Well, I Had Hoped it Would NOT be Inevitable!!
123Next >
7266 119 2017-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tvl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197779 ft
United States

Thanks Aardvark:  Sorry to hear about your crash, I can't see anything to indicate 'pilot error' in the records you posted. DJI should be able to analyse the file you sent them and perhaps give a reason.

Again, and I have stated this more than once, I honestly don't feel I contributed to the power off failure. If I did cause the failure and it is proven with concrete evidence, then so be it! But, if DJI happens to suggest operator error without providing evidence, I will be very, very, very upset.

Just like others here on this site, I have spent quite a bit of cash for the craft and accessories. And from that point on, I treated the craft with respect and tried my very best to operate it accordingly so that I would not encounter a mishap. So when the incident occurred, I was frustrated at myself, for the loss in investment and/or the expenses that may be incurred. And lastly, I'm wondering if I will ever have confidence in this or another unit again.  I could go on, but you get the thought process!
2017-2-12
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

tvl Posted at 2017-2-12 08:36
Thanks Aardvark:  Sorry to hear about your crash, I can't see anything to indicate 'pilot error' in the records you posted. DJI should be able to analyse the file you sent them and perhaps give a reason.

Again, and I have stated this more than once, but I honestly don't feel I contributed to the power off failure. If I did cause the failure and it is proven with concrete evidence, then so be it! But, if DJI happens to suggest operator error without providing evidence, I will be very, very, very upset.

Well the only thing to do is to send your logs to DJI so they can analyze what happened. No matter what we think here only DJI will give you an answer.

They will most likely ask for you to ship your drone to get serviced.
2017-2-12
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

You didn't answer my questions from post #33 & #34:

1. Was it very windy near the building so it may have been caught by an updraft?
2. Did it appear to be having any difficulty coming down?"

I still think its altitude measurement must have failed, so another question:
3. Was it damp/misty enough to affect the barometer?
2017-2-12
Use props
s0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

Moving on (quickly!) beyond my misinterpretation of the home point setting in the log, I do still wonder whether an updraft tricked it into thinking it had landed.

You had the throttle down yet at 2m 52.0s it was stationery in the air (if we can believe the sensors) with velocityZ at zero.

Thereafter, with the throttle still down, VelocityZ remained very low, touching a high of 0.5 at 2min 52.3s, then every reading after that for the next two seconds was 0.3 or below.

i.e. the throttle was down, and the vertical speed was 0.3 or below for a full 2s, so it thought it had landed and cut off the engines.

2017-2-12
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

s0 Posted at 2017-2-12 09:10
Moving on (quickly!) beyond my misinterpretation of the home point setting in the log, I do still wonder whether an updraft tricked it into thinking it had landed.

You had the throttle down yet at 2m 52.0s it was stationery in the air (if we can believe the sensors) with velocityZ at zero.

Looking at the Google satellite image,  I think an updraft is highly unlikely, looks more like the barometer got blocked and the increasing air pressure didn't get into it fast enough.

As for your "misinterpretation", making mistakes is how we learn, don't worry about it, if you don't share ideas then the good ones get missed!
2017-2-12
Use props
Delurium
lvl.2

Norway

tvl Posted at 2017-2-12 03:49
Well, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I checked the battery before flight and it was snug & locked in position. That was the first thing I checked when I picked up the unit after it hit the ground and once again I found the battery was snug and locked in position. So, I'm assuming the battery can  be ruled out unless there was another not so obvious battery issue.

And, as mentioned in my first post, after I cleaned up the unit and replaced the props, I flew the craft for a very short while up to an altitude of about 15 feet. Naturally, I had some errors and the camera was severely damaged, but it did fly ................. and that I do not understand! Earlier I had lost power and the craft fell to the ground and now it flies again?????  This makes no sense as I would not have expected it to do anything. Puzzling!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your problem

But on the other hand; I would remove the logs or at least the links to the logs, as you reveal exactly where you live in them and you probably dont want that information being too public as you never know what type of people could use the information against you.

Good luck with DJI in getting clarification on what happened.
2017-2-12
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
United States

s0 Posted at 2017-2-12 09:10
i.e. the throttle was down, and the vertical speed was 0.3 or below for a full 2s, so it thought it had landed and cut off the engines.

Question:  If your theory is correct and it can be proven, what would that indicate? Meaning, would this be attributed to operator error OR equipment failure OR neither? Worded another way, would this mean there would be no factory coverage?
2017-2-12
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
United States

Sorry Nigel, I somehow missed that:

1. Was it very windy near the building so it may have been caught by an updraft?
A- winds that day were 10 to 15 MPH
B- The building is only a 1 story structure and the craft was well above the top when power was lost

2. Did it appear to be having any difficulty coming down?"
A- Not that I could tell

I still think its altitude measurement must have failed, so another question:
3. Was it damp/misty enough to affect the barometer?
A- Clear day, lots of sun shine, dry
2017-2-12
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Interesting thought that if the drone was indicating a negative altitude, or one lower than take-off, would holding the left stick down  for a few seconds shut off the motors if it thought it was at altitude for landing?   In that case, I'd blame it on the drone or GO and not operator error.

DJI will have final say, and no one may ever know why either.
2017-2-12
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-2-12 13:00
Interesting thought that if the drone was indicating a negative altitude, or one lower than take-off, would holding the left stick down  for a few seconds shut off the motors if it thought it was at altitude for landing?   In that case, I'd blame it on the drone or GO and not operator error.

An interesting thought on the negative altitude, but the motors won't shut down if negative. You can take off from the top of a hill and quite happily drop several hundred (or thousands) of feet below the take off point and the motors will never shut down because of that.

2017-2-12
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
United States

It has been stated:   DJI will have final say, and no one may ever know why either.

So, please help set my mind at ease. IF it can't be determined if it was neither operator error OR equipment failure, who will have to pay to have the craft repaired?  Will DJI stand behind the unit at that point or not????
2017-2-12
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
United States

RE: Well, I Had Hoped it would not be Inevitable!!

tvl Posted at 2017-2-12 13:23
It has been stated:   DJI will have final say, and no one may ever know why either.

So, please help set my mind at ease. IF it can't be determined if it was neither operator error OR equipment failure, who will have to pay to have the craft repaired?  Will DJI stand behind the unit at that point or not????

2017-2-12
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Start the ticket. send it in and keep us posted. If they say pilot error than ask for proof of the analysis.
2017-2-12
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

If there is evidence of a fault in the aircraft then they will replace it, if there is no evidence then they will charge for a repair.

They can see more in the logs than us, I'm fairly sure that they will replace it, especially if you have video taken when it shut off and was falling.  I imagine they can see GPS height so would be able to see that the barometer wasn't working.  Also being a nearly new aircraft will help, some of them do fail in the first few flights, if they survive a few flights then they are normally pretty reliable so would then need some decent evidence to accept an aircraft fault.

If not then it is worth having it repaired, although it may not be exactly cheap based on your description.
2017-2-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-2-12 13:00

"if the drone was indicating a negative altitude, or one lower than take-off, would holding the left stick down  for a few seconds shut off the motors if it thought it was at altitude for landing?"

There is no "altitude for landing".  (why would there be?)
The recorded home point is only a lat/long reference with no altitude recorded.
The Phantom is just like a real plane in that it doesn't have to land exactly where it was launched.
You can land somewhere higher or lower than home point.
2017-2-12
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
United States

Nigel stated:  "I'm fairly sure that they will replace it, especially if you have video taken when it shut off and was falling"

I do hope you are correct in saying DJI may replace it. One last time, because I know everyone doesn't want things repeated over & over, but what if DJI can find NO CAUSE for the occurrence? Will DJI step up to the plate and take responsibility with lack of evidence one way or the other? That is my biggest concern because my gut instinct points in this direction. However, I will send it in as soon as I get an RMA number and other information!

Oh, by the way, there is no video! Recall from my  first post, the recording was stopped by me just before I began the descent. And naturally, there would be no video evidence of the fall because once power was lost, nothing operates without battery power!

Thanks to all for your responses and help! I'm still sick on the stomach from all of this because I thought my being careful/cautious each and every flight was going to prevent any incidents.
2017-2-12
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-12 14:08
"if the drone was indicating a negative altitude, or one lower than take-off, would holding the left stick down  for a few seconds shut off the motors if it thought it was at altitude for landing?"

There is no "altitude for landing".  (why would there be?)

I'll try and clarify it.

Example: If you are flying at 50 feet, and GO tells you that the drone is zero feet in altitude (Mine sometimes shows -6 feet when it's 30 feet up.), could the software or firmware 'think' you are at a landing altitude's stating point (Or home point.) of zero feet?  If GO says zero feet, could holding down the stick for several seconds cause the motors to shut off if the drone thinks it is on or close to the ground from what GO is reporting, albeit GO showing wrong altitude as it is still in flight?

I wouldn't think so as VPS or sonar may be the trigger for landing shutdowns with stick down to shut off, but the software is so flaky at times in reporting what is really happening with the drone so who knows.
2017-2-12
Use props
CCrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

Still haven't seen a definitive answer if a gimbal guard was installed. Looks like the response when asked was "I remove them before flight" which I don't think is a reference to a guard as that wouldn't be the expectation that it be removed. That would explain the failure.
2017-2-12
Use props
PaulL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23898 ft
United States

CCrew Posted at 2017-2-12 17:14
Still haven't seen a definitive answer if a gimbal guard was installed. Looks like the response when asked was "I remove them before flight" which I don't think is a reference to a guard as that wouldn't be the expectation that it be removed. That would explain the failure.

He mentioned that he had been shooting video, I would guess that if the guard was on, the video would not have looked very good. Pretty sure the guard was off.
2017-2-12
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

I flew once with the PolarPro clip-on guard still attached and all I had to show for it was a black screen on the iPad Air 2 and why I called it home.  Then saw it on the camera, but it didn't crash and burn.  Surprised it didn't throw up a gimbal overload or error either.
2017-2-12
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-2-12 15:52
I'll try and clarify it.

Example: If you are flying at 50 feet, and GO tells you that the drone is zero feet in altitude (Mine sometimes shows -6 feet when it's 30 feet up.), could the software or firmware 'think' you are at a landing altitude's stating point (Or home point.) of zero feet?  If GO says zero feet, could holding down the stick for several seconds cause the motors to shut off if the drone thinks it is on or close to the ground from what GO is reporting, albeit GO showing wrong altitude as it is still in flight?

Left stick down will only shut off the motors if the aircraft is stationary for 3 seconds. Irrespective of what height DJI Go or VPS reports.
2017-2-12
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
United States

CCrew Posted at 2017-2-12 17:14

Well, my exact remark earlier was:   "Nope, I always remove the guards. I have a warning label attached to them to remind me. However, I have never forgotten to remove either piece before flight!

Anyway, to be more precise: Yes, both guards had been removed before powering up and taking off!

Question for you or others:   I must be missing something! How would leaving a gimbal guard in place contribute to the drone losing power?  I can see that the guard would hinder camera movement and would obviously put undue strain on the gimbal assembly, but I can't see how this would cause a power failure in mid flight!

But again, the guards were removed. I always remove them before applying power to the craft.
2017-2-12
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Send it to DJI they will give you a service quote.  Really the bet thing you can do is contact DJI now.
Posters can only give you an idea based on the information you provided.

DJI is not some horrible monster.  Let them determine what happened and they will give you their decision and help you get back to flying again.
2017-2-12
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tvl Posted at 2017-2-12 17:50
Well, my exact remark earlier was:   "Nope, I always remove the guards. I have a warning label attached to them to remind me. However, I have never forgotten to remove either piece before flight!

Anyway, to be more precise: Yes, both guards had been removed before powering up and taking off!

I think the other person was referring to third party gimbal guards that can be fitted to the landing gear to help protect the gimbal and camera in case of a hard landing. Not the standard gimbal protector that clips onto the skids and stops camera from moving in transit.
2017-2-12
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-2-12 06:07
I think maybe what is needed is for DJI to check the accelerometers as the motors come to a stop and if they show a 1G downwards acceleration then restart them immediately!  Needs to be done quickly and maybe only at half power until the throttle is pushed up, otherwise hand catching would become dangerous, but an issue with a single barometric sensor shouldn't cause the aircraft to fall out of the sky at high speed.  Also maybe a mid air CSC would be safer for everything below and the aircraft if it only removed half the power while falling.

Of course power off is probably a lot more complex than just trusting a single sensor so maybe this isn't valid.

power cutoff makes common sense only if drone is landed. however, power cutoff may be considered while drone is airborne if the drone is about to damage itself (catch around a rope) or damage around ( a dog or a bird runs to catch it, say in the park)
is impossible to say where the land is. altitude (sea level) can be obtained from gps and baro, but only vps can actually say the real altitude from whatever's underneath (a roof, ground, a vineyard)
i had a bad occurrence where i flew the drone low along water edge until i realized there's people sitting on a log. i left controls at neutral and the drone slowed down but it seemed to me it drifted towards people. i tried to compensate and managed to hit the log. i could have tried to lift or other things, but to me that is the occurrence where airborne shutdown makes sense. in conclusion, an airborne shutdown is also needed. dedicated shutdown is required to prevent confusion when shutdown is required.
2017-2-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-2-12 15:52
I'll try and clarify it.

"could the software or firmware 'think' you are at a landing altitude's stating point (Or home point.) of zero feet? "

There is no altitude for landing.
You can land anywhere, higher or lower than the launch point.
Being at the same altitude as the launch point means nothing.
Motor shut off with landing has no link to altitude at all and doesn't depend on VPS either.
It only happens when the IMU detects that the Phantom has been stable and stationary for three seconds while the left stick has been held down.
2017-2-12
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

tvl Posted at 2017-2-12 15:48
Nigel stated:  "I'm fairly sure that they will replace it, especially if you have video taken when it shut off and was falling"

I do hope you are correct in saying DJI may replace it. One last time, because I know everyone doesn't want things repeated over & over, but what if DJI can find NO CAUSE for the occurrence? Will DJI step up to the plate and take responsibility with lack of evidence one way or the other? That is my biggest concern because my gut instinct points in this direction. However, I will send it in as soon as I get an RMA number and other information!

You may still have live video of the fall in the video cache on your tablet?  Find the files in the cache and play them with a video player.  If it shut down the motors intentionally then although the log stops the live video would keep going, live video would only stop mid air if it lost power.

Warrantee will only work if it can be shown to be an aircraft fault.  If there is no proof then you will have to pay for the repair.  The aircraft logs do contain a lot of data though, not all of which we can see, you may need to ask them to do a proper investigation but if it really was an aircraft fault then it is likely they will replace it.
2017-2-13
Use props
warior20
lvl.1

New Zealand

I had exactly the same issue...I know mine wasn't a csc created by me. And lucky I had video footage been taken of me as the operator on this inaugural flight. However dji say was a csc..585.00 nz dollars repair. Sent 23rd December 2016...online repair say now on its way back to nz x China.

Craft p4 2800.00 here..

No confidence in flying it on return,  been using a xstreem drone ..284.00 in nz not one issue, crash, or error at all.

Not happy as I believe 100% it was not operator error. My p4 was only 6 mins old..

2017-2-13
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
United States

Nigel stated:   Warrantee will only work if it can be shown to be an aircraft fault

Yes, I will be contacting DJI today. But, this is what bothers me. Warranty will cover the expense ONLY if it can be shown to be an aircraft fault. And, based on the flight logs and other responses here, I now feel 100% confident  it wasn't operator error and as a couple others have stated, "we may never know the real cause" ......................... therefore, that makes me responsible for repairs? That simply isn't fair nor reasonable!!!!

Warior20 Stated:  "I had exactly the same issue...I know mine wasn't a csc created by me  -  However dji say was a csc..585.00 nz dollars repair.   -  Not happy as I believe 100% it was not operator error. My p4 was only 6 mins old"

And yet here is another bad omen! I'm telling you folks, I have a bad gut feeling about this thing. Warior20's experience is a shame, unless it really was a CSC error, which he has stated he 100% believes it was not operator error. Now, on the other hand, based on flight records and the DJI Go app playback, we KNOW my incident wasn't the cause of CSC error! And, no one else can see any other reason for the power failure.

So, what am I worried about:

1- DJI can honestly find no real reason for the power failure.  Well, guess what, it appears I will have to bear the cost of the expensive repair!

2- DJI wants to blame it on CSC error and we all know that it was NOT a CSC error.  Well, guess what, I will have to bear the cost of the expensive repair!

3- I don't know all of the facts associated with Warior20's experience. But, if he is 100% correct in believing OR knowing it wasn't a CSC error, then it would appear DJI likes to take the easy way out!

My feeling, and I have a strong one regarding this incident, is if DJI can find no real cause for the incident, they should bear the cost. Why, you may ask? Well, these drones are evolving and have not yet been perfected. Therefore, they don't really know all of the true weak points of the craft as of yet. My incident, Warior20's incident, and possibly many others, may be because of a design flaw or glitch. And then DJI will want to say, Sorry, no cause found (or blame it on CSC) the repair expense is your responsibility!

And before I get bashed ............. this may look like a trashing of DJI and I'm certainly treading on thin ice here, but please try to understand my thought process, which is as follows:    Reading over many other post, I have seen that there are many disgruntled folks when it comes to DJI's customer service, warranty, etc. Based on those comments, is why I have little confidence in the process at this early stage. Hopefully, I will be able to write back at a later date and give much more positive thoughts about what really did occur. But, it honestly doesn't look good for me and my incident at the moment. Now, to contact DJI and begin the process!

PS:  Warior20 - If I end up having to pay for this expense, I will be through with drone flying. I too will not be 100% confident the craft can be trusted. And, I certainly won't have deep enough pockets to maintain this type hobby!
2017-2-13
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

tvl Posted at 2017-2-13 07:41
Nigel stated:   Warrantee will only work if it can be shown to be an aircraft fault

Yes, I will be contacting DJI today. But, this is what bothers me. Warranty will cover the expense ONLY if it can be shown to be an aircraft fault. And, based on the flight logs and other responses here, I now feel 100% confident  it wasn't operator error and as a couple others have stated, "we may never know the real cause" ......................... therefore, that makes me responsible for repairs? That simply isn't fair nor reasonable!!!!

They (DJI) are not going to assume CSC, they will either have proof of it in the AC log file or they won't. If somehow the battery lost power (or the AC lost power) the log will likely just stop with no explanation unless they have a small amount of power onboard independent of the battery that can keep the computer running for a few seconds (that sounds like a good idea, they should copy it). In that case who knows how they will rule.
2017-2-13
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
United States

UPDATE:

OK, I want to give a quick update after my initial call to the DJI Service Center in California. And, I promise to give other updates as I receive information!

1- The Technical Support agent I spoke with was as nice & courteous as they come. Easy to speak with and if he didn't know the answer to a question, he put me on hold to ask someone else. I liked that!!!

2- The agent assured me that if DJI could find no reason for the incident, DJI would pay to have the unit repaired/replaced.  They generally just send a refurbished unit to expedite matters. Since my unit was so new, I don't yet know how I feel about that! But, it does appear you have no choice in the matter.

3-I did inform the agent that the flight records indicate it wasn't a CSC error. I asked if he knew of other operator errors that could have attributed? He immediately mentioned wind. I'm thinking to myself .............. oh no! The winds that day were 10 to 15 MPH which is normal for this time of year. Anyway, if wind is a contributing factor, then it will be considered operator error. But, he felt that 10 to 15 MPH was OK.

So, I have another question: I see where individuals have taken great looking videos near beaches, cliffs, mountains and other areas where the winds are much greater than 10 to 15 MPH. Also, I have not seen any documentation warning about operating in windy conditions or giving a warning of operating with winds greater than "X" amount. Is it recommended these craft be flown in near calm conditions? If so, I sure don't need one for my area. 10 to 15 MPH is sorta the norm her several months of the year!
2017-2-13
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-2-13 07:50
They (DJI) are not going to assume CSC, they will either have proof of it in the AC log file or they won't. If somehow the battery lost power (or the AC lost power) the log will likely just stop with no explanation unless they have a small amount of power onboard independent of the battery that can keep the computer running for a few seconds (that sounds like a good idea, they should copy it). In that case who knows how they will rule.

A log should always show that it landed safely, or that it hit something and didn't land safely, if the log just stops then it is an aircraft fault probably loss of power.

In this case I think the only worry is that the log may show it landing safely with no evidence of it still being 50ft up when it thought it had landed.  However the whole decent looks wrong to me so I expect they will see enough to be confident of an aircraft fault.

Only way to find out is to send it in for analysis, then you can decide what to do next.  In most cases I have looked at DJI has been fair.  Warior20's case is unfortunately one where the evidence didn't match the pilot's story, that doesn't happen very often, even less often when the pilot is correct.
2017-2-13
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

I believe they can extract the wind speed data somehow with their software, but dunno.  I know some autonomous flight software doesn't like high wind speeds and recommends staying under 10-15 MPH too.  I've flown in winds where my ground wind speed meter shows 10 MPH, but when I flip it into ATTI mode for P mode the thing gets blown sideways so it must be really bad up there.

Wonder how the thing determines how it is on the ground to know "stick down" is to shut off the motors?  If one walks underneath it wearing maybe dark clothing to hand catch it would it confuse the sensors under it to think the ground was close and any stick down could shut off the motors while it's still in the air?  Otherwise the kwad may need some mechanical switch on the feet to tell it is on terra firma again.

Good luck with the repair process.
2017-2-13
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

tvl Posted at 2017-2-13 08:46
UPDATE:

OK, I want to give a quick update after my initial call to the DJI Service Center in California. And, I promise to give other updates as I receive information!

I wouldn't take off with more than 20mph, as you go higher the wind always increases and the aircraft will struggle if the wind is above 30mph, may take a long time to return home.  If the wind is above it's maximum speed of 46mph then it will be blown away and to get 46mph at 400ft you may only have 20mph on the ground, depending on weather and location.

There is no indication of excessive wind in the log - don't worry.
2017-2-13
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-2-13 09:05
I believe they can extract the wind speed data somehow with their software, but dunno.  I know some autonomous flight software doesn't like high wind speeds and recommends staying under 10-15 MPH too.  I've flown in winds where my ground wind speed meter shows 10 MPH, but when I flip it into ATTI mode for P mode the thing gets blown sideways so it must be really bad up there.

Wonder how the thing determines how it is on the ground to know "stick down" is to shut off the motors?  If one walks underneath it wearing maybe dark clothing to hand catch it would it confuse the sensors under it to think the ground was close and any stick down could shut off the motors while it's still in the air?  Otherwise the kwad may need some mechanical switch on the feet to tell it is on terra firma again.

As has been discussed many times in many threads, the way the aircraft knows it has landed is when the stick is down, and therefore the craft is descending, and when it is no longer moving based on the onboard sensors, after three seconds it shuts the motors off.  It does not used the vps, the onboard camera, or altitude readings to determine landing.
2017-2-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Please provide us your case number, we'll look into it and get back to you, thanks.
2017-2-13
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia,

I'm not sure there is much you can do for me currently.  I just got in touch with support earlier today and I'm just now going through the documentation that was sent via e-mail to get the aircraft returned for processing. Hopefully, I will get it shipped Tuesday, February 14th. However, if you still want the case number, here is the one that was provided:   
CAS-451688-L8W3J0

But, thanks so very much for your time!
2017-2-13
Use props
warior20
lvl.1

New Zealand

In my case the s7 application froze whilst using dgigo. So my flight log stops 2 min b4 crash. Craft wouldn't respond hit rth craft flipped dropped too ground. Although I have video footage of me on controller confirming only rth was pushed, craft was analysed as a ctc. On my original post I had excellent support advise etc from other forum members.  I just have too suck it up paid price, get craft returned, and sell it as I don't trust it at all.
2017-2-14
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
United States

***** UPDATE ***** UPDATE *****

My unfortunate incident of Feb. 11th, has been on my mind a LOT lately. Like most folks, it's just the short amount of pleasure derived from such a large expenditure that seems to continue gnawing at one.

Anyway, I have a little more information that may OR may not prove to be important. But, first let me say something that may aid in my belief. At the age of 26, I earned my private pilots license and flew for many years and I naturally accumulated some skills from the hobby. Although I still possess a license, I haven't been up as pilot in command for almost 10 years. I'm now about to turn 65 years old and I will admit my depth perception probably isn't as sharp as it once was, but I would still like to think it is good! Having stated that, let me share the following:

My initial post stated I felt the craft lost power at approximately 50 feet above ground. I have been out in the back yard (the crash site) several times in the past few days and have viewed nearby trees and their true height in reference to the nearby surroundings. In doing so, I have been attempting to recreate what occurred that day and at what altitude. My flight logs indicate the craft lost power at an altitude of 164 feet above ground. After much consideration, I feel very confident this is NOT the height the craft was when I witnessed the craft shutting down. I do think I was incorrect in stating it was 50 feet above ground when the incident occurred. HOWEVER, I do not feel the craft was any higher than 100 feet when all power was lost. I now believe in my heart the craft was somewhere between 70 and 100 feet when all power was lost. The flight logs indicate the craft was at 164 feet  ........ roughly a 75 foot discrepancy!

For those who know how to better interpret DJI's flight logs, does this indicate or help explain anything at all regarding my incident? I really need to understand what occurred that day and it is my understanding from some post that I may never know the real reason .................. which is disappointing!
2017-2-21
Use props
fansdf385f9e
lvl.1

United States

One thing that is still nagging me is your statement that the battery was off when you went to retrieve it.
I do NOT believe ANY stick combination will turn the battery off... no way, no how!
The battery power is performed manually by YOU, and has to be pressed twice to toggle on or off.

Since you are not 100 feet tall, I don't see how it could be pilot OR operator error!
The best of luck for you!
2017-2-21
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules