Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Radar Red Arrow Error and Fix?
2856 11 2017-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VAS67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

Mavic Pro Radar red arrow shows different positions  depending on phone orientation or cable choice.
It seems the external USB Is correct or is it opposite phone orientation??
Any thoughts please??

2017-2-11
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

Changing the phones orientation is why you got a different result.  Not sure how good the compass accuracy of the AC or the phone will be inside with the devices sitting right next to each other.
2017-2-11
Use props
VAS67
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Jdwyier Posted at 2017-2-11 07:55
Changing the phones orientation is why you got a different result.  Not sure how good the compass accuracy of the AC or the phone will be inside with the devices sitting right next to each other.

I understand your point about how close they are together but the only reason I tested this in the first place is because this is what is happening in a real world flying scenario.
With my old Phantom 3 pro I always used the radar and it 100% accurate and when flying the Mavic and using the Radar arrow for reference I found is was a mile off.
2017-2-11
Use props
VAS67
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Jdwyier Posted at 2017-2-11 07:55

Also changing the phones orientation the opposite way it is supposed to be (as designed by DJI) corrected the issue.

2017-2-11
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

Would be interesting to see how the phones compass heading is affected by proximity to the RC.  Might have to fire up a compass app when I get home and see what happens as the phone is moved towards and way from the remote.  
2017-2-11
Use props
VAS67
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I've just done another quick test, used external USB and tried phone both ways up, radar arrow is only correct when home button is on the right hand side. (I'm using IPhone 7)
Opposite to stock DJI config.

Mavic Firmware = .300
Latest Go 4 app
Latest IPhone 7 IOS version
2017-2-11
Use props
VAS67
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Update: Just tried connecting with the Go 3 app (was using the recommended Go4 before)and radar works correctly whichever way up the phone is.
So DJI need to quickly address this in the next update.
2017-2-11
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

Out of curiosity I loaded a couple of different compass apps onto my phone just now and tested them both inside and outside (Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge).  Inside while surrounded by computers and other interference the compass was completely useless. I could spin the phone in any direction with any orientation and only got complete garbage. I then took it outside into an open area and found the compass was pretty accurate when holding the phone in portrait mode with a slight angle up, but still useless when holding it in landscape mode with a slight upward angle as it would be when mounted into the RC during use.  Not sure how this would affect the app though.  Interesting.... Now you've got me curious, will do some more testing when I have the Mavic with me.
2017-2-11
Use props
VAS67
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Jdwyier Posted at 2017-2-11 09:04
Out of curiosity I loaded a couple of different compass apps onto my phone just now and tested them both inside and outside (Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge).  Inside while surrounded by computers and other interference the compass was completely useless. I could spin the phone in any direction with any orientation and only got complete garbage. I then took it outside into an open area and found the compass was pretty accurate when holding the phone in portrait mode with a slight angle up, but still useless when holding it in landscape mode with a slight upward angle as it would be when mounted into the RC during use.  Not sure how this would affect the app though.  Interesting.... Now you've got me curious, will do some more testing when I have the Mavic with me.

Yes I'm curious too. Every time I log into a Mavic forum whether it's this one or the Mavic Pilots one I'm reading about another flyaway.  If the phone is confused about the Mavic heading then is this why the Mavics are flying off in the wrong direction?

Either way this radar cannot be trusted even when flying manually, never mind any of the flight modes.
2017-2-11
Use props
JoeSlasher
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1833829 ft
United States

VAS67, thank you for the information and posting a video.  I too have the same issue you have described, but is sporadic.  I will do some experimentation.  I agree that it has something to do with the iPhone GPS with the Mavic Controller.
2017-3-10
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

JoeSlasher Posted at 2017-3-10 19:12
VAS67, thank you for the information and posting a video.  I too have the same issue you have described, but is sporadic.  I will do some experimentation.  I agree that it has something to do with the iPhone GPS with the Mavic Controller.

This definitely has to do with the magnetic sticks in the RC. It does the same thing if the RC is in or off, and with any app that has a compass. Also, the compass can be greatly affected when moving the sticks.

I could see how this problem could be related to flyaways, if the pilot was depending on the radar compass for orientation. The iPhone phone compass is first used to orient your world. This can be confirmed by checking to make sure the N on the radar is truely north.  Then move the sticks around to make sure they aren't affecting the orientation of north. I've seen it flip 180 degrees.  Next the compass on the Mavic is used to orient the AC within your world. Best to ALWAYS check the orientation of both your world and your Mavic by turning completely around while monitoring north, then yawning the AC to assure the AC icon and AC agree.

As stated above getting the phone as far away from the RC is the best solution, especially since this problem is intermittent.
2017-3-26
Use props
BossBob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2048022 ft
United Kingdom

Ipad Mini users don't really have an option on which way up they use the ipad in the controller due to the magnets in left side of the ipad, (portrate orientation, home button on the bottom). So we have to use the ipad with the home button to the right so that those magnets are as far away as possible from the magnets in the controller for the joysticks. I've ever seen an incorrect N or drone orientation, and once GPS has settled down mapping and home point have been fine even when using my mobile as a hot spot as the ipad is wireless only.
2017-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules