The Last Straw
1428 10 2017-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Travelersworldu
lvl.1

Taiwan

I have had my mavic for about a month now and it has really let me down. I just returned from Vietnam to discover that all of my video is unusable due to extreme oversharpening. While flying in vietnam i adjusted the settings to +1 for sharpness and the image looked pretty good through my phone while flying and the when the videos saved to my phone were played back after flying. However the actual video saved to the sd card is extremely sharp and full of moirre. How can you adjust the settings to get a good image if the image you see flying isn't what is recorded?
2017-2-11
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can probably still get something worthwhile by reducing sharpness while editing.
You might find it depends a lot on the screen you are viewing from, see how it looks on a tablet/laptop/TV if possible.
2017-2-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You are the photographer, you can't just blame your tools, I'm sure you can sort something in post for this..
2017-2-11
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

That's one of the limitations of using a smaller device like a phone for FPV: what looks ok on a relatively tiny screen may look bad on a larger one such as a computer monitor -- and you don't realize your mistake until it's too late. More than once when my Mavic was new I recorded badly-focused video because I kept forgetting to "tap-to-focus".
2017-2-11
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Ouch, best make some flight bookings and turn "sharpness" to -1
2017-2-11
Use props
Travelersworldu
lvl.1

Taiwan

Yeah it has been frustrating but when I get it right its quite nice. I didn't mean to lay all the blame on the mavic, it's just frustrating because the highlight of the mavic is its small size and portability. This is why I bought it. But wanting to keep it small means that I'm not traveling with a computer or any large screen to view the footage.( I assume most travelers are not either) So it worries because I can't know for sure if I got the shot until I return home which is too late.
2017-2-12
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

I'd thought in general, a photographer/videographer will test and trial their tools setting and find the most appropriate configuration, before performing their shots.
Kinda misleading post to put blame on the tool... and when you get it right it's quite nice... so clearly it's a user issue...

Better to have a discussion on filter lens, best settings for what conditions, etc... rather than pulling some last straw buddy.
2017-2-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Travelersworldu Posted at 2017-2-12 20:49
Yeah it has been frustrating but when I get it right its quite nice. I didn't mean to lay all the blame on the mavic, it's just frustrating because the highlight of the mavic is its small size and portability. This is why I bought it. But wanting to keep it small means that I'm not traveling with a computer or any large screen to view the footage.( I assume most travelers are not either) So it worries because I can't know for sure if I got the shot until I return home which is too late.

"I'm not traveling with a computer or any large screen to view the footage.( I assume most travelers are not either)"

I think you're probably right about that. After a few disappointing experiences somewhat like yours, I bought an iPad Mini 4, which provides a much better FPV experience than an iPhone, including giving me a better idea of how video recordings will turn out. And it's still small enough to easily fit within even a very compact backpack.
2017-2-13
Use props
the.little.elep
lvl.1
Canada

Hey - off topic for this thread but I noticed you just got back from Vietnam with a Mavic. I am heading to Vietnam in October and want to bring my Mavic along but am finding conflicting information about the legality and how easy it is to get past customs. What was your experience?
2017-5-15
Use props
Skold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 239170 ft
United States

Travelersworldu Posted at 2017-2-12 20:49

So it isn't really the last straw then?  
2017-5-15
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Skold Posted at 2017-5-15 08:29
So it isn't really the last straw then?

lol
2017-5-15