Preflight Inspection
763 6 2017-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

With a number of "strange and scary" reports from new Inspire 2 owners (falling from the sky / updates while flying etc.), what is there to check before flying with confidence?

1. Physical check
2. Full batteries
3. Controller battery
4. Current updates of drone, controller & camera
5. Phone / Tablet switched to Flight Mode / no Wi-Fi / 3G / 4G connection (to avoid unauthorized updates)
6. All calibrations correctly completed
7. All telemetry on phone / tablet checked and OK
8. Home point registered
9. PRAY!!

What else?
2017-2-7
Use props
DJI-Newbie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13337 ft
Hong Kong

How about pray?
2017-2-7
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

Excellent!!!  Never thought of it!  Will add... hahahaha...   {:4_142:}
2017-2-7
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.3
Flight distance : 921693 ft
United States

If you are flying by the books...
Check Sectional chart or app like AIRMAP to make sure you are operating within Class G
Check wx forecast and make sure VFR regulations are in effect with a minimum vis of 3 statute miles
Check for NOTAMs in your area to make sure TrumpTroll isnt planning to fly over you.
Check to make sure your planned flight is not within a National Park, or is not designated a no fly zone - for example Niagara Falls

Other pre-flight checks I make on the aircraft...
Format ssd card/sd card...make sure both are firmly in place
check framerate, codec, resolution,color profiles
Identify large metal structures, and anything that might be a source of rc frequencies to avoid.
Check that the filter is appropriate for your shot,  and triple check that the lens and filter are dust free
I usually point my gimbal as far up as possible prior to takeoff....i find that this keeps my lenses cleaner
check gimbal roll correction- make sure your horixon is level (make sure your landing spot is level too)
I guess this is actually in flight- but I let my bird hover for a minute or so about 15 feet up to make sure there is no drift, no abnormal warnings.
then I bring it eye level fairly close to me....and make sure that there is no visible debris on the lens one last time...and that the gimbal is not shaking from a bent or loose prop...and that all looks normal.

A good review before any flight: https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf
2017-2-7
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

thomasakira Posted at 2017-2-7 08:08
Check Sectional chart or app like AIRMAP to make sure you are operating within Class G
Check wx forecast and make sure VFR regulations are in effect with a minimum vis of 3 statute miles

Good points... I'm actually just putting a pre-flight in place for staying in the sky....  In other words what needs to be checked to avoid unintentional hard contact with Mother Earth.  I think the other points you make are real valid though.  I do have a PPL plane license too and in honesty, it in some ways are easier to take the plane out of the hangar and fly compared to the drone world.  Pity!
2017-2-7
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

thomasakira Posted at 2017-2-7 08:08

Hmm  , what is Trump Troll ? If you  are saying to check and see if the President of the United States, Donald Trump  is going to be flying in my area  before I fly my Aircraft , You must be kidding .....

donnie
2017-2-7
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.3
Flight distance : 921693 ft
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-7 11:36
Hmm  , what is Trump Troll ? If you  are saying to check and see if the President of the United States, Donald Trump  is going to be flying in my area  before I fly my Aircraft , You must be kidding .....

donnie

Trump tower out to 5 miles was a no fly zone from the election to inauguration.  Now notams pop up,  every time the first lady wants to take a jaunt to DC.  Just the other day, I was adjacent to the hudson when one of the HMX-1 helicopters flew over at about 500 ft.  They carry foreign diplomats and cabinet members too... but I prefer to think it was Melania wasting taxpayer dollars
2017-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules