GPS loss :how many have not ever had this ??
12Next >
3405 40 2015-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

Hi, we have been all reading several reports of GPS gignal loss (possibly due to abnormal compass reading) and switching to the much feared ATTI mode.
This is surely scaring many, specially the less eperienced pilots.
So far it has however never happned to me thought (having had , I must admit, only about 3-4 hours of flying with the inpsire).
I wonder if this behavour is more common on some inpires that others .
would other users that have never had an issue of this kind  (like me) please post a message confiming this. May be this will give some of the ones that are worrying some confidence and positiveness.

2015-2-20
Use props
MJDMike
lvl.3

United States

About 9 hours of flight time on the Inspire, and no loss of GPS or video signal.
2015-2-20
Use props
lukebowerman.ya
lvl.2

Malta

MJDMike Posted at 2015-2-20 23:58
About 9 hours of flight time on the Inspire, and no loss of GPS or video signal.

Second that.
2015-2-20
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

It seems to be an issue by the number of posts on the forum. I would suggest that you find a large open area and practice in the ATTI Mode. That is what I did when I was learning on my Phantom and I am glad that I did and will fly in ATTI from time to time. The main thing is to practice with it in that Mode, it is not that difficult and your confidence in flying will keep you from panicking when and if something happens out of the ordinary. I went to far once and the Phantom went into return home mode and when I had it in sight I switched to ATTI and brought it back the way that I wanted to and flew a little more. Think about it this way. A Commercial Passenger Jet is in auto Pilot and something goes wrong, the Pilot takes over and flies the Plane, He has to have that capability and experience.
2015-2-20
Use props
boogieman77.gma
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not a single drop in all my flights.
2015-2-20
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
France

You have to keep in mind that only 2-3 years ago, the choice was between atti and full manual, with no angle limitation. So in my opinion, being scared to fly atti, should scare all the people in the vicinity... Even with the WKM and the Naza V2, you can still fly in full manual, which in my opinion should be mastered to every pilots wanting to fly in a populated area.
Of course, as soon as you are not in visual range any more, it is an other matter. But it is prohibited in many countries in populated areas, so should not be a problem.

Happy landings
2015-2-20
Use props
kmylek
lvl.3
United States

None for me
2015-2-20
Use props
henon.email
lvl.3

France

10 flight and non one GPS loss , i hope it will stay this way
2015-2-20
Use props
ElliotTeskey
lvl.2

United States

Around 10 hrs so far and no issues
2015-2-20
Use props
MvH
lvl.1

Switzerland

No loss so far... About 3 hours flight time....
2015-2-20
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

thanks for responding... glad I am not the only one flying this hassle free (for now)!
Just completed 2 more flights this morning.. all fine thankfully!
2015-2-22
Use props
jaanus
lvl.2
Finland

Around 15 flights and no loss of GPS yet. Hope it stays this way
2015-2-22
Use props
brianmlevy.me
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2441663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have completed about 20 flights (3.5 hours) with no problems....
2015-2-22
Use props
brianmlevy.me
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi allessandrobecca: I totally agree with rodger. At mode should NOT be feared. Part of flying safely and responsibly is being able to fly in all modes. I strongly recommend that you practice in Atti mode in an open area until you overcome your fear....
2015-2-22
Use props
Florian_Lotter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8885013 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

alexmarnas Posted at 2015-2-21 00:36
You have to keep in mind that only 2-3 years ago, the choice was between atti and full manual, with  ...

My words...Completely agree!
2015-2-22
Use props
DJK
New
Flight distance : 44154 ft
United States

Numerous flights, no problems at all, I also usually fly it some in atti to stay comfortable with the feel. I am sure that experience with flying the phantom in manual doing more advanced maneuvers helped. You can always experiment/play/learn on an inexpensive phantom.
2015-2-22
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

once again, sofar never happened on my inspire... makes me think it must be also hardware related. may be some of the fitted compasses are defective or oversensitive??
2015-2-24
Use props
brianmlevy.me
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

About 25 flights completed with no problems....
2015-2-24
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

Numerous ATTI/GPS drop-outs on first flight with 1.2.0.17

No drops on 20 flights prior to 1.2.0.17 firmware update
2015-3-8
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

Just started having GPS loss in the newest firmware version.  Did not have any with the previous versions.
2015-3-8
Use props
SkySight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143566828 ft
United States

I've got about 175 flights with the Inspire. About 25 flights ago I started to notice a GPS error or a Compass Interference warning in red on top of the screen. I hope they fix it because it becomes pretty unstable. It's not crazy but you can surely feel the difference.
2015-3-8
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Zero GPS/compass issues but then I'm not and IMU/ compass junkie.
I calibrated my IMU and compass the day I got my Inspire and have not done either since. Part of my pre flight checklist though is to ALWAYS check the mod values prior to take off.
Oh..... Tell a lie... I did do another IMU and compass dance straight after upgrade to .17 and that's been it.
2015-3-8
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

Some GPS drops also may be effected by the location/region they are flying in.  Im not a GPS expert, but it seems that some parts of the world may not have as good coverage?  Also could be interference from outside sources.
2015-3-8
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Not one single time have I dropped GPS in 10 flights now. Odd how this happens to some and not all ?
2015-3-8
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

I did not have any problem when running version 14 of the firmware, but I get it every flight on version 16 and 17. If you're only looking at the aircraft in flight you may not even notice it switching to ATTI mode for a few seconds. Unless you are looking at the screen or are recording your screen and review later you may miss the shorter outages. The longer outages are hard to miss but they rarely happen to me (maybe one in twenty flights). The short ones happen every flight for me.

If you don't think you have these outages, record the entire flight with the inspire camera. When you get home play back the flight and if you see the gimbal twitch it is likely that was a compass error problem and the aircraft switched to ATTI at that point for a few seconds. The gimbal twitch and switch to ATTI mode usually happen at the same time.
2015-3-8
Use props
Chato1974.gmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2630909 ft
  • >>>
United States

I always get a drop at least once a flight for about 3-5 seconds then it locks in. It happens so fast that by the time you realize your in "Atti" mode and look down at the ipad it's on its last blinking red warning and back to green "safe to fly". What can shock you is when it switches to Atti mode and the speed goes up to 50 mph. I got use to the 35 max mph in GPS mode and the Atti it will fly!!
2015-3-8
Use props
drjackso.yahoo
lvl.1

United States

I have had GPS loss and even have a short video of the LED going to yellow when the Inspire1 varied of to one side when it happened.  This was running 16 code base. After upgrading to the latest code I had one flight that I took off to 20 ft and loss GPS but it regained it after 20 sec. I have not had it happen again. Have about 10 flights with new code.
The one thing I did differently when it happened on the new code was after I did Compass calibration and placed it on the ground I had full bars (not not know how many satellites   )., I then pick it up to move it and the LED went yellow and Loss GPS on the ground when my hand was on top holding it to move. This I would say was explainable but as soon as GPS was good I took off to 20 ft where it looked liked it needed a little more time to sync the satellites for GPS.
2015-3-9
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Third flight and it lost GPS at altitude in a stiff breeze, also compass error showed on screen. Please switch to ATTI - fast drifting downwind started, ars puckered, focus became instantly intense. Not interested in loosing brand new quad in the forest or lake! So I just focused on fighting the wind back to the landing site. No sooner did I get it back GPS returned. I did do a compass calibration and shut it off in one spot, picked it up and walked maybe 100 feet and re started it. I wonder if you need to do the dance every time you turn it on?
2015-3-9
Use props
al2sar
lvl.2

Greece

So far 2:16 minutes ,the last 15 after the new firmware with no instance of GPS loss
2015-3-10
Use props
mikepostons
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4655722 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had GPS loss on a flight on Saturday, it then started switching between P-Atti and P-Opti.  It was in slightly strong winds and was a challenge to recover manually.  Is there any obvious reasons why it would suddenly lose GPS?  You would think with 6 satellites connected it would be able to use at least one.  

Really wish the App or controller gave an audible alert to let you know the mode has changed.
2015-3-16
Use props
kmylek.roadrunn
lvl.3
United States

16 flights.....no problem here!
2015-3-16
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

still running  firmware ..16 and soar never ever had a GPS drop in may be 6 hours of total flight time and about 50 flights !
so, I think there most  be some  units with more stable hardware.
2015-3-16
Use props
Prop-Lock Girl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2419163 ft
Germany

Not a single drop of GPS in 15 hours of flight (knocking wood).
2015-3-16
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not a single loss that I know of and have been watching for it.
2015-3-16
Use props
Madame Concorde
lvl.2

United States

With firmware 1.2.0.17 I get one compass error about one min into the first flight of the day after that I am good the rest of the day. Next day the same thing etc....  
2015-3-16
Use props
marco
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1500794 ft
Austria

I get about one GPS-loss or compass error per flight. It only lasts for a few seconds and  happens even in completely open space. I always calibrate the copass when flying at a new location.
GPS reception seems to be generally really poor with my Inspire. When I am indoor next to the window, my iPhone has perfect GPS reception (MotionX GPS app) while the Inspire does not even show one bar at the GPS indicator.

I don't mind flying fully manual but I'd like to choose when to do so!

I own my Inspire only for few weeks and only used .16 and .17 firmware versions.

2015-3-16
Use props
Madame Concorde
lvl.2

United States

Madame Concorde Posted at 2015-3-17 07:51
With firmware 1.2.0.17 I get one compass error about one min into the first flight of the day after  ...

Just took off for another flight and less than one min into the flight it started to drift I looked down compass error a few seconds later all was good for the rest of the flight...

MC
2015-3-16
Use props
alvaro.helle
lvl.2

Mexico

The same happened to me. One error per day.
2015-3-16
Use props
michael.kolowic
lvl.1

United States

My experience is that my Inspire throws a compass error quite consistently about 10 seconds after takeoff, regardless of where I am and whether I have calibrated the compass.  It typically lasts 15-20 seconds (but has lasted as much as one minute), during which time I am in P-Atti mode, and then it switches back to P-GPS and generally stays there for the remainder of the flight.

I have tracked back through the 22 flights I have taken since the latest firmware update, and there wasn't a single flight without at least a 10-second Compass Error, switching to P-Atti.  GPS always shows all bars illuminated, so I don't think it's GPS coverage that's causing it in my case.

It feels as if the compass error tolerance was reduced substantially in the current firmware update, as I had no problems prior to update.
2015-3-17
Use props
lucaoms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 599049 ft
  • >>>
Italy

MJDMike Posted at 2015-2-20 23:58

the same
8 hours , never problem
by
2015-3-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules