Scary Moments
1345 6 2017-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Genecidal
lvl.1

Australia

Thought I might start a thread to share some stories about drama, mystery and intrigue.
Moments in time where things have not gone the way they should have. Should be good for a giggle and maybe help someone out whos have the same issues.

SO just happened to me whilst flying my brand new Mavic PRO.
It starts as a beautiful, sunny, windless Brisbane day. Preflight done. Firmaware updated, RTH set to 30m(dbl checked) Lift off - Tripod mode, After 5 min flight @ 50m I hit the RTH and the damn thing proceeded to climb to 70m, i hit pause checked RTH, set to 20m, saved, back to flying, hit RTH went up to 100m.  WTF!!! Ok cancel RTH..... No problem.  Drop alt. to 70m and hit RTH .....lets see  100m.....120m..."Max height reached".....140m....150m.....160m....ENOUGH!!!!!! Canceled RTH and landed manually.
No big deal you say, all good.... well that was my 2nd flight....ever!!!
I am shaking right now. What the F#@K!!

#In retrospect : Posible causes
1. I did not cycle power after the firmware update.   
2. Mavic was facing sun when i hit RTH - I have read(after the issue) that if front sensors detect an obstacle ie. the sun, it will try to go over it.

2017-2-10
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Whoa! Scary when something happens like that for the first time...

My last scary moment was when I was videoing a vineyard in Victoria. I was a long way down a hill, and flying my P4P laterally across the vineyard at the top (about 300m away). There's a restaurant/cellar door there, and I decided to fly across it's front, still videoing and doing a reasonable speed. Suddenly, the P4 shook and leapt to the side on the iPad screen and an 'obstacle avoidance' message appeared. At that same moment I took my hands off the sticks and it instantly braked where it was. 'WTF?', I thought. I spun the P4 around on its axis to see what had happened, and a dual floodlight mounted on a tall pole suddenly filled the screen. I'd missed seeing it from the side completely, and almost flew straight into it. Nice to know the avoidance sensors do actually work...
2017-2-10
Use props
Genecidal
lvl.1

Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-10 18:43
Whoa! Scary when something happens like that for the first time...

My last scary moment was when I was videoing a vineyard in Victoria. I was a long way down a hill, and flying my P4P laterally across the vineyard at the top (about 300m away). There's a restaurant/cellar door there, and I decided to fly across it's front, still videoing and doing a reasonable speed. Suddenly, the P4 shook and leapt to the side on the iPad screen and an 'obstacle avoidance' message appeared. At that same moment I took my hands off the sticks and it instantly braked where it was. 'WTF?', I thought. I spun the P4 around on its axis to see what had happened, and a dual floodlight mounted on a tall pole suddenly filled the screen. I'd missed seeing it from the side completely, and almost flew straight into it. Nice to know the avoidance sensors do actually work...

Tech is awesome when it works. Ive since taken her up again and repeated the flight. RTH worked flawlessly. 3 repeats and all ok. #Fingers Crossed
2017-2-10
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Were you using a filter on the camera? I have experienced your problem but only when I had a filter on and the Mavic was facing into the sun when I instigated RTH. I had no problem using RTH facing into the sun without a filter. With the filter on, I only use RTH with the camera facing away from the sun and there is no problem.
2017-2-11
Use props
Genecidal
lvl.1

Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-2-11 20:04
Were you using a filter on the camera? I have experienced your problem but only when I had a filter on and the Mavic was facing into the sun when I instigated RTH. I had no problem using RTH facing into the sun without a filter. With the filter on, I only use RTH with the camera facing away from the sun and there is no problem.

No filters as yet.
Update: Ive tried to recreate the problem with no success. Even staring into the sun RTH worked flawlessly.  Ive got no idea what happened.  Since then Ive logged about 2 hrs flight time and repeatedly used RTH every few minutes to figure this out. Each time worked as it should.
Best guess is that it as I didnt power cycle after the firmware update the morning of the problem something got confused.
Hope this helps anyone who has a similar issue.
2017-2-11
Use props
Pandakev
lvl.2
Flight distance : 548763 ft
Australia

Genecidal Posted at 2017-2-11 23:44
No filters as yet.
Update: Ive tried to recreate the problem with no success. Even staring into the sun RTH worked flawlessly.  Ive got no idea what happened.  Since then Ive logged about 2 hrs flight time and repeatedly used RTH every few minutes to figure this out. Each time worked as it should.
Best guess is that it as I didnt power cycle after the firmware update the morning of the problem something got confused.

I have this issue too, believe it is the forward vision sensor and the sun, experienced it 3 out of 50 flights.
2017-2-20
Use props
Tim the Toolman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 275817 ft
Australia

Being a novice I thought I'd do a sneaky fly around Circular Key and get some quick shots (highly illegal folks) and hide the Mavic before anyone knows what's going on.  Problem is, with a massive cruise ship right there the interference is immediate and the drone decides as soon as it flies to head straight to the water!!!  I quickly retrieve it and that's the last time I ever fly a drone in a big city ever again....
2017-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules