Need Help Choosing
1000 14 2017-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iamthewatchdog
lvl.3
United States

Greetings,

I know this probably has been asked before, but I searched several key words, and got zero hits.

I am new to the world of DJI drones and I'm looking at both the Mavic Pro and the Phantom 4 Pro. I've only ever flown cheap sub $150 drones, so jumping to 10x that amount is very scary. Add to that some of the mishaps of the Mavic Pro, and I'm beginning to reconsider buying one -- from DJI or any other company.

Are the Mavic and the P4P good for beginners? Are any DJI drones good for beginners? I've watched hours of footage/reviews of both, and some folks say that both are great for newbs, others say that they would start with small cheap drones. Problem with that is, they're easy to lose, and break way too easily. After a while that adds up.

Some of the threads on the mavic have me rethinking buying it. I know that all products have bugs and you roll the dice with just about anything electronic these days. But, is DJI fixing these bugs? (From what I've read on here, some are still having the same LOC or similar failures) Is the customer service as bad as I've read? Should I wait a few more months?

I like both of the drones -- the Mavic is the one I'm leaning towards, but either would be fine. Again, I'm sorry if this type of question has been beat to death, and please don't think I am going all "chicken little" on these drones. Just want to make the best decision.

2017-2-12
Use props
TJAUS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16683 ft
Australia

Maybe try a P3 Standard for an entry level. About 3rd to half the price of Mavic and P4P.
2017-2-12
Use props
Gallacherboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 778209 ft
United Kingdom

Get a Mavic, you wont be disappointed
2017-2-12
Use props
iamthewatchdog
lvl.3
United States

TJAUS Posted at 2017-2-12 15:05
Maybe try a P3 Standard for an entry level. About 3rd to half the price of Mavic and P4P.

For some odd reason the DJI store says that the P3 series isn't available in the US. The few online retailers I have spoken to via email or online assistance have said that they are not sure if DJI was going to continue support since the P4 and P4P and Mavic has come out. This could all be bogus and them just trying to get more $$, but it does sort of make sense.
2017-2-12
Use props
iamthewatchdog
lvl.3
United States

Gallacherboy Posted at 2017-2-12 16:00
Get a Mavic, you wont be disappointed

I'm leaning toward getting the Mavic. I've been wanting it since I first heard about it. Just sort of scary reading all the horror stories.
2017-2-12
Use props
THKenney
New

United States

iamthewatchdog Posted at 2017-2-12 16:07
I'm leaning toward getting the Mavic. I've been wanting it since I first heard about it. Just sort of scary reading all the horror stories.

I'm in the same boat as you...been using cheaper drones for some time, but just placed my order for the Mavic Pro.  I too debated between the P4 and MP, but the MP just seems to be the clear winner.
2017-2-12
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187595 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought a new P3 Standard on ebay for $370, flew it for a month while waiting for my Mavic to come. Once I was comfortable with the Mavic, I sold the P3S for $320. It's still scary flying a $370 drone but its a lot better to crash or lose than a $1000 drone. I can't imagine going straight to the Mavic and feeling comfortable.
2017-2-12
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

DJI drones are easy to fly (I'm a beginner). Even though I am a photography enthusiast and value technical quality of camera very high, it was easy for me to choose the Mavic against the Phantom 4 Pro. Because the size of the Mavic actually makes it possible to bring it with me when traveling. But if you value the technical quality of photos and videos higher than portability, Phantom 4 Pro might be your choice. I think that is the most important difference between the two.

Camera on Mavic has similar quality to the "regular" Phantom 4.
2017-2-12
Use props
Will.H
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI drones are so easy to fly. I'd never had one before and picked up the P3 Standard last year. I've loved it, but wanted a bit more so have opted for the Mavic. The Mavic was purely about portability for me. The size of the Phantom has annoyed me, but once up and flying, they are great drones.

As for problems and service, you get that everywhere. Too many people want to beat a company up when something goes wrong so they come here and voice their opinions, which they're entitled to do. But I imagine more Mavics are problem free, than those you read about here.

Good luck with your choice, I'm sure you won't be disappointed whichever way you go!
2017-2-12
Use props
Gallacherboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 778209 ft
United Kingdom

iamthewatchdog Posted at 2017-2-12 16:07

You not letting that stop you? DJI released a new Drone that being the Mavic in the beginning there will be glitches, I cant see why DJI wont fix them if any factory issue
2017-2-13
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Iamthewatchdog (awesome profile pic & name, LOL),

Here is my take:
A few years ago, I bought a DJI Phantom 2 Vision + for, IDK $500 (?), and I also bought a $150 toy quad to "get use to" and found that helped me a lot.  I was super nervous about flying the P2V+ just because of the price point at the time.
I did crash it twice, repaired it twice (myself, because I wanted to know the in/outs of a quad), and in hindsight, glad I did.
Since then I bought a Phantom 3 Pro (P3P), then the P4, then the Inspire 1 pro, then the P4P, then a Mavic.  I'm not bolstering, but it all depends on were I am, what I want to film or photograph.  Yes, the Mavic is the MOST portable, the P4P is bigger but I have a backpack for it, the I1...yea, its a huge suitcase.

If I were you, because you have a little experience with a $150 quad, I would pull the trigger on the Mavic.  I think Will.H said it best...there are more Mavic's out there in good flying then what you read here.  They are easy to fly, READ, READ, READ, that manual and watch the official DJI tutorials on the Mavic, and then read the manual again.
This Forum is awesome to have your questions answered and you will soon find out whom to "believe" and whom to "not believe".  
Open field is a must, DO NOT FLY IT INDOORS starting out, take it slow until you get use to it.  Keep it in "beginner mode" and then once you feel more comfortable, switch it over and unleash it!!

You will have so much fun with it, and I for one, look forward to your vids/pics.

Enjoy.
2017-2-13
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

I chose the Mavik over the P3 or P4  as my first serious drone for one reason - portability.  I travel a lot (airline) so I don't want to lug around extra baggage.  If I were a commercial photographer, things would be different. If you have a bit of tech savvy, the MP should not be daunting at all.  It's easy to fly.  A lot of the crashes and losses you read about  here are, IMO, due to poor pilot planning/training  or risky missions. Sure there are some equipment problems, but most are easily resolved if you can be patient.  Remember that these are not toys, but some amazing new technology (with some glitches expected).  Good luck with your choice. I'm sure you will enjoy.
2017-2-13
Use props
sgtfury_11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 151614 ft
United States

Dog, I'm a newbie to the drone world also. The Mavic was my choice. But before I ever purchased it I bought a Syma X5SW and a UDI/RC U818A. Cheap ones that are under 60 bucks. Two different styles and I've flown the heck out of them. And that's how to start. You learn much more on how to control an aircraft without GPS and avoidance systems. Like the others have said, no matter which one you choose...read the manual. Then read it again. Don't fly it inside...not until you become completely comfortable with it. Outside, large open area, no or at least relatively few obstructions. Beginner mode to start. Get the feel of it. Not just a couple of flights. I've had my Mavic for a month now and I'm very impressed with it. But total flight time is still only about 2 hours. Unfortunately being winter haven't had a lot of chances to fly. Even today...wind gusts  up to 40MPH.  

And look for communication towers. Don't take a chance that some sort of interference will cause a fly away.  
2017-2-13
Use props
superjet96
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142743 ft
United States

I just flew my first DJI product this weekend.  I got the Mavic and it was way easy to learn.  I flew on beginner mode in a baseball field after reading the manual twice and some parts three times.  I got bored with beginner mode before my first battery was out and switched that off.  I went through another battery and before that was out I had pretty good control and was able to circle myself and mostly being able to hold the camera in one spot without follow me and so on.  Going to learn total control and camera pointing before trying any of the automatic modes.
It is a blast to fly and much easier than I thought but read the manual.  Mine came in great shape and no problems so far.
2017-2-13
Use props
iamthewatchdog
lvl.3
United States

I just want to take the time and thank everyone for their replies! I've decided that I'm going to get the Mavic. It's the one that I want, and after watching a few instructional videos and actually reading the manual from DJI, it seems to be a drone that will be easy to fly and enjoy.

Again, thanks to everyone and all your words of encouragement.
2017-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules