DJI Support/Repair
2296 22 2015-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shaungish
lvl.2

United States

This is ridiculous.  I RMA'd my Inspire over 2 weeks ago.  I had to ship the unit myself (although other people have said they were provided a pre-paid shipping label - I was not).  The unit was finally checked into their system earlier this week and I received an automated check-in notification but since then I have not heard a damn thing.  
Why doesn't DJI understand that all any of their customers want is COMMUNICATION?  I understand how difficult roll-outs like this are.  I'm a pretty patient customer (hell - I own a RED camera... I have to be).  It would go a long way to just respond officially to a lot of these issues.

I also understand it's Chinese New Year... but my unit was shipped to the CA facility for repair.
2015-2-20
Use props
clintbarton
lvl.2

United States

I got the check-in email from support on 2/2. I received the email from support yesterday that it has been repaired. So it took just over 3 weeks from the time that they got it before i saw anything. Just waiting for a tracking number. 3 weeks seems to be about the norm from what i have read on different forums.
2015-2-20
Use props
shaungish
lvl.2

United States

Three weeks - that's actually acceptable... I just wish that they would notify me of what's going on with the unit.  There's a chance my issue isn't a warrantied fix so I want to make sure I'm not going to have to pay $2k to fix it. (One of the carbon fiber arms broke in transit).

Did you have to pay for your own shipping?
2015-2-20
Use props
clintbarton
lvl.2

United States

shaungish@gmail Posted at 2015-2-21 02:10
Three weeks - that's actually acceptable... I just wish that they would notify me of what's going on ...

No, DJI support provided me with a shipping label.

2015-2-20
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

I AM on week 3  No response
2015-2-20
Use props
shaungish
lvl.2

United States

clintbarton - I wonder why they didn't provide me with a shipping label?  All I got was an RMA # and had to ship it myself.
dbeck - That's really dicouraging.  What was the issue that forced you to RMA?

2015-2-20
Use props
laurent.crivell
lvl.2
Flight distance : 52549 ft
Switzerland

Ha ha, 3 weeks, you're too much demanding mu friend ! 5+ months I'm already awaiting my Phantom sent to DJI Germany !
2015-2-20
Use props
shaungish
lvl.2

United States

I hate to be this guy (and I'm not the litigious type) but at what point does the lack of response and what seems to be blatant disregard to end-users warrant a class action lawsuit?

DJI makes products that can cause serious damage and harm and it's not always an issue of "pilot error" or novice users.  Some of the issues that have been reported seem down right negligent.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=8387
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=8460

At the end of the day if either of these posts are true, then there are serious issues that need to be addressed before this causes an incident that grounds all of us for good.

We (pilots) have a responsibility to understand our crafts and to be good stewards of the technology.  While that means that pilots need to understand how to fly without GPS assistance it doesn't mean that DJI can treat all fly-away cases as "It just went into ATTI mode... pilot error."  DJI has a responsibility to put out products that thoroughly tested prior to release without conceptual flaws (self tightening props that have the potential to fall off mid flight) and an obligation to deliver on the implicit promise that a consumer of their product makes when them at the time of purchase.  Part of that promise is supporting their products when there are issues and responding in a timely manner.

In regards to my repair - if they would give me an estimate on cost to fix (if they determine it is not covered by warranty) and a timeframe - it would be much more acceptable.

Likewise - if they would be proactive about addressing the above two posts (so far there is only one DJI rep response in the flyaway post and it doesn't offer any real insight).  There needs to be some transparency.  We're dealing with equipment that can do serious damage.

I'm trying to look at this as objectively as possible.  Maybe the employees in America have their hands tied.  I've called in to their shop a couple of times and everyone I have talked to so far has been polite and reasonably helpful.  The problem is that once an order goes in or an RMA is sent in there seems to be a serious issue with follow up.

"It's Chinese New Year" is not an acceptable excuse.  Period.  DJI has an American division.  They need to step up and do something about these issues. Lack of communication is not acceptable.
2015-2-20
Use props
huffmd1
lvl.1

United States

I completely agree with shaungish.  The level of support that is being offered by DJI is bordering on getting litigious.  I have had my Inspire now for almost 2 months and after I first got it I broke the props due to drifting that was supposedly fixed in the latest firmware upgrade.  I have been asking for props for over a month and a half.  I cannot us my drone until I receive them and every time I ask they say they are coming soon, keep checking.  This shit is ridiculous and somebody needs to pin them down legally to treat their customers with more respect.  I believe there is a law in the US about keeping spare parts for products that you sell here.  I wish I was a lawyer, I would sue DJI's butt in a class action lawsuit.    
2015-2-20
Use props
Heijningen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6055745 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I totally agree

DJI 'support' doesn't communicate, rejects warranty without analysis and I will file a lawsuit soon.
2015-2-20
Use props
shaungish
lvl.2

United States

Again - the solution here is open communication.  That solves almost everything.
2015-2-20
Use props
clintbarton
lvl.2

United States

shaungish@gmail Posted at 2015-2-21 02:37
clintbarton - I wonder why they didn't provide me with a shipping label?  All I got was an RMA # and ...

I had a problem with my camera and support said it was a hardware issue and to RMA. Did you purchase yours direct from DJI or an authorized re-seller? Video of issue below.

http://youtu.be/Lux4GcfXzzM
2015-2-20
Use props
shaungish
lvl.2

United States

I ordered direct from DJI - which appears to have been a mistake.  It took longer to get it than going through a reseller.  That being said, it sounds like most people that have needed repairs that purchased through resellers have to send the units to either DJI in either LA or China anyway.
2015-2-20
Use props
clintbarton
lvl.2

United States

shaungish@gmail Posted at 2015-2-21 06:09
I ordered direct from DJI - which appears to have been a mistake.  It took longer to get it than goi ...

Yep, mine is in LA.
2015-2-20
Use props
shaungish
lvl.2

United States

Well... I just received a message from DJI that literally was just an invoice and instructions on how to pay the invoice.  There was literally no indication of turnaround time or shipping time.  Just an invoice for an amount.  It wasn't that unreasonable of an amount... and I can't tell if the work has already been completed or not.  I would assume an invoice would mean that it has been completed.  I didn't get an estimate or authorize work to be done.

Don't get me wrong - if it's fixed and on it's way back to me then I'm happy.  But again - communication is sorely lacking.
2015-2-20
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

I just got RMA without shipping label, my inspire 1 I just got yesterday, and when I flew about 20 feet hight today, one of the props jumped out itself, and the drone just dropped like a dead bird, it broke one of the arms, and the outside shell of camera. however, I tested that all the function is working. it's DJI's bug, not pilot control error. DJI should be responsible to repair.
2015-2-20
Use props
jhogge
lvl.2

United States

shaungish@gmail Posted at 2015-2-21 10:40
Well... I just received a message from DJI that literally was just an invoice and instructions on ho ...

I got the same invoice 4 days ago. I paid immediately, got a response immediately that they received payment, would fix and send to shipping.

I then called DJI NA (where my Inspire 1 is being repaired) and asked for someone to simply provide me with what parts had been replaced (the invoice does not specify in any detail) and was told they cannot tell me that information and that I would have to ask in an email.

WTF!?!? You cannot tell your customers what the result of your diagnosis was and what parts you replaced but you can demand payment? As a customer I have no way to talk about whats going on with anyone at DJI. Beyond frustrating.

So I emailed as instructed. No reply in return. Nothing.

2015-2-21
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

shaungish@gmail Posted at 2015-2-21 02:10
Three weeks - that's actually acceptable... I just wish that they would notify me of what's going on ...

I work for a manufacturer in the US, although we don't take the amount of time to respond nor do we have a customer base such as DJI's. Once an item hits the plant for repair it goes to the Techs. the customer service people are not aware of what is happening at that point. I would imagine and hope that is it is not a warranty issue that they would contact you as to the charge and ask is you authourize the repair. It would not be right to make the repair and then send you a horrific bill. I doubt that DJI would do that. You probably won't hear anything until they start to examine it and determine what has to be done.
2015-2-21
Use props
jhogge
lvl.2

United States

Today I got a reply with all the information I was asking for. My Inspire 1 is fixed and on its way back. Happy camper.
2015-2-23
Use props
clintbarton
lvl.2

United States

Congrats, still waiting on my tracking info.
2015-2-23
Use props
jhogge
lvl.2

United States

Yes. My happiness was premature. Still waiting for tracking information as well... tried to email again requesting this but I know better than to expect that after a month of ignoring every single email I have sent that they would suddenly decide to respond to their customers.
2015-2-24
Use props
jhogge
lvl.2

United States

Still no tracking information. Paid, fixed, and sitting in the shipping department collecting dust.

Once they have your money you are worth zero.
2015-2-25
Use props
rickyc31
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1078760 ft
United States

clintbarton@gma Posted at 2015-2-21 05:58
I had a problem with my camera and support said it was a hardware issue and to RMA. Did you purchas ...

What a great picture, when it does get fixed, I cant imagine the shots you will get!
2015-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules