Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI's Mavic Propeller Cage now available to order
12Next >
6073 55 2017-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

It looks like DJI is now selling their propeller cage and we can now see the accessory that goes with the new "propeller cage" option people have been talking about in the DJI Go 4 app:  DJI Mavic Propeller Cage

It's quite a bit more intricate than the third-party prop guards that are already available -- and at $159 (USD) is priced accordingly.
2017-2-7
Use props
way wrong
lvl.4
Flight distance : 351631 ft
Estonia

Pretty nice, keeps those propellers safe. But what about the weight, it seems 60 grams all together. Now we need gimbal protector.
2017-2-7
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I'd love to see a review of this to see how this affects handling and if there's any impact to video. These are almost like ducted fans.
2017-2-7
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-2-7 06:15
I'd love to see a review of this to see how this affects handling and if there's any impact to video. These are almost like ducted fans.

I'd like that too. I also just noticed that the three sets of included propellers aren't the standard (8330) Mavic props but a new type (7728) that are apparently designed specifically for use with the cage. I didn't realize that at first, but then it struck me as strange that they'd throw in extra props as a bonus with something intended to make sure you don't need them.
2017-2-7
Use props
HTC
lvl.1
United States

They actually might make the props more efficient.
2017-2-7
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

HTC Posted at 2017-2-7 06:31
They actually might make the props more efficient.

Yes, given the intricate design, the new / custom props, and the software selection that changes the Mavic's flight characteristics, it does appear that these may be intended for more than just preventing people from breaking things.
2017-2-7
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-2-7 06:15

Correct, it is somehow like ducted fans (although the REAL ducted fans work best if there is only a split of a millimeter space between end of rotor-blades and duct) but now I nunderstand why we need this special setting in DJI GO ........................

Cages serve as mechanical "obstacle avoidance up- and sidewards", well, more like pushing obstacles away (small tree branches)
2017-2-7
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

Just ordered them, will report once they are delivered ......................
2017-2-7
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Looks like a large side area to catch the wind.  Will be quite susceptible to wind influence.
2017-2-7
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-2-7 07:05
Looks like a large side area to catch the wind.  Will be quite susceptible to wind influence.

Since Mavic is not so much an explicit aerodynamic shape the influence might be only small. Maybe 2-3 minutes less flight time per batt.
2017-2-7
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

i like them. Actually just what I need for certain FPV flights where you are getting close to things. Example: Last weekend I was testing getting close up shots of a water tower via FPV only during mainly hover type speeds. Was a mild bit of wind and long story short, before I realized it, I had drifted a bit in a manner where the nose of the mavic was still a couple feet away from the tower, but the side of the mavic was REALLY close to the vertical ladder that stuck out a bit from the water tower. If the props had inadvertently hit the ladder? Drone down. But with these guards? That eliminates that fear.
2017-2-7
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

A bit overkill, looks like there trying to keep propeller from escaping?
2017-2-7
Use props
Safari
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Quite a freaking look :-) but as one said it might be very useful depending on the situation. This is THE one accessory who should have been available at the launch of the Mavic. I guess it would have saved a few props all around the world ;-)
2017-2-7
Use props
fans768c973b
lvl.1

United States

I just ordered my Mavic yesterday. I fly race quads most of the time and obviously break props all the time. I've not broken props with any of my video rigs. Are the props something that needs to be protected with the Mavic?
2017-2-7
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-2-7 07:25
A bit overkill, looks like there trying to keep propeller from escaping?

Maybe that's why they call it a propeller "cage" -- because its real purpose is to keep the propeller from escaping.
2017-2-7
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

fans768c973b Posted at 2017-2-7 07:49
I just ordered my Mavic yesterday. I fly race quads most of the time and obviously break props all the time. I've not broken props with any of my video rigs. Are the props something that needs to be protected with the Mavic?

As long as you dont hit anything, no. :-)

2017-2-7
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

$159.00 for 30 cents worth of plastic???? Has DJI gone mad???  I thought it was a typo at first.....
2017-2-7
Use props
dirkjan82
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112169 ft
Netherlands

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-2-7 08:41
$159.00 for 30 cents worth of plastic???? Has DJI gone mad???  I thought it was a typo at first.....

That's exactly what I thought when I looked at the price: "What €179,- for a simple plastic case?".
I assume it's more than cheap and quick design. Usually the designing part and making the molds for all the parts is what makes things expensive.
I have a few model trains, which are just a plastic cover in the shape of a locomotive, with a small electrical engine in it. Materials aren't too expensive. It's designing it, and making the molds for the parts what's making cheap parts into expensive stuff. So I assume that's the case here too. And the fact that this is designed by DJI and not some unknown company drives the price up a bit further.
2017-2-7
Use props
Chris Jude
lvl.2
Flight distance : 853 ft
United States

These look to be a step up from the aftermarket "bumper" style ($10 with free shipping generally) things that I've seen that can mitigate some accidental mild to moderate horizontal contact with firmer objects.  Seems plausible that brushing limbs and even upward contact to an extent could less often be a show stopper with them.  But I think I'd need some convincing on the cost unless they somehow significantly improve performance versus diminish performance.  It wouldn't surprise me to find a competitive aftermarket alternative.  Will be interested to follow the reviews and learn more.
2017-2-7
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dirkjan82 Posted at 2017-2-7 09:11
That's exactly what I thought when I looked at the price: "What €179,- for a simple plastic case?".
I assume it's more than cheap and quick design. Usually the designing part and making the molds for all the parts is what makes things expensive.
I have a few model trains, which are just a plastic cover in the shape of a locomotive, with a small electrical engine in it. Materials aren't too expensive. It's designing it, and making the molds for the parts what's making cheap parts into expensive stuff. So I assume that's the case here too. And the fact that this is designed by DJI and not some unknown company drives the price up a bit further.

DJI is over priced on everything because of the lack of competition. When the inspire 1 came out it cost $3400.00 then after a year the make the a better version ( the v2) and drop the price to $ 1999.00 and I'm sure even at the lower price there still making a tidy profit.
2017-2-7
Use props
Red 5
New

United States

All depends on how and where you want to fly.  Indoors in my house it doesn't get GPS, so it can drift.  Personally I think I'm going to stick to the great outdoors from now on, but these would be a real benefit for flying indoors, or through a forest, or anywhere there's a chance of contact with a living thing.  Also if I get the urge to try sport mode, I will consider these cages.  And I'd want cages before trying anything like what those two kids are doing in that Mavic video by DJI where they race through a slot canyon and such.

But for relatively mellow flying and simple videos, no, they're not required.
2017-2-7
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Turn it into bumper cars. Fly it into the dog, into the wife, the futon
2017-2-7
Use props
Big Daddy Davee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3963 ft
United Kingdom

Bonkers price. Mind blowing to be frank.
2017-2-7
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

These look like they will impact the portability of the Mavic.  Maybe you can fold up the Mavic and attach in the field but that looks time consuming.
2017-2-7
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-2-7 06:58
Just ordered them, will report once they are delivered ......................

Wonderful--I am looking forward to your review! Thanks!
2017-2-7
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's so freking expensive
2017-2-7
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

I think a pretty extensive amount of R&D went into these, if you consider they are meant  to take abuse and impact at speed yet maintain a precision fixed location on the drone (any dislocatin would cause catastrophic failure.)  As they are a DJI accessory, would be covered by warranty, these may be a cool piece of kit.  As many of you have expressed, my interest is piqued.
Regards,
-d.
And FREE shipping!!
2017-2-7
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

For the majority of Mavic Owners:

a clear YES

always keep in mind that this is the first semiprofessional drone and the majority of customers are NEWBIES to drones who will be happy not to destroy their gadget in the course of learning how to fly drones.

I personally have some experience with toy-drones since 3 years (Parrot 2.0) and I am ultralight pilot but by far I am not a professional drone-pilot. Given that fact and the fact that Mavic needs some firmware improvements (ATTI/GPS/TRACKING etc.) these cages will help to avoid grounding a lot of drones by CFTs (controlled flight into terrain)
2017-2-7
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Mavic prop cage user manual is available for downloading.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... Cage+User+Guide.pdf

DJI recommends not to fly faster than 1.2m/s with the prop cages. Judging from the additional weight of 191g on top of the 734g Mavic Pro and the reduced prop size, the max flight time may be reduced to 16 minutes from 24 minutes with prop cages.

This is the cost for safe flying.

Henry
2017-2-8
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Let's see:
  • Hefty price tag.
  • Significant weight and corresponding reduction in flight time.
  • Incompatibility with standard props.
  • Hefty price tag.
  • Minimal utility beyond lighter, cheaper alternatives.
  • Reduced portability.
  • Did I mention the hefty price tag?

These might make sense for those who expect to fly close to people and obstacles, but for me these would be a tough sell at one-fourth of their current price, and at $159 (USD) it's a no-brainer.
2017-2-8
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-2-7 12:37
These look like they will impact the portability of the Mavic.  Maybe you can fold up the Mavic and attach in the field but that looks time consuming.

+1...that is/was the first thought through my head.  These cages totally negate the Mavic portability.
2017-2-8
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-8 05:33
Let's see:
  • Hefty price tag.

• Yes you can also buy a Lott of spare props for that price!
    2017-2-8
    Use props
    Richard Mavic p
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 44797 ft
    United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-2-7 07:06
    Since Mavic is not so much an explicit aerodynamic shape the influence might be only small. Maybe 2-3 minutes less flight time per batt.

LoL, $ 159!!!!!
    why not buy the DJI care?
    Spending $159 to protect the $9 props?
    That can be their warm up step for VR Goggles. let's see....

Buy the way, DJI officially said:"with the cage, flight time is 17 min ONLY"
    2017-2-8
    Use props
    fans90d4f438
    lvl.3
    United States

some of you are missing the point.
    Sure, props are cheaper, but if the Mavic falls out of the sky (and possibly hits someone) as Im flying within inches of the Stratosphere in Vegas because the props made contact with the structure...

I see plenty of value in these for some of the missions (those videos are not posted publicly) that I fly/have flown/will fly
    2017-2-8
    Use props
    WolfgangStiller
    lvl.4
    United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-8 06:48
    some of you are missing the point.
    Sure, props are cheaper, but if the Mavic falls out of the sky (and possibly hits someone) as Im flying within inches of the Stratosphere in Vegas because the props made contact with the structure...

That's the reason to get these prop guards. To protect the Mavic, and other objects/people from damage. With the prop guards/cages, you can bump into something and not crash where otherwise a crash might happen so for missions where you are flying very close to obstacles these clearly have a purpose.  What I am having a problem with is understanding how the steep penalty in terms of weight and price is justified over a $15 set of prop guards (these are much lighter).  What I am seeing here clearly provides more protection than the after-market prop guards but does that justify the cost?
    2017-2-8
    Use props
    Angelo26
    lvl.4
    Austria

Richard Mavic p Posted at 2017-2-8 06:44
    LoL, $ 159!!!!!
    why not buy the DJI care?
    Spending $159 to protect the $9 props?

At least 17 minutes which might spare me to send in my Mavic for repair ..............

(I use my Mavic heavily indoors and it will protect the people from my pilotship ............ {:4_157:} )
    2017-2-8
    Use props
    Angelo26
    lvl.4
    Austria

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-2-8 07:15
    That's the reason to get these prop guards. To protect the Mavic, and other objects/people from damage. With the prop guards/cages, you can bump into something and not crash where otherwise a crash might happen so for missions where you are flying very close to obstacles these clearly have a purpose.  What I am having a problem with is understanding how the steep penalty in terms of weight and price is justified over a $15 set of prop guards (these are much lighter).  What I am seeing here clearly provides more protection than the after-market prop guards but does that justify the cost?

The question I ask myself ALWAYS when it comes to prices: would I want to work for less ?

or better:

how comes that people are lining up for a crapphone that does not work at temperatures below 0°C, which screen does not react and contains technology outdated two years with material/production costs of sharp 200 $ but selling at 700 bucks ?  

Lucky us: we are not FORCED to buy the cages but we have to OPTION to ................
    2017-2-8
    Use props
    fans90d4f438
    lvl.3
    United States

Do aftermarket prop guards work well with the mavic? Work with the "prop cage" mode?
    Do aftermarket prop guards protect the props fully when the mavic rises up into a ceiling or obstacle above the mavic?
    2017-2-8
    Use props
    BuzzCut
    lvl.4

United States

Way cheaper on Amazon...  4 for about 68 bucks

PropGuard.PNG
    2017-2-8
    Use props
    DroneFlying
    lvl.4
    United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-2-8 12:11
    Way cheaper on Amazon...  4 for about 68 bucks

I love it; no chance of a Mavic crashing while it has those attached.

Approximate flight time when in use: 0 minutes.
    2017-2-8
    Use props
    12Next >
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules