Help with inside flying please
1138 17 2017-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansbe88b88e
lvl.1
United States

Hello all
I need to know for sure what's the right way to set up the Mavic for safe indoors flight where there won't be GPS and its a commercial building which means lots of metal. I was told to go outside and calibrate compass and imu and that should do it, and it shouldnt drift. Please advise
2017-2-6
Use props
jims3000
lvl.3
United States

Hope you have the care refresh and leave the imu alone unless prompted.
2017-2-6
Use props
Mavicator
lvl.3
Flight distance : 129583 ft
United States

The space needs to be well-lit and the floor has to have a distinct pattern, so that OPTI mode can be achieved and maintained.  If you have that, then you should be OK.
2017-2-6
Use props
fansbe88b88e
lvl.1
United States

Mavicator Posted at 2017-2-6 18:46
The space needs to be well-lit and the floor has to have a distinct pattern, so that OPTI mode can be achieved and maintained.  If you have that, then you should be OK.

Shouldn't the IMU keep it stable and not drift?

2017-2-6
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Throw a flashlight on the floor
2017-2-6
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

It seems like a lot of indoor crashes I've heard about happen when the Mavic switches between GPS and ATTI mode, so try to keep that from happening. In practice that probably means avoiding windows or -- if you really want to be cautious -- disable GPS for the duration, which reportedly can be done by covering the rear of the aircraft (behind the battery) in aluminum foil.

In addition:

• Tripod mode will slow the Mavic down / dampen the effects of the controls and is probably a good choice if you can live with the reduced speed (2 MPH).
  • Prop guards are good idea.
  • As indicated in the above responses, make sure that VPS is enabled and that it has something it can lock onto.
2017-2-6
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Tripod mode is a good idea, however if you drift in and out of GPS you can switch quickly to regular mode and the speed differential can be a little tricky.

I wouldn't calibrate anything as others have stated (unless there's already an issue that needs to be corrected).  IMU can keep the craft fairly level, however though you don't have wind indoors you do have prop wash and you will get some drift.  The only way the Mavic can fight against a drift for you is if A) it has a consistent GPS lock, or if B) You have a lock with the vision sensors.  Bottom line is it needs a reference for where 'here' is.  You can create visual reference points on the floor if it's a fairly uniform floor surface, however that's easy if you want to just hover in a single place.  If you're moving around you will get some drift.  The good news is it's a finely balanced craft so it is controllable.

Personally I recommend prop guards just like DroneFlying does as cheap insurance.  Really cheap insurance.  Good luck!
2017-2-6
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just make sure indoor is wide enough to fly and don't contain metal or things like that
2017-2-6
Use props
fansbe88b88e
lvl.1
United States

WYHSniper1007 Posted at 2017-2-6 19:53
Just make sure indoor is wide enough to fly and don't contain metal or things like that

I really appreciate the pointers
2017-2-6
Use props
fansbe88b88e
lvl.1
United States

/Users/chrisjacob/Desktop/10.06-1024x739.jpg
2017-2-6
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Prop Guards, Prop Guards and Prop Guards.

Small confined area will still cause the Mavic to drift, so just be alert.

The real best advice, don't fly indoors.
2017-2-6
Use props
Schweb
lvl.1
United States

Well I think the answer is the Osmo for indoor shots. I wasn't sure how folks do it for real-estate type of shooting, but it seems as drones are only for outside shots  
2017-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Schweb Posted at 2017-2-7 08:38
Well I think the answer is the Osmo for indoor shots. I wasn't sure how folks do it for real-estate type of shooting, but it seems as drones are only for outside shots

Osmo is a great tool for indoors , particularly using Z axis, flying AC indoors , you need to be in opti mode downward and forward sensors on , if the area is bright enough distinct pattern flooring and preferably a large space, turn of RTH or set to hover.
Good luck..
2017-2-7
Use props
DRONEDUDE88
lvl.1

United States

I fly in the garage in my condo building.I have no issues I have flown all around its a long garage.I turn off the RTH and it flys great.
2017-2-7
Use props
Schweb
lvl.1
United States

From DJI:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for reaching out DJI Support.

You are not suggested to fly the drone indoors, the drone will drift and cannot stable. The space indoor is limited and the drone is easy to be effecte by radio interference and behave abnormally and go out of control.

Please fly in open area for safe.

If you have further questions, please contact us freely.

Coco
U.S. technical support
Tel: +1 (818) 235 0789
Online Support: http://www.dji.com/support/product

Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
DJI Support
2017-2-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sound advice...
2017-2-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

You should look at the new propeller "cages" DJI just announced yesterday: lots of indoor flying is one of the few things that would make me seriously consider buying them.
2017-2-8
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

It can be done I just wouldn't recommend it "if" you can keep from it. I did it once and although stable with no issues I wouldn't do it again. I'll use my Osmo to film inside for stable shots.

That being said, this is the only time I did it and the only reason I landed it was because it looked like the cat was getting ready to pounce on it so I brought it down.

2017-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules