:00
It's up to you to land with 30%...personally, I think it's way too conservative to land with 30%, I mean you have 100% and uses just 70%...not to mention that you have 2 batteries this time...one more reason to keep it to 15, 12% when close to you! Some weeks ago my topic concerning this ridiculous flight time on I2 was marked as "Misleading Title", after I shared a vid exactly like this...DJI's defensors around here got nervous and threw me stones immediately. Now, once more, someone shows the truth: I2's flight time is way below what DJI declared (25 minutes for the X5S)! I know hovering is not exactly the most precise test but the next ones will show a little gain only...maybe around 21, 22 minutes for the X5S IF THE PILOT TAKES IT TO THE LIMIT (10%)!...we shall see!

Hi WF
I remember your post and commented on this one too. Although a hover test has some value it's not a real world test (IMO)
Yes, 30% is conservative and I don't always land at 30% but don't get to carried away on the low end of the battery. I guess I will need to wait and see when I personally get the Inspire 2 how far I want to trust it. For me this is a lot of money hanging in the air and really do not want to take the risk over water or in the mountains (where I fly) with a low battery scenario.

All the best
Rich
2017-2-6
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

My experience so far with only the X4S is an average 21 minutes flight time when using 15 minutes video recording. / photos I always land at about 20/30% depending on mission requirements. Most of my work is flyby at a working height of 60m. Or highest quality still based on client request. I always fly both directions past the object and always at maximum speed permitted within the stick range to get best effect. I have noticed the speed has recently been limited with latest release of DJI GO 4
2017-2-7
Use props
WellFlightz
lvl.2
  • >>>
Brazil

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-2-7 02:09
My experience so far with only the X4S is an average 21 minutes flight time when using 15 minutes video recording. / photos I always land at about 20/30% depending on mission requirements. Most of my work is flyby at a working height of 60m. Or highest quality still based on client request. I always fly both directions past the object and always at maximum speed permitted within the stick range to get best effect. I have noticed the speed has recently been limited with latest release of DJI GO 4

Speed limit...SO SOON?! Can anyone else confirm this DJI's maneuver into GO's update?! Man, unbelievable...but predictable...DJI reducing speed as they did with I1 inside a firmware else...so sorry, once speed is the biggest differential on I2's power....
2017-2-7
Use props
Alex Assenmache
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

guys thanks for all the responses. Our second vid is now live, and it does answer some of your questions

2017-2-7
Use props
rmaxwell.dccnet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Alex Assenmache Posted at 2017-2-7 09:29
guys thanks for all the responses. Our second vid is now live, and it does answer some of your questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0kd4uXgPFI

Thanks for all of your work in this area.

Steel City Drones confirmed almost exactly the same battery life as you have.

See this link:  
2017-2-7
Use props
Swarm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 645804 ft
United States

rmaxwell.dccnet Posted at 2017-2-7 10:48
Thanks for all of your work in this area.

Steel City Drones confirmed almost exactly the same battery life as you have.

Thanks for the great review.  It's obvious you put a lot of time and thought into it.  I just bought the Inspire 2 as well but have not flown it yet because of the weather here in Maine is just too damn cold right now lol.  But even though I already have the aircraft your video helps with understanding its characteristics much better and I'm sure I'll remember the things you pointed out during my first flights.

Regards,
DC
2017-2-8
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0kd4uXgPFI

Alex

Now that was a great test and very nice to see the total time during all of the flying you were doing.

Look forward to the other testing!
Rich
2017-2-8
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

WellFlightz Posted at 2017-2-6 17:00

Chill, get a life man.

Consensus is 20 minutes to 20% under a variety of flight (not hover) conditions for a X5S with a SSD and recording. Still good in any book.
2017-2-8
Use props
Alex Assenmache
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

This is actually getting one of my fav threads over the forum , I leave you here the third part!

2017-2-9
Use props
WellFlightz
lvl.2
  • >>>
Brazil

As we say in my land..."I warned..." (Shame)...please, for everyone else there that tried to candy the situation( now we have someone who proved 20 minutes is the maximum, hovering or not)...pipe down!
2017-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules