Water color sharping Issue!
22578 277 2017-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

alirz5 Posted at 2017-2-9 10:11
I received my Mavic on Jan 24th and it came with the .300 firmware and i have this issue.I know .200 is the publicly available firmware.
Could that be the difference why some have the issue and some dont.

I had the 300 too and was told to downgrade and I did and still have the issue
2017-2-9
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

photoboy Posted at 2017-2-9 10:59

I read & re-read this thread twice...  I've gotta ask:  what are the results if you shoot in 4k30, D-Cinelike, 000?

I tried Cinema & UHD @ 24fps & thought it looked like animal by-product.  4k(UHD) @ 30fps looks as sharp with my Mavic as your DNG RAWs.
2017-2-9
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

photoboy Posted at 2017-2-9 10:59

And the JPGs I get are like everyone else:  GARBAGE!!!

It's a real shame & inhibits some functionality.  Both Gesture & ActiveTrack shoot in JPG.  Perhaps other modes also??  My DJI GO 4 (Android) switches to JPG after being in those modes EVEN IF I ONLY SHOOT VIDEO (I never switch to PHOTO/STILL).  What a pain - like someone that doesn't listen!
2017-2-9
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

Hey DJI  R U HERE?
2017-2-9
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-2-9 12:47
And the JPGs I get are like everyone else:  GARBAGE!!!

It's a real shame & inhibits some functionality.  Both Gesture & ActiveTrack shoot in JPG.  Perhaps other modes also??  My DJI GO 4 (Android) switches to JPG after being in those modes EVEN IF I ONLY SHOOT VIDEO (I never switch to PHOTO/STILL).  What a pain - like someone that doesn't listen!

Try litchi drone, you can change the modes but it forgets what you set in between flights. Set it up each time you run litchi before the mode.

photoboy, I think you might have a issue. Footage is fine with some post processing done. It's not perfect, but your dealing with 60mbps compression. Use mp4 4k 30fps and you should see decent footage with no filter auto. The artifacts come in when blowing it up on a huge monitor, can see it clearly. The stuff your shooting, I dunno. Not what I'm seeing on my end. Maybe you have a bad one. I've seen drone's footage and it's pretty amazing too. What you got is weird.

See a lot of footage that's out of focus on youtube though, so it maybe a common thread. Maybe refresh firmware, update go 4, reset the camera settings to default. Some of the things seen on this forum.
2017-2-9
Use props
noka
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1104905 ft
Germany

I opened a support ticket with DJI and their answer was: send in for repair.
Not sure, what I will do - I asked them what their solution to this problem might be, but I don't expect to get a real answer to that...
Might do some more testing on the weekend.
2017-2-9
Use props
raybanner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 440312 ft
Germany

I started a thread a while ago like some others here about the same topic.
DJI, is this how you treat your customers? Please comment or do something about it.
2017-2-10
Use props
noka
lvl.3
Germany

Got a follow up eMail vom DJI:

As for your issue, please kindly try to redo the upgrade :
Mavic Tutorials- Upgrading/Downgrading Firmware with DJI Go App   
Mavic Tutorials- Upgrading/Downgrading Firmware with DJI Assistant 2  
And please make sure the Operating Temperature between 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C).
If the problem persists, we recommend sending your product for diagnosis and repair.
2017-2-10
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

noka Posted at 2017-2-10 03:06
Got a follow up eMail vom DJI:

As for your issue, please kindly try to redo the upgrade :

I can tell you I have done every kind of reset down grade upgrade that is possible with NO solution !
2017-2-10
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-2-9 12:43
I read & re-read this thread twice...  I've gotta ask:  what are the results if you shoot in 4k30, D-Cinelike, 000?

I tried Cinema & UHD @ 24fps & thought it looked like animal by-product.  4k(UHD) @ 30fps looks as sharp with my Mavic as your DNG RAWs.

The results are in everything as I went down the list of variables with the same outcome !
2017-2-10
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

For those who are looking for support from DJI  I just PM DJI ken the following to see if I could get some help…..

my message "
Hi Im just curious why NO ONE from DJI has addressed this issue????

http://forum.dji.com/thread-84156-1-1.html

Please look into this as its a serious wide spread issue !
2017-2-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

photoboy Posted at 2017-2-10 10:40
For those who are looking for support from DJI  I just PM DJI ken the following to see if I could get some help…..

If you feel your Mavic camera is not operating as advertised, I suggest contacting support and sending it in for evaluation. Others have posted no issues, so if may be your camera.
My Mavic is just fine for what it is.
If I want to get extremely high quality, then I would use the Inspire with an X5 camera.
Here is the link if you want to send it in for evaluation.
https://www.dji.com/service/repair
2017-2-10
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-10 10:51
If you feel your Mavic camera is not operating as advertised, I suggest contacting support and sending it in for evaluation. Others have posted no issues, so if may be your camera.
My Mavic is just fine for what it is.
If I want to get extremely high quality, then I would use the Inspire with an X5 camera.

WOW  thats it?    How can you say “Others have posted no issues” ????   I can show  over 100 pages of threads where others are having this issue.   I have the X5 I also had issues with the x5 as well as the Osmo   plus  just FYI  but   If we that are posting these issues are valid and educated in the field of photography and have some sort of smarts about what we are talking abut  then maybe  just maybe  DJI you should take note as it will only benefit you and the product!   Trust me Id rather be out flying and producing beautiful images and video than setting here trying to get a fix on a new product I punched from DJI !  I find it hard to believe  that If I can reset the mavic from NTCS to PAL  it resets to NO WATER COLOR EFFECT!  but when I turn off and reboot it goes back to the WATER color effect. This is a FIRMWARE ISSUE! Not a physical camera issue !  NO NEED TO SHIP BACK TO YOU TO LOOK AT ~!  Please LOOK and hear what is being said here as we are not doing this for our HEALTH !
2017-2-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

photoboy Posted at 2017-2-10 13:13
WOW  thats it?    How can you say “Others have posted no issues” ????   I can show  over 100 pages of threads where others are having this issue.   I have the X5 I also had issues with the x5 as well as the Osmo   plus  just FYI  but   If we that are posting these issues are valid and educated in the field of photography and have some sort of smarts about what we are talking abut  then maybe  just maybe  DJI you should take note as it will only benefit you and the product!   Trust me Id rather be out flying and producing beautiful images and video than setting here trying to get a fix on a new product I punched from DJI !  I find it hard to believe  that If I can reset the mavic from NTCS to PAL  it resets to NO WATER COLOR EFFECT!  but when I turn off and reboot it goes back to the WATER color effect. This is a FIRMWARE ISSUE! Not a physical camera issue !  NO NEED TO SHIP BACK TO YOU TO LOOK AT ~!  Please LOOK and hear what is being said here as we are not doing this for our HEALTH !

And I'll say it again, use this link and start an RMA if you feel your aircraft is not performing the way it should.
2017-2-10
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-10 13:26
And I'll say it again, use this link and start an RMA if you feel your aircraft is not performing the way it should.

I have a RA and UPS ready to ship back  BUT I know that this is a solution you need to fix via firmware!   Im sorry your response is really poor in regards to this issue as you seem to not realize HOW FREAKING HUGE IT IS !
2017-2-10
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

check out this   
http://mavicpilots.com/threads/d ... color-paintings-don’t-settle-get-involved.2812/page-19#post-95934
2017-2-10
Use props
jjmucker
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Got to say im facing similar problems and im very surprised this issue isnt even being looked into.
Spent all day yesterday up in Glencoe, only to find alot of the footage is useless. One minute the image is as perfect as i'd expect from this camera, the rest, its very poor. With no change in settings whatsoever, it can go from great, to grainy, the watercolour effect, blotchy etc etc. Its bizarre.
I even had a shot yesterday were it was fine one minute, then next, the video sort of jumps ( i'd imagine it was the gimbal ) and it goes right out of focus in real time.
2017-2-10
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

I also can confirm  When you shoot in PAL  at 24fps 4k all is sharp ! and it stays sharp!  after you turn off mavic and turn it back on    … could other s having issue try this  and could those who think  that don’t try this  and compare images  as my JPGS are sharp !
2017-2-10
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

jjmucker Posted at 2017-2-10 13:39
Got to say im facing similar problems and im very surprised this issue isnt even being looked into.
Spent all day yesterday up in Glencoe, only to find alot of the footage is useless. One minute the image is as perfect as i'd expect from this camera, the rest, its very poor. With no change in settings whatsoever, it can go from great, to grainy, the watercolour effect, blotchy etc etc. Its bizarre.
I even had a shot yesterday were it was fine one minute, then next, the video sort of jumps ( i'd imagine it was the gimbal ) and it goes right out of focus in real time.

You try turning off the autofocus? Manually focus each shot you need.
2017-2-10
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-2-10 15:52
You try turning off the autofocus? Manually focus each shot you need.

its not a focusing issue ! Its a over NR filter being applied to the overall image.  Giving the middy /water color effect. By some strange set the pal profile doesn’t have as much NR applied.  at least when I shoot in pal is not as bad
2017-2-10
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

photoboy Posted at 2017-2-10 16:22
its not a focusing issue ! Its a over NR filter being applied to the overall image.  Giving the middy /water color effect. By some strange set the pal profile doesn’t have as much NR applied.  at least when I shoot in pal is not as bad

Yeah was quoting jj. He doesn't have the same issue but posted in the thread.
2017-2-10
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Sorry Dji ken. But like others have said, this is a firmware issue. The defect is not in the camera. I have the same problem with my videos. How can I get a refund. I've given up on DJI. your company is BS THAT DOESNT LISTEN TO ANY CUSTOMER ISSUES.
2017-2-10
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

alirz5 Posted at 2017-2-10 17:31
Sorry Dji ken. But others have said, this is a firmware issue. The defect is not the camera. I have the same problem with my video. How can I get a refund. I've given up on DJI. your company is BS THAT DOESNT LIETEN TO ANY CUSTOMER ISSUES.

Amen~!!!!!!
2017-2-10
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

I'll try the NTSC to PAL switch & record video on both to see if mine does this.  I've seen this in low light video thru the woods only, so I'm doubtful my camera has this particular issue.  Thank freakin god because this is my 3rd Mavic!  Pain in the butt, but it's great once you get one that works.  THEN you can concentrate on getting shots...  At least that's been my experience...

It's been windy and/or rain and/or snow lately with no breaks.  
2017-2-10
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Canada

People that exchanged their Mavics. How can you can really be sure or quantify that indeed the previous mavic was defective? I mean are comparing videos of the same scenes with the same lighting conditions?
If I decide to go the route of getting my mavic exchanged, I'm afraid of getting something that is worst.
I've read stories where the replacement units came back all scratched up,loose parts etc...
2017-2-10
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

DOnt sent it back Push DJI to LOOK at the real problem !

Here is another example   Point to be made here is IF the camera can shoot sharp in PAL then why can’t it in NTSC?   FIRMWARE!!!!!
ntsc.jpg
pal.jpg
2017-2-10
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

here they are together side by side   YES BOTH WERE FOCUSED !
together.jpg
2017-2-10
Use props
noka
lvl.3
Germany

OK - I did fly another 2 batteries this afternoon, did video and stil. After each on/off I did the PAL Reset - and all the material is perfectly fine! Watercolor gone completely all the time. BTW it was minus 2 Celsius - so cold. I will not sent it to DJI for repair. I hope for the next firmware. Settings were 0 0 0.
2017-2-11
Use props
CaptainFantasti
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48868 ft
Switzerland

Just tested the pal/ntsc switch thing... while ntsc was a tad better with sharpness 0 after switching over from pal -2&-3 looked like sh*t nonetheless...
+1 still perfect for me under any circumstances. Had to intercut the mavic with red footage and it worked great. Never would have thought that such a thing would be possible some years ago.
2017-2-11
Use props
Drone-discovery
New

United States

Thought I would let the group know....

I brought this to the attention of a contact I have who is pretty high up at DJI North America.  
He confirmed with me that DJI is well aware of the issue and are working on a fix.
Not sure why they don't respond to anyone online, but my contact doesn't work in customer relations or marketing.

Hopefully we see a fix soon.
2017-2-11
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

Drone-discovery Posted at 2017-2-11 10:27

I brought this to the attention of a contact I have who is pretty high up at DJI North America.  

Well Thats super news !  Lets see how long now it take to see some action !
2017-2-11
Use props
jjmucker
lvl.2

United Kingdom

thehippoz Posted at 2017-2-10 17:07
Yeah was quoting jj. He doesn't have the same issue but posted in the thread.

Yeah mine isnt a focus issue either. I'll try and screengrab 2 shots from the same flight. As the flight goes on the footage gets worse and worse.
I autofocus then switch to manual focus ( so it doesnt try to refocus, which btw, why it even tries to refocus every 10 seconds or so is beyond me )
2017-2-11
Use props
jjmucker
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Look at these. One is perfectly sharp, the other is useless.
Yes, i lose the sun a little on the useless one but this is the same flight, about 1 minute apart. How can the image change like that?
Manual mode, custom WB, Pal, 24fps.
http://imgur.com/a/mvicn

http://imgur.com/a/yQdxp
2017-2-11
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Canada

I hope you're not yanking our chain...
2017-2-11
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Canada

I hope you're not yanking our chain...
2017-2-11
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

jjmucker Posted at 2017-2-11 13:44
Look at these. One is perfectly sharp, the other is useless.
Yes, i lose the sun a little on the useless one but this is the same flight, about 1 minute apart. How can the image change like that?
Manual mode, custom WB, Pal, 24fps.

Bind center focus to C1 button. Turn on manual focus and leave it. The only thing noticed is you can't focus while moving the gimbal. So set your gimbal to a very slow stop speed, get it moving on the gimbal dial, and then c1 button (center focus) while the gimbal is moving after letting off the gimbal dial, then right back on the gimbal dial. You won't lose any speed, that way you can get the transition you need on a closer subject without chopping the shot.

It takes a little practice is all. Your shots weren't focused. It's not what the op is talking about.
2017-2-11
Use props
jjmucker
lvl.2

United Kingdom

thehippoz Posted at 2017-2-11 14:22
Bind center focus to C1 button. Turn on manual focus and leave it. The only thing noticed is you can't focus while moving the gimbal. So set your gimbal to a very slow stop speed, get it moving on the gimbal dial, and then c1 button (center focus) while the gimbal is moving after letting off the gimbal dial, then right back on the gimbal dial. You won't lose any speed, that way you can get the transition you need on a closer subject without chopping the shot.

It takes a little practice is all. Your shots weren't focused. It's not what the op is talking about.

What are you talking about buddy?
I focused perfectly, as you can see in the sharp image. I always focus first by either C1 or tap on screen, then i switch to manual focus and leave it ( so it deosnt try to refocus )
The image gradually got worse as the flight went on. Going from sharp to a grainy and muddy image
2017-2-11
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

I find it super sad  how DJI and DJI ken have handled providing any kind of support or been on her etc discuss this issue as they all are a bunch of WIMPS that can’t stand behind what they sale !  I woke up this morning thinking HOW CRAPPY DJI is with support and issues they have and had with all the products they have put out! sorry just venting ! but DJI  NEEDS TO GET THE LEAD OUT ONCE AGAIN!     GIVE US A FREAKING solution to this WATER COLOR MESS !
2017-2-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

photoboy Posted at 2017-2-12 07:39
I find it super sad  how DJI and DJI ken have handled providing any kind of support or been on her etc discuss this issue as they all are a bunch of WIMPS that can’t stand behind what they sale !  I woke up this morning thinking HOW CRAPPY DJI is with support and issues they have and had with all the products they have put out! sorry just venting ! but DJI  NEEDS TO GET THE LEAD OUT ONCE AGAIN!     GIVE US A FREAKING solution to this WATER COLOR MESS !

I already explained to you when I replied to your PM that I've forwarded to R&D.
2017-2-12
Use props
Realist123456
lvl.1
Flight distance : 547343 ft
Australia

I have just joined this forum after having received my Mavic a few days ago.
I followed the instructions of several youtube videos which suggested style at -2-1-1 or similar.
I couldn't believe the mess that resulted. Grassy areas were rendered as just washes of colour and trees as mottled blobs.
I tried setting the style to 0 0 0 and that cleaned things up substantially. +1 0 0 was better again but the image started to go very noisy and looks over-sharp in a horrible, digital way.  
I have sent an enquiry to DJI and also to my local DJI dealer.
When researching which drone to buy I'd read that DJI support is legendary for its crapiness so it will be interesting to see if it lives up to that.
2017-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules