Taking pictures for gas money. Allowed without Part 107?
2099 28 2017-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans39c6a553
lvl.2
United States

Hey everyone,

I've been a P3P flyer for well over a year now.  Someone saw my pictures on facebook and loved my photography work.  They want me to take pictures so they can use them to promote tourism to the county.   I don't have a Part 107.  I don't intend to charge a profit for the pictures nor do I intend to make a business of it.  Is it allowed to donate the pictures but charge gas money for traveling to the site(s) to take the pictures?  

Thanks.
2017-2-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Seems kind of pointless to ask about this private transaction, on a public forum!!

If a tree falls in a forest and No one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Well yes, you will always hear Timber!! Haha

Post them pics here too, will ya? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-9
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha fans39,

Sorry, but what you are proposing is illegal under the current FAA regulations and enforcement attitude.  There is no way around it.  If the FAA catches you they will let you know it and it may hurt in the process.  I know it seems stupid but the FAA is trying to manage the National Air Space.  To do what you want to do, you need to get your FAA Part 107 certificate.  The occupants of that airspace is doubling and that creates a lot of problems they never had before.  To be honest, the FAA is doing the best they can under the circumstances.

What RedHot meant to say is, "If a man says something in the forest and a woman does not hear it, Is he still wrong?"

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-9
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-9 01:52
Seems kind of pointless to ask about this private transaction, on a public forum!!

If a tree falls in a forest and No one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Aloha RedHot,

Are you sure you did not mean to say; "If a man says something in the forest and a woman does not hear it, Is he still wrong?"

Aloha and Drone On!

2017-2-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-9 02:08
Aloha fans39,

Sorry, but what you are proposing is illegal under the current FAA regulations and enforcement attitude.  There is no way around it.  If the FAA catches you they will let you know it and it may hurt in the process.  I know it seems stupid but the FAA is trying to manage the National Air Space.  To do what you want to do, you need to get your FAA Part 107 certificate.  The occupants of that airspace is doubling and that creates a lot of problems they never had before.  To be honest, the FAA is doing the best they can under the circumstances.

Ken, you should have been a comedian, or at least a commissioned joke writer. Haha
You make me laugh, nearly every day, even though I've had the chuckles all day, I'm still laughing  with you... Thanks!! ;-)
Here are a couple for you..
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

RedHotPoker

2017-2-9
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-9 02:08
Aloha fans39,

Not everyone on these forums lives in the USA either.
2017-2-9
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-9 03:13
Not everyone on these forums lives in the USA either.

Aloha blackcrusader,

Agreed, but the question was about a US FAA regulation by a registered US operator.  My comment may be considered reasonable under the circumstances.

But, if we were referencing Taiwan, you could feel free to tell me to take a hike!  And I would take a hike - Taiwan is nice!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-9
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-9 03:35
Aloha blackcrusader,

Agreed, but the question was about a US FAA regulation by a registered US operator.  My comment may be considered reasonable under the circumstances.

I might sneak into the USA do some footage then sell it in Taiwan.
2017-2-9
Use props
fans39c6a553
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Cetacean for the information.  I will tell them I can't do it.   I just thought that maybe I could still take the pics provided they give me $10 for gas money.  What they wanted was local.  I wasn't trying to go around any law by saying I'm not charging for the photos but the gas money will be $150 type of thing.
2017-2-9
Use props
captirwin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5568 ft
United States

What about just giving away the photos/videos for nothing. ABSOLUTELY NO REMUNERATION OR COMPENSATION OF ANY KIND.
Would that violate the FAR's?
Thanks.
2017-2-9
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans39c6a553 Posted at 2017-2-9 05:31
Thanks Cetacean for the information.  I will tell them I can't do it.   I just thought that maybe I could still take the pics provided they give me $10 for gas money.  What they wanted was local.  I wasn't trying to go around any law by saying I'm not charging for the photos but the gas money will be $150 type of thing.

Would it not be worth doing the 107 exam, cost doesn't look excessive ?

http://uavcoach.com/drone-certification/#9
2017-2-9
Use props
PinpointMapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

captirwin Posted at 2017-2-9 08:35
What about just giving away the photos/videos for nothing. ABSOLUTELY NO REMUNERATION OR COMPENSATION OF ANY KIND.
Thanks.

If the photos are used for a Commercial purpose, then it is a problem.  Take some time and study the necessary information and take the FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate test then charge for the service legally.
2017-2-9
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-9 04:26
I might sneak into the USA do some footage then sell it in Taiwan.

Aloha blackcrusader,

Be sure to send me the link.  I am chaffing at the bit over here!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-9
Use props
fans39c6a553
lvl.2
United States

Just to follow up with this.  I passed the work on to a guy that's in the same county as me.  I met him last November.  After reconnecting with him this afternoon, I learned he got his 107 on Dec 30th.  

I'd have no problems donating the pic & video work itself but I'm not going to put miles on my car and use up gas at my own expense.  For now, it will remain strictly an entertainment hobby.  
2017-2-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Do we get to see any free pics? ;-)

Or do you need to post money for the Internet expenses. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-2-9
Use props
fansaa3da6c4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 347507 ft
United States

Kinda like paying a hooker for a condom and getting the sex for free.  You couldn't break a law against prostitution if you didn't pay for sex.
2017-2-16
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've got just one word to say to, and that one word happens to be my favorite word and is also used quite often when I'm taking pictures for someone, the word is CASH!!!!!!!!
2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-2-16 13:51
I've got just one word to say to, and that one word happens to be my favorite word and is also used quite often when I'm taking pictures for someone, the word is CASH!!!!!!!!

Cash = Could Always Share Happily. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-16
Use props
Focus4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2436886 ft
United States

Here's the catch...The FAA could fine you as much as $32,000 (yes, that's true) if they catch you accepting ANYTHING in return for your photos or videos. Sure, you can probably get away with doing it for cash. Or you can get your Part 107 Certification and become a real Remote Pilot. It's not that hard to do, and the benefits of being legit are tremendous. For example, if my aircraft falls from the sky and causes damage or injury, my insurance covers it. What happens to you? You are sued for damages, the FAA levies major fines, and the IRS starts asking about your cash transactions. Granted, that's a big IF, but it does happen. This forum is littered with stories about crashes. Also, when you get Certificated, now you can start advertising your services for real and make a few bucks with the drone.

Alternatively, if you don't want to go through all of that to take a few pics for one guy, just eat the gas costs and look at it as a great opportunity to fly your aircraft.
2017-2-16
Use props
warloc59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209160 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantom photography
2017-2-16
Use props
JayOne
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-9 01:52

lol
2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Hey, who are you laughing at.. Hahahaha

Yeah, we do have a lot of fun on here.
And it's my pleasure to amuse anyone who needs that uplifting.

RedHotPoker

2017-2-16
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

How about have them pick you up and drive you there and back. Then no remuneration needed and no laws broken.
2017-2-16
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
United States

fans39c6a553 Posted at 2017-2-9 20:08
Just to follow up with this.  I passed the work on to a guy that's in the same county as me.  I met him last November.  After reconnecting with him this afternoon, I learned he got his 107 on Dec 30th.  

I'd have no problems donating the pic & video work itself but I'm not going to put miles on my car and use up gas at my own expense.  For now, it will remain strictly an entertainment hobby.

How about have them pick you up and drive you there and back. Then no remuneration needed and no laws broken.
2017-2-16
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-9 02:10
Aloha RedHot,

Are you sure you did not mean to say; "If a man says something in the forest and a woman does not hear it, Is he still wrong?"

Short answer, 'Yes'.
2017-2-16
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Robert,

At least you did not have to draw me a picture like RedHot did!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

You need to find the right gal, then it will always be Yes. Hahahaha

If not, then trouble will surely closely follow you , for the rest of your natural life..
Or until death doth you part. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2017-2-16
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

captirwin Posted at 2017-2-9 08:35
Thanks.

Aloha capt,

That would still be regarded as commercial.  A New York UAV guy was doing something similar and was fined $2 mil.  It was later reduced to $200,000.  But, he was trying to skirt the rules on commercial flight.  I had no sympathy for the guy.

The FAA looks at such efforts as commercial on the surface.  To fly in a social context you would have to intend to be doing something completely different.  Intention is everything in legal matters.  Even then the FAA will make you fight for your pocketbook.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-16
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans39c6a553 Posted at 2017-2-9 20:08

Aloha fans39,

If your friend wants to be "Pilot in Command", you can still fly with him under his 107 until you get your 107.  You would be part of the "Flight Crew".  Look it up in Part 107.  He would have to be willing to be the responsible party though.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules