Most Consecutive Flights
1803 16 2017-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Milky
lvl.1

United States

So I ordered my Mavic. I also ordered 3 extra batteries. Doing some simple calculations, I realized I didn't necessarily take into account if the bird could handle cycling 4 batteries in a row. Basically my question is does anyone know of a safe limit/if there is one as to how many consecutive flights the mavic can safely handle?
2017-2-9
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I have no idea if there's a safe limit, but I pretty frequently conduct three flights in a row and less often four or even five. The only effect on the Mavic I've noticed is that the bottom is pretty warm when I'm done, so you should be fine.
2017-2-9
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I would imagine the main worry would be temperature.  Watch your temps, and fly.  If WX is warm, you might see pretty high battery temps.
2017-2-9
Use props
Milky
lvl.1

United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-2-9 19:04
I would imagine the main worry would be temperature.  Watch your temps, and fly.  If WX is warm, you might see pretty high battery temps.

Thats what my main concern was, temperature. I fly with my battery status up so ill check it frequently. Just wanted some other feedback before I do something i could have prevented by asking. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
2017-2-9
Use props
Milky
lvl.1

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-9 18:50
I have no idea if there's a safe limit, but I pretty frequently conduct three flights in a row and less often four or even five. The only effect on the Mavic I've noticed is that the bottom is pretty warm when I'm done, so you should be fine.

Thanks for the info, whats the normal ambient temp when you fly?
2017-2-9
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

I'm pretty sure before it gets too hot, you will be notified to take it down.
- I have flown 4 batteries straight, one after another on a 30 celsius (86 fah)  day, just a bit warm on the heat sinks.

The only thing I did when I finished, was let the Mavic cool off a bit before sliding into the bag to avoid any over heating / baking inside the bag. (Also left the zips open.
2017-2-9
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

cluc Posted at 2017-2-9 19:17
I'm pretty sure before it gets too hot, you will be notified to take it down.
- I have flown 4 batteries straight, one after another on a 30 celsius (86 fah)  day, just a bit warm on the heat sinks.

I second that... I also let it sit for few minutes, between flights, and it usually cool off pretty fast.
2017-2-9
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Why should there be a limit on consecutive flights ?

Do cars have a distance limit ? (except refuelling gas ), smartphones a screen-on limit ? computers a limit in computing time ?

The Mavic consists of a smartphone (electronic circuits) and electric motors. They can run continously provided the AMBIENT temperature is WITHIN operating range like it is with every electric motor/electronic circuit with specified operating range.

So if within this range You can fly the entire day (but then You need 30 batteries) if outside the specified range maybe after 5 minutes Mavic will tell You: I stop working .................

(The iPhone will die immediately at temperatures below -5°C)  
2017-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-2-10 03:50
Why should there be a limit on consecutive flights ?

Do cars have a distance limit ? (except refuelling gas ), smartphones a screen-on limit ? computers a limit in computing time ?

Just buy two Mavics , one RC and plenty of batteries, you can fly 24 hours.
2017-2-10
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Milky Posted at 2017-2-9 19:10
Thanks for the info, whats the normal ambient temp when you fly?

I've flown in a fairly broad range of temperatures, from at or just below freezing to probably around 75F. There seem to be a lot of folks on this forum flying Mavics in the southern hemisphere (especially Australia), and they may have more insight on how or if the higher temperatures of summer weather affect the Mavic. For me, though, 3-5 consecutive flights hasn't been a problem at all so far.
2017-2-10
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-10 04:03
Just buy two Mavics , one RC and plenty of batteries, you can fly 24 hours.

Doesn´t work ! RC and Mavic are coded to each other. You can´t fly two Mavics with ONE RC.

Would lead to too many Mavic-thefts  
2017-2-10
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-2-10 04:21
Doesn´t work ! RC and Mavic are coded to each other. You can´t fly two Mavics with ONE RC.

I believe that you can connect the RC to a different Mavic but you need physical access to both devices.  The original devices are connected in the factory but there's a small button next to the SD card.
2017-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

https://store.dji.com/category/mavic-accessories

You might be wrong about that, I know it's possible to use two different RC with P4Pro so no reason not to with Mavic, as you can see from the link , you can now buy Mavic without RC and also RC without Mavic.
2017-2-10
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Hmmm, $900 (USD) for the Mavic by itself and another $300 for the controller? That doesn't make a lot of sense considering that the "fly less" is still sold for $1,000. The previously-cited $750 would have been a lot more appropriate.
2017-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-10 04:49
Hmmm, $900 (USD) for the Mavic by itself and another $300 for the controller? That doesn't make a lot of sense considering that the "fly less" is still sold for $1,000. The previously-cited $750 would have been a lot more appropriate.

Yeah pricing doesn't look right..
2017-2-10
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

No worries, the cooling fan kicks in at 110 degrees Fahrenheit, so it doesn't matter if you fly twice or 10 times in a row the temperature remains constant
2017-2-10
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

Have 2 controllers also a fly the second with your feet
2017-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules