Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Even over wifi infested neighborhoods
12Next >
2758 57 2017-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

I'm getting miles of range. Stock setup no mods

2017-2-12
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Yes, it's a great system, but I did notice that you apparently needed to ascend to almost 1,200 feet -- nearly three times what the FAA allows for safe flight -- to maintain your signal. I imagine the range is very good if you fly straight up too, but I've never tried it.
2017-2-12
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The issue here is self control the more people causing unnecessary flight problems and going into the news the more local and federal government will impose more restrictive laws and soon enough will be like Europe where you are NOT allowed to fly or you will only be allowed to fly for few meters around your backyard.

It is all about self regulations and common sense and NOT give the government any excuse to impose more control on our daily lives.
2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

You are assuming that flight is in the USA.  I don't believe FAA has jurisdiction outside of USA.

And even in USA, there are FAA GUIDELINES which are recommendations for 400ft for recreational RC flying. There are zero regulations or laws restricting height to 400 feet. If there are, please post the link
2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

To record screen on iOS:
https://youtu.be/Km2YoW01Mz4
2017-2-12
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-12 10:03
You are assuming that flight is in the USA.  I don't believe FAA has jurisdiction outside of USA.

And even in USA, there are FAA GUIDELINES which are recommendations for 400ft for recreational RC flying. There are zero regulations or laws restricting height to 400 feet. If there are, please post the link

"You are assuming that flight is in the USA.  I don't believe FAA has jurisdiction outside of USA."

I didn't assume anything, Einstein. You took off from Glen Allen High School in Glen Allen, Virginia, and I do believe the FAA has jurisdiction there.
2017-2-12
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Regardless if you are flying in the US or not, you have possible maned aircraft up that high.
With that said, you have bigger nerves then I do, I'd be afraid of it going down then possibly never recovering it again.  Yikes!!
Nice town/city tho.
2017-2-12
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-12 10:06
To record screen on iOS:

Here is the summary fo the FAA Rules.   

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf
2017-2-12
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Netherlands

Clip gone.
2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

The entire video/flight is still up.

2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-12 10:29
"You are assuming that flight is in the USA.  I don't believe FAA has jurisdiction outside of USA."

I didn't assume anything, Einstein. You took off from Glen Allen High School in Glen Allen, Virginia, and I do believe the FAA has jurisdiction there.

Link to the FAA Regulation/Law (not unenforceable GUIDELINE aka suggestion ) restricting recreational RC flights to 400feet altitude?

Again..I'd love to read it
2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

AirShou is the IOS screen recording app. The YouTube link posted above gives full details on how to get it and install it
2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-2-12 10:35
Regardless if you are flying in the US or not, you have possible maned aircraft up that high.
With that said, you have bigger nerves then I do, I'd be afraid of it going down then possibly never recovering it again.  Yikes!!
Nice town/city tho.

Thanks. I never fly my Mavic outside of the limits of the firmware of the Mavic.
2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

You are incorrect and are using alternative facts.
2017-2-12
Use props
fans2b75c050
lvl.2

United States

Wow. People like this is why the drone laws are getting tightened. But it has to when people do this. Wouldn't it  be great to hit a low flying aircraft? Not. !    YouTube is great. People self incriminate themselves. LOL.
2017-2-12
Use props
Highasakite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

To record screen on iOS:

Hi sir, there are no instructions on how to record screen on my ipad2. Can you please explain? Thank you! Ken.
2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

fans2b75c050 Posted at 2017-2-12 11:28
Wow. People like this is why the drone laws are getting tightened. But it has to when people do this. Wouldn't it  be great to hit a low flying aircraft? Not. !    YouTube is great. People self incriminate themselves. LOL.

Incrimination usually means self-violation of a formal law/regulation.

Which regulation/law are you referring to?

I'll wait for the link
2017-2-12
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-12 11:24
You are incorrect and are using alternative facts.

No, I'm not; your video shows that you took off from the grass strip just north of the student parking lot that's southwest of the main buildings and then crossed Staples Mill Road heading north. It's easy enough to see by comparing your video to what's shown in Google Maps.
2017-2-12
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-12 11:05
Link to the FAA Regulation/Law (not unenforceable GUIDELINE aka suggestion ) restricting recreational RC flights to 400feet altitude?

Again..I'd love to read it

Here is the summary for the FAA Rules.  

2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-12 11:42
No, I'm not; your video shows that you took off from the grass strip just north of the student parking lot that's southwest of the main buildings and then crossed Staples Mill Road heading north. It's easy enough to see by comparing your video to what's shown in Google Maps.

the CIA saw WMD's using satellite images over Iraq.  They were 100% certain.

Guess how that worked out.

Dont believe everything on the internet.

Fake news, fake videos.
2017-2-12
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-12 11:39
Incrimination usually means self-violation of a formal law/regulation.

Which regulation/law are you referring to?

2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

fans2b75c050 Posted at 2017-2-12 11:28

Can you specifically cite which LAWS you are referring to?

Im guessing..you cant..and wont.

Next.
2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-12 11:46

That's for COMMERCIAL.

I'll help: Here are the GUIDELINES for RECREATIONAL RC craft

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/

Note the middle of the page...with the header of "Safety GUIDELINES".

You will not find the word "LAW, RULE, or REGULATION" anywhere on that page. Because there currently ARE no "LAWS" re: recreational RC flying.

KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
2017-2-12
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-12 11:46
Can you specifically cite which LAWS you are referring to?

Im guessing..you cant..and wont.

"Im guessing..you cant..and wont."

At least he knows how to use an apostrophe. You apparently do not.
2017-2-12
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

also view this guy who got ticketed because of Youtube.com video incriminating him.

If you did not delete your video yet....do it know. don't be   {:4_177:}
2017-2-12
Use props
dirkjan82
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112169 ft
Netherlands

To record screen on iOS:

This is a link to your flight video, not the guide to the app to record the screen.

Funny how this thread seems all about flight regulations in the US, instead of the nice video. There are other threads I've seen where people don't obey the local flight regulations*, but everyone goes like "nice footage" and "awesome video!".

*I've seen one (even posted on the forum front page) where someone flies in the Netherlands over Volendam, while local law says it's forbidden for any type of unmanned aircraft to fly over towns and villages.
* I've also seen a Dutch video with someone flying over 4 kilometers away (range test) with the drone, while Dutch law says you may not fly out of line of sight. I'm pretty sure 4+ km is beyond line of sight with such a small aircraft.
In both cases nobody mentions the fact that they make illegal flights. They only praise the videos.
2017-2-12
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

It is still on. People will learn from their mistakes...
2017-2-12
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Netherlands

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-12 11:02
The entire video/flight is still up.

Oh i see now. Must have been a network issue on my side.
Nice vid..
As said by others, careful with the altitude though. Does not mean that if you stay below 400' you ll be safe. There always will be cowboys on both ends. Especially in a great aviation minded nation as the US.(in Europe flying in any form got boring because of the we-know-it-all-better faceless bureaucrats) And office creeps want to get promoted cause they pushed the perfect (anti) drone law.
Just try not to push it.

2017-2-12
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dirkjan82 Posted at 2017-2-12 11:56
This is a link to your flight video, not the guide to the app to record the screen.

Funny how this thread seems all about flight regulations in the US, instead of the nice video. There are other threads I've seen where people don't obey the local flight regulations*, but everyone goes like "nice footage" and "awesome video!".

The issue here is self control the more people causing unnecessary flight problems and going into the news the more local and federal government will impose more restrictive laws and soon enough will be like Europe where you are NOT allowed to fly or you will only be allowed to fly for few meters around your backyard.

It is all about self regulations and common sense and NOT give the government any excuse to impose more control on our daily lives.
2017-2-12
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Netherlands

dirkjan82 Posted at 2017-2-12 11:56

In any community where "OBEY!" is prefered over a healthy mindset things go bad.

The "range test" vid was a perfect example of safe flying / rulebending by the way. Low level and potentially harmful for a frog in case of crash..
2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

For those still asking/in need.

How to record your iphone/Ipad screen without jailbreaking.  

THIS video gives details on how. It's what I use.

2017-2-12
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-12 11:52
That's for COMMERCIAL.

I'll help: Here are the GUIDELINES for RECREATIONAL RC craft

Correct but, You need a registration to fly the drone correct? When you registered your drone with the FAA you confirmed that:

* You will NOT fly over 400"
* You will NOT fly at night
etc...
otherwise you will NOT be able to register your drone and consequently you are NOT allowed to fly.

So they got either way, If you say: Ah there is no law not fly over 400' but then you LIED UNDER OATH when you answered: "I agree to the above" so give me my registration.

2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

Excuse me? What "Oath" are you referring to?  
2017-2-12
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

So did you notify Hanover County Municipal Airport of your flight plans? That notification is a "requirement" (FAA's terminology), as it appears you reached the edge of its airspace at 0:43 in the video. Since you're such a stickler for people posting links I'll help you out:

"Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to BOTH the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower." -- Where To Fly

You not only flew well above 400 feet, but you did it within five miles of an airport. If you didn't notify the airport and control tower or if you didn't tell them how high you'd be flying then you did more than just ignore "suggestions". And I doubt any U.S. airport would have given their approval for that.
2017-2-12
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

Video appears to be gone now.
2017-2-12
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Netherlands

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-12 12:29
So did you notify Hanover County Municipal Airport of your flight plans? That notification is a "requirement" (FAA's terminology), as it appears you reached the edge of its airspace at 0:43 in the video. Since you're such a stickler for people posting links, here you go:

"Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to BOTH the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower." -- Where To Fly

Hey mate,
Just out of curiousity (i know, the cat dies): how do you see the OP's flight location?
I took another look at the vid and it absolutely contains some dont's based on common healthy sense.

- altitude: as said before. With so many VFR cowboys, cropdusters and private strips there is no safe altitude. Don't push it.
- extended flight in sport mode: mavic is not built for this. You may get bricking due to this.
- too much high wind. Definitely no-go beyond LoS.
- flying over densely congested areas combined with the above: speaks for itself.
- in vicinity of an airport (i assume droneflyer is correct): at this altitude you have increased your mid-air rendezvous exponentially.
- running low on juice without taking immediate action. Don't stall it. Just return asap. Were you aware on the wind speed/direction at all before flight?

Im not a saint myself but i do recommend to remove the vid.

2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

just got back in from flying....decided on a different test this time around. A one way flight. (Let me explain).
Goal was to go as far as possible one way, and have a "spotter" staged around the 4 mile mark in the vicinity where I was aiming for to retrieve the mavic once I land in a field area. Then using cell phone call I guided him to the landing spot.  
Was able to hit the 4.1 mile range before I was truly losing signal even at a certain altitude that was below 1640 feet.  But I forgot to clear out my SD card before the flight and video stopped about halfway through. UGH.

got a tip via PM that suggested to only post video on here from the actual craft, and to NOT post video from the phone as the "airholes" (aka drone police) would come out of the woodwork and whine.  (as evidenced here...posters who comment negatively AFTER the flight has taken place.  (Horse WELL out of the barn, but yet, you close the fence. LOL)   Same poster who PM'ed me invited me to a members only Facebook group dedicated solely to FPV flyers with "interesting" footage.  So the vids with the on-screen flight info will go there.

FYI: for those who REALLY want to get their panties bunched up over FAA? Go to youtube and search on any vid with "skyhunter FPV" in the title.  YOur collective heads will EXPLODE. LOL
2017-2-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

This was me flying. Please dont lecture me. LOL

2017-2-12
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Netherlands

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-12 15:36
just got back in from flying....decided on a different test this time around. A one way flight. (Let me explain).
Goal was to go as far as possible one way, and have a "spotter" staged around the 4 mile mark in the vicinity where I was aiming for to retrieve the mavic once I land in a field area. Then using cell phone call I guided him to the landing spot.  
Was able to hit the 4.1 mile range before I was truly losing signal even at a certain altitude that was below 1640 feet.  But I forgot to clear out my SD card before the flight and video stopped about halfway through. UGH.

Your remarks concerning "drone police" are rather narrowminded. With the proper attitude you could have taken this as "constructive" criticism. The mavic is not as simple as an fpv plank or a 3d heli. These things you build up yourself and know  every screw and cable in there.
With so many reported issues around the mavic and still taking risks while the before mentioned FOB's are awaiting the opportunity to screw every hobbyist around is your own choice. I understand if the majority of the drone crowd disapproves this but you need to take the critical notes like a man when it comes down to it.
2017-2-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules