ITELITE RANGE BOOSTER For P3S Installed, Maybe
890 4 2017-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bourgeois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

As the subject says, I got my DBS mod installed but a bit worried about the finished product. Sometime during the removal of the center wire (see picture below) or the silicone around the connection I appeared to have damaged the connection on the remote itself. When I tried to install the new wire for the DBS it would not clip on as the contact was no longer circular. I did manage to shape it somewhat, push the wire on and apply hot glue. It appears to be holding.

I fired up the remote/drone/mobile and all appears ok (wifi signal, video) but I cant really test it outside until the weather warms up a bit. My questions are:

1) If it turns out the glue wont hold could I try to solder the wire to the connection on the remote??
2) I know the center wire is 2.4ghz wifi but what is this used for? (i.e. video feed)

Any advise would be appreciated

remote.jpg
2017-2-9
Use props
Maxxpsoft
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380594 ft
United States

They are for the wifi for your video.. Those are called u.fl connectors and they sell the receptacle on amazon or elsewhere. https://www.amazon.com/Coaxial-C ... rds=u.fl+connectors
Might be easier to solder a new connector on.

The actual tools to remove and install these u.fl things are ridiculous price. They are a PITA and I went looking when I had to replace both going to my gimbal which involved taking the bird apart. Think I seen tool to put it on like $95 at newark.
2017-2-9
Use props
Bourgeois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

Maxxpsoft Posted at 2017-2-9 15:52
They are for the wifi for your video.. Those are called u.fl connectors and they sell the receptacle on amazon or elsewhere. https://www.amazon.com/Coaxial-Connector-Solder-Mount-Socket/dp/B00W97NZUY/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1486683938&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=u.fl+connectors
Might be easier to solder a new connector on.

I ordered a set of connectors (4 of them) for just over $3.00 CAN. It gets better... Free shipping too

https://www.amazon.ca/Coaxial-Co ... F+Coaxial+Connector

Is the tool required to remove the damaged connector on my controller or is there another way???

2017-2-10
Use props
timbo
lvl.2
United States

I would just solder it
2017-2-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

It doesn't appear that soldering the ufl head piece onto that thin wire is going to provide an adequate connection.  You can see from the part you ordered that you really need a thicker stem, which is to say, you need to use that ordered part.

The easy thing is to hire somebody to do it.  

Or you could do it.  Even if you mess it up, it'll be good experience.  

I would scrape that silicon off clean and figure out how to get that old part off there while leaving the wire intact, which it appears is sticking up from underneath, right?  Do you have a hot air rework station?  You might think about getting one.  It might loosen things up and help you remove that old part.  I bought one a while back to aid me in this kind of task, I think it was around $50 from China.  If you're gonna be serious about modding drones, you may as well get one now.  But you're probably going to want to remove the board from the controller before you start work so you don't melt the white plastic (yeah I'm speaking from experience).  

Then simply push that part you ordered down on top of the wire and attach it to the board with whatever means possible.  

From there you're good to go.  Just snap the ufl head on top.  Nice solid connection.  

Be advised:  I'm basically talking out of my butt because I've never done what I just described although I've done related work like this.

Good luck,
2017-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules