Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Range extender
974 11 2017-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansea692431
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263737 ft
United States

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MXRWSWD/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A2IG10YOT25FYH&psc=1

Anyone use these to boost rc signal? O read signal booster reduces loosing control of your bird.
2017-2-10
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I got an identical -- or at least very similar -- item off eBay for about half that amount, and my (admittedly ad-hoc / unscientific) testing suggested that if anything it reduced the signal strength. I seem to recall watching one of Rick Smith's ("Drone Valley") videos where he demonstrated an increase in signal strength, but that just wasn't my experience.
2017-2-10
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought the same on eBay and the reduced my range by half!! I was not impressed....
2017-2-10
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

I've got to ask... How much more range do we need? At 7km (admittedly not a realistic figure) why would we need more range? I'm uncomfortable flying the Inspire out of line of sight and it's a pretty big craft. Once it's out past 500m you can't see it so you have to rely on the image and map on screen. The Mavic with it's small footprint is even worse as far as line of sight goes. Don't get me wrong... I do fly out of line of sight (most all of us do) but I can not see a need for range extenders on a craft that has more range than I'll ever come close to using.
2017-2-10
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2017-2-10 05:57
I've got to ask... How much more range do we need? At 7km (admittedly not a realistic figure) why would we need more range? I'm uncomfortable flying the Inspire out of line of sight and it's a pretty big craft. Once it's out past 500m you can't see it so you have to rely on the image and map on screen. The Mavic with it's small footprint is even worse as far as line of sight goes. Don't get me wrong... I do fly out of line of sight (most all of us do) but I can not see a need for range extenders on a craft that has more range than I'll ever come close to using.

Depending upon where you're flying -- especially in urban and suburban areas -- it's possible to run into interference / signal loss long before you lose LOS. So sometimes range extenders are helpful to others just to achieve a range that your conditions allow you to take for granted.
2017-2-10
Use props
fansea692431
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263737 ft
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2017-2-10 05:57

My concern isnt really to extend the range but rather boost strength to overcome potential interference and loss of signal to prevent crash frombird going haywire.
2017-2-10
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Controller mods like this or this are more likely to be effective if you can afford it. I don't recall seeing any reviews for either of those, though.
2017-2-10
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

LOS makes sense. I've been pretty lucky so far and not encountered LOS with the exception of one time. It wasn't even in a populated area and was actually over a lake with line of sight to the controller. Lost video signal on the Inspire which in turn triggered the RTH function. I cancelled RTH and flipped to the map screen and brought it back until I regained video signal. Signal strength was low on all channels that day so I scrubbed the rest of the flights to be on the safe side. Not sure if a range extender would have helped in that circumstance or not.
2017-2-10
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

From what I have read and seen you would have more chance of extending your range by standing on a chair.
2017-2-10
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Snake Oil !!!.  

About the only thing this type of "booster" could possibly do  is to reduce some of interference that might be coming from behind the antenna.  The concave design that looks like a reflector dish is not geometrically correct for much (if any) forward gain.  Any directionality gained would be at the risk of losing signal if you aren't pointed directly at the drone.

I could sell you a couple of sheets of aluminum foil for half the price that would probably be just as effective :-)

2017-2-10
Use props
DesertDave
lvl.3
Flight distance : 55807 ft
United States

Just got back from flying with a buddy today. He has a P4 and I have the Mavic. He put on his range extender (looks just like the model you refer to) while I got a weak signal warning he did not. He swears by them now. He used to get weak signals at the distance we were flying but now does not. That is about as close a comparison as I have. After today, I am going to order a set.
2017-2-10
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
Guatemala

P4 and mavic use different signal systems. These do not work on mavic

Even flying over neighborhoods im getting over 16k feet with stock antenna. (Raise altitude of craft to get longer LOS between controller and the craft). My only distance limit is battery life
2017-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules