Drone shots on TV and movies
1063 10 2017-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WA5TEF
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124672 ft
United States

I have started noticing what appears to be drone shots on various TV commercials, programs and movies.  It is very obvious that they were made with a drone instead of a helicopter or fixed wing aircraft.  Does anyone know what model or brand these high end  shots might use?  
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
2017-2-9
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Most likely the Inspire series.
2017-2-9
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

I did see them using an Inspire when filming the last of the Pirates of the Carribean movies. That was at about the same time as the Pistol & Boo scandal last year.
2017-2-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Seen many inadvertant shots of Phantoms, on drone video news feeds.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-9
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Since owning one I too notice the amount of use these devices get for filming. There must have been a downturn in helicopter filming recently.
2017-2-9
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Probably Inspire Series or Matrice or Spreading Wings....
2017-2-9
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-9 17:53
Since owning one I too notice the amount of use these devices get for filming. There must have been a downturn in helicopter filming recently.

Without a doubt - much cheaper to deploy a drone rather than a helicopter, and they'd only be prepared to pay peanuts for it.

Also, it's 'selective perception' - you see more such shots now because you're aware and possibly even looking for them. Hey, I can't watch 'The Grand Tour' now without pointing something out each episode...
2017-2-9
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-9 17:53

Well compare the cost of hiring a chopper kitted out with crew and camera equipment vs the cost of even a Phantom 4 Pro.   Thousands per hour vs $1500 for lots of unlimted filming
2017-2-9
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

Film crane operators are also being replaced. And some tracks. Anyone remember The Stuntman, with Peter O'toole?

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-2-9
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

The local news channels here use drones all the time, mostly I1 & P4.
2017-2-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-9 19:38
Without a doubt - much cheaper to deploy a drone rather than a helicopter, and they'd only be prepared to pay peanuts for it.

Also, it's 'selective perception' - you see more such shots now because you're aware and possibly even looking for them. Hey, I can't watch 'The Grand Tour' now without pointing something out each episode...

I started doing that when I watch Grand Tour also!  
2017-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules