Not a good start :(
1629 18 2017-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jyavenard
lvl.2

France

Waited with impatience for the battery to fully charged.

Decided to simply take off, hover a bit to play with the camera and land

All this indoor, about 3m away from the nearest obstacle: a TV

All default settings, Disabled beginner mode so it could take off without GPS signal.

Get to 50cm altitude. Make the camera go up and down and try to land.
Nothing happen. I get the message that there's an obstacle and that landing isn't possible.

Make the drone rotate a tiny bit. Try to land, still nothing.

At that point the mavic start drifting backward slowly (log shows between .3 and .5m/s)

And bang the TV.

Looking at the flight recorders it shows that it stayed in atti mode during take off and for about 3s. The switch to GPS mode stay that way while I'm trying to land.
And then switch to opti for about 20s before hitting the TV.

Drone was totally unresponsive during my attempt to land or go forward.

Morale to the story: the propellers are much harder than the TV screen!
Though the TV edge managed to shave a good 1mm from the rear arm.

So much for flying indoor safely which is what I liked over my Phantom 3.

I'm still baffled on why I couldn't land

JY
Now looking for two new propellers.
2017-2-11
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Aww not a good start at all. Hope things improve from here!

I have flown a few times indoors without issue but it is a risky procedure.
A signal loss triggering a RTH is my main concern.

I also had the proximity warnings from items in house, but i rotated to avoid and land.
Not sure if Forward OA will over-ride landing though, maybe you need to turn off stuff like OA and RTH etc

Hope your in the air soon.
2017-2-11
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've seen a couple people say this same thing...and it also happened to me...fortunately I didn't hit anything and finally got it to land.....I have a therory...but it's only that...I think if you' take off indoors and then it picks up a gps signal, say 2 or even 3 Sats it gets confused....I think it needs 4 Sats but maybe this happens with less.....I fought the controls and was able to land when I flipped over to Sport mode....I don't know if it was luck or the change in modes unfroze it ...can't say for sure but if it happens again it could be something to try before hitting something else. You do have to enable multi modes in the menu so this action would work in the future...anyway please nobody flame me if it doesn't work for you...I just know it worked one time for me. I think it also was discussed on the DJI Mavic owners group on Facebook too.
2017-2-11
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Sounds like the Mavic didn't like the landing area -- when all the safety systems are enabled, it'll try to avoid running into something, or landing on a surface it deems to be unsafe. If there's not enough light and/or contrast in the floor, the VPS system won't work properly, and if the floor is carpeted, I bet the ultrasonic sensors can't do their job right, either.

BTW, you should have received an extra pair of props, if you didn't see them they may have slipped behind the packing materials during shipping. Good luck!
2017-2-11
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for the mishap. The MP as other new P4 need color contrast, especially indoors, to land. Second you should always be ready to take over and fly in ATTI mode.
You mentioned you hade P3 then you should have been able to fly it. Third with the report of bad incident with flying indoors why people still want to fly indoors?   

2017-2-11
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

No..this isn't the problem...the Mavic just starts "drifting" and ignores ANY stick input...up, down, yaw..everything...you can't control it...like I said, I've seen it reported a few times and I experienced myself.
2017-2-11
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-11 20:29
Sorry for the mishap. The MP as other new P4 need color contrast, especially indoors, to land. Second you should always be ready to take over and fly in ATTI mode.
You mentioned you hade P3 then you should have been able to fly it. Third with the report of bad incident with flying indoors why people still want to fly indoors?

You can't switch into Atti mode with Mavic
2017-2-11
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-2-11 20:52
You can't switch into Atti mode with Mavic

I know, but it will me-mick the ATTI mode when it is drifting.
2017-2-11
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-11 20:55
I know, but it will me-mick the ATTI mode when it is drifting.

I wish it was that simple...but you don't have any control at all when this occurs...no stick input
2017-2-11
Use props
jyavenard
lvl.2

France

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-2-11 20:51
No..this isn't the problem...the Mavic just starts "drifting" and ignores ANY stick input...up, down, yaw..everything...you can't control it...like I said, I've seen it reported a few times and I experienced myself.

This is exactly the symptoms of what I experienced.

The controller was unresponsive, the mavic didn't react to any commands once it started drifting.

on the flight recorder you see me going down to land with no effect.

May try the tripod mode as recommended in various places... And disable all the "safety" measures.

I wonder who came up with the concept of having front sensors to avoid obstacles only to go backward blindly with no safety going backward.
2017-2-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

jyavenard Posted at 2017-2-12 00:09
This is exactly the symptoms of what I experienced.

The controller was unresponsive, the mavic didn't react to any commands once it started drifting.

Before you fly indoors, learn how to preform a csc..
2017-2-12
Use props
Sergey_B
lvl.1

Ukraine

It makes sense to have OA sensors even if they are only in front. Front sensors better then no any sensors.

Anyway OA sensors, safety features etc. are not related to the root problem:
>> The controller was unresponsive, the mavic didn't react to any commands once it started drifting.

There are a number of forum topics started for exactly the same non-responsible sticks case.
Mavic owners reported similar issues both indoor and outdoor and I don't remember any response from DJI team.

This makes me think that there is a critical bug in Mavic and DJI isn't able to fix them...
Because such cases are either a pilot error, then DJI shall clarify what the exact error is; either it is a Mavic bug, then why it isn't fixed yet?
2017-2-12
Use props
Sergey_B
lvl.1

Ukraine

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-12 02:41
Before you fly indoors, learn how to preform a csc..

This is the valid emergency solution if you see that your craft does not react to your RC inputs and it moving to a people direction etc.

But if you do a CSC then you will be not able to ask DJI to compensate you crash. Because your crash will be definitely caused by CSC, not by Mavic issue.
2017-2-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sergey_B Posted at 2017-2-12 02:51
This is the valid emergency solution if you see that your craft does not react to your RC inputs and it moving to a people direction etc.

But if you do a CSC then you will be not able to ask DJI to compensate you crash. Because your crash will be definitely caused by CSC, not by Mavic issue.

Is that a valid reason for not using it..
2017-2-12
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

Tough start indeed. . At least blades are cheap, and it will get better!  

Flying a brand new drone inside seems to often end badly for a lot of folks.  Whether it's an issue with mode switching itself or simply the change in modes taking people by surprise seems a bit unclear yet.  Perhaps a mix of both? regardless, there have been enough owner reports of erratic behavior or non-responsive sticks associated with a flight mode change that the only time I fly inside is to test the IMU calibration and then only in my basement where I know I will not get a GPS signal and I make certain vision positioning off. In this mode it will drift and float, but no surprises or sudden changes in behavior that way.
2017-2-12
Use props
phasmatis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 225991 ft
United Kingdom

Not sure why no one else here hasn't said this already but you really shouldn't be flying inside.
2017-2-12
Use props
Nitroman28
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77841 ft
United States

Should have just killed the motors.
2017-2-12
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-2-11 21:32
I wish it was that simple...but you don't have any control at all when this occurs...no stick input

Dennis, It happened to me couple of times and I was able to guide left, right.

With any controller, I always have my fingers on the stick ready to jump in.
2017-2-12
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

phasmatis Posted at 2017-2-12 05:32
Not sure why no one else here hasn't said this already but you really shouldn't be flying inside.

I mentioned it above in #5.
2017-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules