P4P TERRIBLE photo quality
2639 17 2017-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NorthCoast
New

United States

Even when shooting in RAW, still images are absolutely awful. The files are being saved as 32mb (960x540), so pixles are very evident even when zoomed all the way out. Firmware is up to date, and this has been a problem through all 3 updates so far.
Has anyone hear dof this being a problem, or know how I could fix it?
2017-2-12
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Please provide some pictures for us to see...
2017-2-12
Use props
NorthCoast
New

United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-12 15:34
Please provide some pictures for us to see...

sample

sample
2017-2-12
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nothing was attached???
2017-2-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If your pictures are being saved at 960x540, then no doubt they do look awful. That ratio is 16:9 and the resolution of the camera in 16:9 is actually 5472 × 3078.

960 x 540 is actually 0.5 Megapixel resolution, even the earliest of digital cameras did better than that.

I would suggest you might be looking at the low resolution photos saved to your phone or tablet. The real photos are on the SD card in the camera, take a look at those.

2017-2-12
Use props
NorthCoast
New

United States

RE: P4P TERRIBLE photo quality

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-12 15:55
If your pictures are being saved at 960x540, then no doubt they do look awful. That ratio is 16:9 and the resolution of the camera in 16:9 is actually 5472 × 3078.

960 x 540 is actually 0.5 Megapixel resolution, even the earliest of digital cameras did better than that.

Right From the card, maybe I have funky settings from the drone?
Capture.JPG
2017-2-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

NorthCoast Posted at 2017-2-12 16:04

Well that is interesting. The file size seems to be correct for a 20 Megapixel image, I wonder if it is due to the software you are using to open the RAW image?
2017-2-12
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

What settings do you have under the photo tab in the app?

Maybe you can dowload to dropbopx and send us the link. I opened your picture and it is only showing as:  2393 X 1348 PIX.

All of mine show: 5472 X 3078  with a minimum zise of 7500KB
2017-2-12
Use props
P4P+
lvl.3
United States

Make sure you are in photo mode when you take pictures. If you are video recording and stop the video and then press the camera button on the remote, it will take the resolution that you were video recording in.
2017-2-12
Use props
P4P+
lvl.3
United States

P4P+ Posted at 2017-2-12 17:33
Make sure you are in photo mode when you take pictures. If you are video recording and stop the video and then press the camera button on the remote, it will take the resolution that you were video recording in.

Oops disregard what I posted, in my test my pictures came out at 5472x3078 after videoing in lower resolution. I swear the one picture I took while flying came out as low res and I figured that it happened because I was in video mode. My test shows that the camera shutter button switches the mode to camera automatically.
2017-2-12
Use props
Happy Retiree
lvl.2
Flight distance : 728478 ft
United States

What app or program are you using to open the .DNG files? The first time I tried to open a .DNG file several years ago, I found that I did not have any installed software on my computer which could open and display .DNG files... or maybe it was editing that I couldn't do... don't remember.
What app or program did you use to convert the file that you showed as an example from .DNG to .JPG?

It doesn't sound to me like the drone has anything at all to do with the problem, but I could be wrong.
2017-2-12
Use props
Fruxen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

The small image is just a compressed preview within the DNG file used for thumbnails etc. You have to open it with a program that can fetch andedit the actual DNG data, like Photoshop.
2017-2-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Fruxen Posted at 2017-2-12 21:12
The small image is just a compressed preview within the DNG file used for thumbnails etc. You have to open it with a program that can fetch andedit the actual DNG data, like Photoshop.

Thank you, I had forgotten about that, and there is the answer. It would appear that whatever application NorthCoast is using to open the DNG cannot do so and is simply seeing the low res thumbnail.
2017-2-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Appreciate for all comments above.
NorthCoast, if you still have the issue after that, then please upload several original pictures to Dropbox, please do not edit them at all.
Then we'll check that for you.
2017-2-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax has explained the situation for you.
If you haven't got an appropriate program to open raw images, you'll probably be better off shooting in jpg format rather than raw.
Raw photos require photographic knowledge and experience whereas jpg images are ready to go and much easier to deal with.
2017-2-12
Use props
The-CROW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59892 ft
Lebanon

Hello, are you shooting in DNG or JPG. I know that if you open the files in default Windows photo viewer, it will give you the wrong dimensions. But if you open them in Adobe Photoshop or Camera Raw they will open in their true dimensions. At least that what happens to me.
2017-2-13
Use props
lienbacher
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1068337 ft
Austria

P4P+ Posted at 2017-2-12 17:42
Oops disregard what I posted, in my test my pictures came out at 5472x3078 after videoing in lower resolution. I swear the one picture I took while flying came out as low res and I figured that it happened because I was in video mode. My test shows that the camera shutter button switches the mode to camera automatically.

It switches automatically from video to photo mode if you are not currently recording video. If you are recording video only a jpg is saved in the current video resolution (kinda like a framegrab).

@NorthCoast, it seems like you have no experience in photoediting/raw-workflow. From the file-size it seems your raws are fine and you may indeed be looking at the embedded jpg-files which are only for preview (that's why they are small).
2017-2-13
Use props
JayOne
lvl.2
United States

same here when i am taking stills the images does look kinda noisy.. and i'm trying to fine the best setting to get great stills shots and the camera is focusing  as well but doesn't looks well like picture taken from a Nikon or canon or even a smart phone camera .. but do you think by having nd4 or nd8 or nd16 filter will help out the quality of the image??
2017-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules