Picture quality
4639 10 2017-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 526076 ft
United States

With the drone being a 12MP camera and my Galaxy S6 also having a 12MP camera I was expecting to get similar quality pictures. But I have to admit some of the pictures look very soft and not crisp. Videos look great for the most part so I was wondering what everyone else out there thinks about their pictures.
I resized the pictures to be able to attach here but also have the dropbox link for the full size.

DJI_0042 (Large).JPG
DJI_0172 (Large).JPG
DJI_0183 (Large).JPG
DJI_0234 (Large).jpg
2017-2-6
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Mavic jpgs seem to have a fair amount of noise reduction which results in lower detail -- try shooting with RAW+JPG and compare each for detail.

Default video seems fairly sharpened to my eyes, not unreasonably so, but maybe a tad too much if you want to adjust levels in post? I've been doing a lot of frame grabs as opposed to stills because I'm finding it harder to frame my shots than to opportunistically cull from a (slowly) moving video, and when I adjust levels in Lightroom the sharpening really becomes evident.
2017-2-6
Use props
Turkk71
lvl.2
United States

agreed fairly disappointed in the camera. I wasn't expecting a perfect image, but certainly closer to gopro.
2017-2-6
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

If you are taking a jpeg picture then you will not get the quality that you are looking for. A jpeg picture only takes a "slice" of what the camera  sees (for lack of a better word). If you want just a quick snapshot then a jpeg is fine but if you are wanting all the detail the camera is able to pick up then you will want to shoot in RAW and develop in post. I ONLY shoot in RAW so every bit of the information that the camera sensor sees is recorded and not just a slice. I develop everything in Adobe Lightroom. Each camera sensor is different whether it be a phone, point and shoot, DSLR, or drone. You will get variations between cameras no matter the image setting. You can make your adjustments in post to make all the photos match (assuming you shot in RAW format).
2017-2-6
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

Case in point: A bracketed HDR photo taken of my neighborhood.

untitled-36-HDR by T Productions, on Flickr
2017-2-6
Use props
JulianX4
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Shoot RAW. JPEG from the Mavic is quite bad.

Here is a 100% crop from this photo:  https://www.instagram.com/p/BO42ja8ARiQ
I am very happy with the camera quality.  
Of course it depends what you plan on doing with the photos.  
If you want to pixel peep at 150% you will be unhappy.
If you want to print at A3+ it's absolutely fine. I have a few prints at home from the Mavic and the Phantom 3 Advanced and they are great, even from close up.
A3+ is the biggest I can print, but even A2 will be fine as long as you don't look at the photo from half a meter distance.
2017-2-6
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2017-2-6 19:55
Case in point: A bracketed HDR photo taken of my neighborhood.

[view_image]untitled-36-HDR by T Productions, on Flickr

Thank you! That picture is what I would expect. How do you do bracketed HDR with RAW? I thought you have to take 3 pictures with different exposure levels and then combine them. Did you take three RAW pictures for this final result?

I can't say wow enough on that picture. So crisp and what I expect. Kudos to your post processing skills.
2017-2-7
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

OhOhDrone Posted at 2017-2-7 08:52
Thank you! That picture is what I would expect. How do you do bracketed HDR with RAW? I thought you have to take 3 pictures with different exposure levels and then combine them. Did you take three RAW pictures for this final result?

I can't say wow enough on that picture. So crisp and what I expect. Kudos to your post processing skills.

You are correct. That is a 3 bracket RAW picture. 1 picture underexposed, 1 picture normal exposure, and 1 picture over exposed. I use Adobe Lightroom for developing pictures taken with my DSLR cameras and since DJI allows for bracketed RAW photos to be taken it's the same process (albeit less resolution at 12MP vs. 24MP). Go into your photo settings in the DJI Go app and choose bracketed photos. IIRC you can choose between a 3 bracket photo or 5 bracket photo. 3 bracket should be fine. Change your settings to RAW only. You will have to use software to "develop" your picture since it is taken in RAW format. Once you do, you can save it as a jpeg at full resolution.
You can create very nice photos with the Mavic, Inspire, or Phantom you just need to shoot in RAW to do so and use the correct software in post to get the most out of your shots. As I mentioned before, Shooting jpeg is fine if you just want a quick shot. But shooting jpeg will not get you the results you would like if you are shooting for full resolution pictures.
2017-2-7
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

Here's another example of shooting in RAW format. This was taken with my Nikon D7100 (haven't moved up to a full frame camera just yet). I was testing my new  automated 3 axis gimbal on the driveway after I received it. 450 RAW images combined to create an 8k film downgraded to 4K for youtube. There was no color grading as I was just checking out the movement of the gimbal.  

2017-2-7
Use props
rclendaniel
lvl.1

United States

Shoot in raw+jpeg and correct the image in a photo editing tool like lightroom or darktable.
2017-2-7
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
United States

I tried shooting with the AEB today and combined them. Looked much better. Thanks so much for the pointer.
2017-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules