Should I buy a parachute for my drone?
2126 9 2017-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Should I buy a parachute for my drone?  What if I get hit by strong winds and can't fly home? lol

2017-2-10
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

Don't worry. I'll bring your drone down easy.

radar

radar
2017-2-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Somebody posted on pp a while back that their parachute malfunctioned and opened for no particular reason which, of course, caused the AC to crash.  The parachute company replaced the AC which is nice, but still...
2017-2-10
Use props
Focus4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2436886 ft
United States

No. If you do your homework properly, you will know what the winds and weather are like where you are flying.
2017-2-10
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

I don't think a parachute is going to bring it home in strong winds?   Probably either drop it in the river or blow it towards a cliff to be battered by rocks!

Unless it is an RC steerable parachute?

If it falls out the sky for no good reason then the props normally work as a poor parachute and limit the damage anyway.
2017-2-10
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

I have never needed a chute!
if you learn how and when to fly you should never need a parachute

good luck and have fun flying!
2017-2-10
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-2-10 09:29
I don't think a parachute is going to bring it home in strong winds?   Probably either drop it in the river or blow it towards a cliff to be battered by rocks!

Unless it is an RC steerable parachute?

I guess I'll have 400m or 500m to find out lol
2017-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

As I already mentioned before in another thread. A parachute in strong winds might be a worse thought, than not flying in the strong gusting wind, to begin with.
Use your flight SIM or buy a copy of www.realflight.com for days that flying out of doors aren't appropriate. Save your drone flights for another day.

Parachutes are for flying in normal conditions, not challenging yourself in hurricanes and pre tornado conditions.
Like a happy kid with a new cherished toy, I understand your enthusiasm, of wishing for your opportunity to fly everyday, you aren't alone on that lofty storm front. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2017-2-10
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-10 10:21
As I already mentioned before in another thread. A parachute in strong winds might be a worse thought, than not flying in the strong gusting wind, to begin with.
Use your flight SIM or buy a copy of www.realflight.com for days that flying out of doors aren't appropriate. Save your drone flights for another day.

What he said
2017-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes. There are many other hobbies, crafts and libraries for study, during times that don't favour challenging dear Mother Nature. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules