Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CSC very dangerous
2720 16 2017-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aerialfreak
lvl.1

Finland

Crashed my drone brand new Phantom 3 4k today. I was maneuvering and learning to fly, and trained pans and circulating around trees etc. Accidantally pushed both sticks diagonally inwards down, and my drone fell from 10-20 meters to the ice.

I am very disappointed having this kind of special combos that can kill your drone. I know it's in the Manual, but this CAN HAPPEN ACCIDENTALLY. This a major design flaw to me. Luckily no one was physically hurt.

Wouldn't it be more wise to have separate button under a transparent cover to make emergency shutdown?

Lost 4 propellers, 2 propeller shields, body, gimball stuck, landing gear. At least.

Does DJI have repair program for cases like this? This will be the first and last DJI of mine if this kind of issues are not solved.
2017-2-12
Use props
Steve-76
Second Officer

United States

they will say user error
2017-2-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If you got the sticks into that mode, then you deserve to crash. It means you were just wildy beating the sticks without any thought as to what could happen. And no, DJI will not cover you for what amounts to stupidity.
2017-2-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sorry about that, you must be gutted and heart wrenched.

Much like I felt only moments ago, learning that talented singer Al Jarreau passed away today, and on a Grammy Sunday...

That stick action works great on a 3D heli.... But on the Phantom 3 family of drones. Not so much...

Try it on the flight Sim... Whenever you replace that broken drone. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-12
Use props
Spacetrakker
Captain
Flight distance : 115299 ft
Australia

If you had read the manual thoroughly you would have understood the consequence of the "CSC command.  For normal flying, the Joysticks should NEVER be in the position of the CSC command.

It appears that you were blindly moving the sticks into random position combinations in an "out of control" fashion rather than being "in control" of the drone.

Expensive mistake, but extra time reading the manual and using the flight simulator to build expertise could have avoided this incident.  

DJI is not responsible for your incompetence !  
2017-2-12
Use props
endotherm
Captain
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

You posted in the Adv/Pro forum, a P34k is more related to the Standard.  I say this because the current firmware 1.10 is for the Adv/Pro.  I don't know what firmware you use.  If you were to perform a CSC with an Adv/Pro running the latest firmware, it would take 3 seconds with the sticks in this position before the motors shut down.  That may have been enough time for you to avoid crashing due to your unfortunate stick combo.  I don't know if the latest P34K firmware has this change.

I would agree with others here that accidentally performing that maneuver in flight would be incredibly stupid.  You would have been deliberately trying to descend at maximum rate whilst moving backwards at maximum rate, while rotating right at maximum, and crabbing left at maximum speed.  A totally ridiculous maneuver combination.

This would be like complaining that every other aircraft out there dangerously allows you to push the joystick fully forward. Performing that maneuver in flight will result in a nose-dive into the ground and crashing every time.  The pilot has to take some responsibility for their movements!
2017-2-12
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I was learning to fly, for months I only operated one stick at a time until I became fully confidant in myself and my P3P. After 3 or 4 months I started using combo stick movements flying my drone very cautiously. Now I am teaching someone to fly using this method. As a beginner, why do you feel the need to take the sticks to their limits?
2017-2-13
Use props
SimonH78
Captain
Flight distance : 865407 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Moving the sticks like this when in flight is not whats needed at all to fly and if you do you deserve to damage it - if you updated to the latest version FW its now only possible to do a csc by holding the csc position for 3secs!! -
2017-2-13
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

OK I think he gets it.

Sorry dude. It sucks to crash but if you learn something, then it is not completely bad (maybe only 98% bad).
2017-2-13
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

I've had the same thought about a protected switch for Emergency Kill but I can see a downside, eventually something will happen and the protecting cover will break off, then you will have an unprotected switch for killing the motors which could lead to many more accidental crashes. But i am sure there is a way the implement it, maybe the 3 or 4 sec delay would be enough?
2017-2-13
Use props
m1shootr
First Officer
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-12 16:05
If you got the sticks into that mode, then you deserve to crash. It means you were just wildy beating the sticks without any thought as to what could happen. And no, DJI will not cover you for what amounts to stupidity.

I agree that the op made a mistake but let's not be so harsh in handing out criticisms. Adjectives like "stupidity" and "incompetence" do not help ones'  psyche, especially after losing a several hundred dollar drone. I think the objective of this forum is to encourage others to learn and contribute. Harsh criticism will only alienate people.
2017-2-13
Use props
Kirk2579
First Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Steve-76 Posted at 2017-2-12 15:53
they will say user error

it IS user error!
2017-2-13
Use props
RSW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

You need to hold the sticks in that position for 3 seconds before the motors shut down and there is no legitimate maneuver that would require the sticks to be in that position. In other words, it's really hard to do that accidentally. Sorry about your loss but cutting the engines with a CSC while in flight is not a problem for thousands of pilots.
2017-2-13
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.2

United States

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.  Although is definitely appears to be user error, it still sucks, I'm sure.
2017-2-13
Use props
Aerialfreak
lvl.1

Finland

I read the manual before starting using. But never thought CSC would really happen. I tried to train maneuver to decend from top of high tree trying to keep cam pointing the tree all the way and panned back and left at same time. Didn't work that well apparently. I've used some copters and quads before.  DJI is quite nice to fly and used it almost a week already. Maneuverability and stability are great so I think I just take it to the next level and got a little bit carried away. Well, that next level was in the ice.
2017-2-13
Use props
Aerialfreak
lvl.1

Finland

drone spin.png
This was what I did last week successfully. But this time didn't work...
2017-2-13
Use props
method007
First Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
United States

Sorry man!  It was user error though, I wouldn't blame DJI.  
2017-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules