Phantom 3 S ,following all the prearrange waypoints past range
947 2 2017-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Midwest_Blue
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202247 ft
United States

I have the Phantom 3 standard. And I’m using Litchi App.  Normally, I lose signal after 1600, 1800 feet . But yesterday, with clear, calm skies, I got 3500 feet. Video feed was good. And Was open fields. Also doing the waypoint route, past my 1600 circle on map.

Guess my question is. If I define waypoints, lets say a mile or more. And have the waypoints leading back to home point. And I lose all signal for a bit, and drone still going to the furthest waypoint.  Will the drone still keep on route and return, even with the video recording all the way? So without the hook up to the controller, for a bit. Is the waypoint route stored on the drone to follow?

2017-2-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yes and yes, provided you have GPS.  

The stickler is losing GPS at some distant place out of range.  In that case, it won't fail safe.  It will just hover waiting for GPS to return or for you to take over control, which you won't be able to do out of range.  And while it's hovering, it will drift with the wind.  When it reaches critical battery, it will auto land.  For this reason, you might consider a tracker.

Hope this helps.
2017-2-7
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-7 12:19
Yes and yes, provided you have GPS.  

The stickler is losing GPS at some distant place out of range.  In that case, it won't fail safe.  It will just hover waiting for GPS to return or for you to take over control, which you won't be able to do out of range.  And while it's hovering, it will drift with the wind.  When it reaches critical battery, it will auto land.  For this reason, you might consider a tracker.

Mark the Droner is absolutely correct! Litchi is awesome, and it loads the mission onto the phantom and will finish if it can. With or without the rc-signal, but not to repeat, but you do need the GPS. So, if you are in an area where you won't be blocking your GPS signal you should be fine. I flew a mission the other day that was around 7-miles round trip. I was only at an altitude of 150 ft. and shortly after I took off, I lost all video and rc-signal. I was in wide open area but after it got out there a ways it wasn't high enough to maintain the signal. Totally a bad call on my part. I waited patiently and sure enough here it came back and must have run into a little head wind because I was landing it with 6% battery left. After looking at the fight log I had full GPS all the way, but that was a close one!
2017-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules