Panasonic 14 to 42mm lens on a X5S (see Video)
16893 61 2017-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Octavian
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56158 ft
United States

fans216af721 Posted at 2017-3-24 09:37
t came with two screwed together..... can you advise me on what one or ones to use please?

Yes they are 2 rings. You must use both. If you want to add filters unscrew the smaller ring and screw the filter. The larger and heavier ring stays in place.
2017-3-26
Use props
Johan-Martin
lvl.1

Norway

When i turn off my I2, the Camera on the X5S "falls" backwards.
Is this supose to happen?
2017-7-13
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Johan-Martin Posted at 2017-7-13 03:13
When i turn off my I2, the Camera on the X5S "falls" backwards.
Is this supose to happen?

Yes, when the lens closes, the COG moves backward. When it is extended, it is in balance.
I tested this by putting the lens on my GH4, extending it, then removing it from the GH4 without turning it off. This kept the lens extended. I then mounted it on my X5S (Not attached to  the I2) and it balanced perfectly.
2017-7-13
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I have the focusing hand-wheel and there is a menu in GO for it that says Aperture, Zoom, and Focus as well as a Normal/Reverse for the dial's direction spin.  You can only do one function though unless you enter and move the green bar to another of the three.  Perhaps this will work for the zoom part (I don't have one, just primes.).  There are some screw locks on the outer focus wheel so you can stop it from going beyond where you want it.  It works pretty well and smooth, just it is heavy and off to the side quite a bit to get your hand between it and the RC box.

Also, there seems to be two versions for the I2:  One has a removable cable and plug (HW#1) that goes into that CanBus plug on the RC, and the other newer one has the cable within part of the arm and pins at the wheel to bracket portion instead of the plug and jack in prior one (Later is HW#2 I think?).  Some report a thread length issue with HW#2 with the pins to tighten it to the bracket.  HW#1 also needs a special longer cable too that's extra.

2017-7-13
Use props
fansc6a34a9d
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Yes   I love mine
2017-8-1
Use props
fansc6a34a9d
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000103944296
2017-8-1
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans216af721 Posted at 2017-3-24 09:37
t came with two screwed together..... can you advise me on what one or ones to use please?

I assume you are referring to the two-part balancing rings. Use both parts if you are using the lens with no additional filter, but use only the larger (heavier) part if you are using a UV or ND filter..
Regards
Allan
2017-8-1
Use props
fansc776fa97
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3620226 ft
Australia

Arrow1969 Posted at 2017-3-25 19:59
Hi what are you referring to not quite sure what you mean.

This lens requires 2 di balance rings to be balanced correctly. They screw onto the front of the. Without them the lens wont balance correctly.

Answer to above is that you need two of them, they are attached and then screw to the lens face.
2017-8-4
Use props
AdI94
New

Indonesia

I have bought the wrong lumix lens 14-42 mm . I am not getting zooming option in DJI app after installing the zoom lens. I have partially balanced the zoom lens using BR which came with DJI MFT15mm. In order to get the option should the lens be fully balanced? I am using the latest aircraft firmware. Help me out guys. Thanks
2017-8-22
Use props
fanse186c04e
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

did you find a ND 16 (4 stops) for it, i can not find it :-(
2017-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Arrow1969 Posted at 2017-2-9 19:38
https://youtu.be/8xjBIKOYoTY

Is that zoom controlled by the slider (like in, the lens has its own motor?)
2017-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Arrow1969 Posted at 2017-2-10 08:39
It is the first pic Lumix 14-42

Ah, never mind. I see, it has a zoom slider on the lens also.
2017-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Arrow1969 Posted at 2017-2-10 08:40
DJI Inspire 2  Panasonic 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 Lumix Lens just a quick test.

https://youtu.be/sZxKA584qFo

Wow, that looks 'spy cam' to me. Not used to seeing footage from a drone that is not 'wide'
Did you already get usable footage on 42mm?
I wonder how the gimbal will hold while moving.
2017-9-15
Use props
Robbie1978
lvl.1
Flight distance : 855935 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all, i am looking for some help with an issue i am having on this subject that is driving me mad! I have recently started using the X5S with the above mentioned Panasonic 14-42 mm zoom lens, and i am having issues with a wavy/rippling effect in the video footage that i capture. I have been trying various camera settings but i keep getting the wavy like effect when playing back the footage on the computer afterwards and nothing i try seems to solve the problem. It also doesn't seem to work it's full range either, with the slider on the Go4 app only going between 15-40 mm, not 14-42 which seems a bit strange to me also. I was getting the same wavy effect with the Olympus 14-42mm EZ zoom lens and i sent it back to replaced with this one as i thought it was a faulty lens, but the exact same thing is happening with this one.
The image isn't wavy all the time when at 15 mm, but seemes to be wavy all the time as soon as any zoom is applied, and especially when zoomed all the way to 40 mm (which is max for some reason). I am using this camera on an M200 which i have only had for a couple of months, but it works perfectly with the 15mm DJI lens that came with the camera. It also makes a weird screetching noise when powering up the m200 with this lens fitted to the camera which lasts for about 10 seconds or so whilst the zoom powers up and sometimes a bit longer. I am of course using the recommended balancing ring for this lens as supplied by DJI. Can anyone please advise if this is to be expected from using this kind of lens with the X5S? Is the zoom function only really of use for when stationary? Is it because the camera wasn't built with an in-built zoom function and the stabilization coming from the lesn it's self maybe not designed to be flown around attached to a drone? I didn't see this mentioned anywhere when researching the compatible lenses and assumed that the zoom function would work whilst flying and recording video, otherwise i would not have bought it. Any help or advise much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
2017-10-30
Use props
The Polymath
lvl.2
Flight distance : 644672 ft
United States

Robbie1978@msn. Posted at 2017-10-30 13:24
Hi all, i am looking for some help with an issue i am having on this subject that is driving me mad! I have recently started using the X5S with the above mentioned Panasonic 14-42 mm zoom lens, and i am having issues with a wavy/rippling effect in the video footage that i capture. I have been trying various camera settings but i keep getting the wavy like effect when playing back the footage on the computer afterwards and nothing i try seems to solve the problem. It also doesn't seem to work it's full range either, with the slider on the Go4 app only going between 15-40 mm, not 14-42 which seems a bit strange to me also. I was getting the same wavy effect with the Olympus 14-42mm EZ zoom lens and i sent it back to replaced with this one as i thought it was a faulty lens, but the exact same thing is happening with this one.
The image isn't wavy all the time when at 15 mm, but seemes to be wavy all the time as soon as any zoom is applied, and especially when zoomed all the way to 40 mm (which is max for some reason). I am using this camera on an M200 which i have only had for a couple of months, but it works perfectly with the 15mm DJI lens that came with the camera. It also makes a weird screetching noise when powering up the m200 with this lens fitted to the camera which lasts for about 10 seconds or so whilst the zoom powers up and sometimes a bit longer. I am of course using the recommended balancing ring for this lens as supplied by DJI. Can anyone please advise if this is to be expected from using this kind of lens with the X5S? Is the zoom function only really of use for when stationary? Is it because the camera wasn't built with an in-built zoom function and the stabilization coming from the lesn it's self maybe not designed to be flown around attached to a drone? I didn't see this mentioned anywhere when researching the compatible lenses and assumed that the zoom function would work whilst flying and recording video, otherwise i would not have bought it. Any help or advise much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Robbie,
What you're experiencing are from micro vibrations. They are caused by one of two things.
1: your gimbal and lens are not balanced properly, so you are seeing the force of the gimbal motor trying to correct the imbalance in 'pulses'.
2: you have excessive imbalance in your propellers, causing vibrations that your isolator cannot even remove.

This waviness is from the sequential scanning / rolling shutter of the camera's sensor.

Aloha,
Brian
2017-11-14
Use props
JeremyPCP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16076 ft
United States

Robbie, I had this same problem with all my "non wide angle" lenses including the Panasonic 14-42 with all of them having the corresponding balance rings. Look for my thread her in the forums for all the info but in a bit shell it was all caused by heavy vibrations in the aircraft every time the landing gear was rased. It ended up being a bad flight controller dji replaced and now it's perfect. Hope this helps.
2017-12-28
Use props
blakekimmel
lvl.1
United States

Does anyone have any comments on image quality between teh Olympus 14-42mm and the Panasonic 14-42mm. I am flying X5R on Inspire 1 and the image results with the Olympus lens are not stellar. Anyone used both lenses and been able to compare?
2018-1-24
Use props
fans48156679
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3287815 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-2-10 15:45
FYI, I bought that lens and tried to mount it to the X5 and it would not physically fit.
They must have made some changes to the configuration of the camera when designing the X5S.
Just wanted to let others know this would not work on the X5 / X5R and why.

I stupidly made that same mistake too after looking at Inspire2 forums rating the pancake Panasonic 14-42mm above the Olympus 14-42mm.
Wonder if the newer Panasonic 14-42mm fits the X5?
2018-2-25
Use props
fans48156679
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3287815 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

blakekimmel Posted at 2018-1-24 11:51
Does anyone have any comments on image quality between teh Olympus 14-42mm and the Panasonic 14-42mm. I am flying X5R on Inspire 1 and the image results with the Olympus lens are not stellar. Anyone used both lenses and been able to compare?

The "Panasonic H-PS14042E-K Lumix G X VARIO 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH"  will NOT fit on the X5R or the X5 on the Inspire 1.
The X5S for the Inspire 2 has a wider distance between pivot mounts on the camera body allowing the above lens to fit it.
2018-2-25
Use props
Mediapix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44600 ft
Netherlands

Arrow1969 Posted at 2017-2-9 20:33
Yes it does and on start-up it just extends to its operational position.

It is corrected in the last firmware update
2019-1-22
Use props
A.S. Aerial
lvl.1
Flight distance : 248274 ft

United States

I just bought a Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm it is the 2nd one shown in the pictures above. It is way heaver then my other lens, and the gimbal is not strong enough, I also bought the weight rings from DJI, they have not arrived yet, but I do not see how they would make it balance any better. Does the G Vario work? I have been searching around for that answer but cannot seem to find it.
2019-2-6
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A.S. Aerial Posted at 2-6 16:07
I just bought a Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm it is the 2nd one shown in the pictures above. It is way heaver then my other lens, and the gimbal is not strong enough, I also bought the weight rings from DJI, they have not arrived yet, but I do not see how they would make it balance any better. Does the G Vario work? I have been searching around for that answer but cannot seem to find it.

You have the wrong lens. You need the "pancacke" lens for use with the Inspire-2.
Regards
Allan
2019-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules