Maiden flight
724 9 2017-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OregonDude
lvl.1
United States

Well after waiting impatiently for over 5 business days I cancelled my DJI order for a $359 refurbished P3S and picked up a brand new one on Amazon for $405 and it shipped to my door in 3 business days. Messed around indoors with powering up the equipment, updating the FW (1.08) on the RC, AC and batteries along with familiarizing myself with the DJI Go application (3.1.3). I also calibrated the IMU, gimbal and RC sticks. Once I was outdoors today on a soccer field I then calibrated the compass.

Today was the first day of getting it in the air outdoors and all I can say is WOW!

On the third flight/battery I did notice some toliet bowling of the AC while it was close to ground but I reluctantly brought it up higher and spinning around went away.

The DJI Go application did crash and exit on 3 different flights while the AC was in the air which was a little frightening but it started back up quickly when relaunched. I have a Google Nexus 6 which is fairly new HW so the app should not be overtaxing the processor in the phone. I was recording video on each of these DJI Go crashes which might contribute to the issue.

I did try the RTH button in the app and it worked great the first time but on the second battery/flight the AC flew past me at full speed and I cancelled the RTH immediatly with the right RC switch and brought the AC back manually. That was a little freaky...

Will be uploading flight logs into Healthy Drones soon to see what went on with the toliet bowling and flying past me on RTH.

Have a bunch of stuff ordered to take the P3S with me on hikes which I look forward to collecting some nice photos and videos from.

2017-2-12
Use props
Thermographer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1417362 ft
United States

Great report, all I can say is keep practicing with it.  I have never experienced the "toilet bowling".  When you tried the RTH were you in beginner mode and or had the max distance engaged?  
2017-2-12
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Good for you, Homer.
2017-2-12
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Hey OD, You made the right choice. Good luck and safe flying.
2017-2-12
Use props
OregonDude
lvl.1
United States

Thermographer Posted at 2017-2-12 20:22
Great report, all I can say is keep practicing with it.  I have never experienced the "toilet bowling".  When you tried the RTH were you in beginner mode and or had the max distance engaged?

Hello Thermographer. Beginner mode is turned off but the max distance is set to whatever the defaults are. I uploaded the flight logs to HealthyDrones and taking a look at the sensor data now to see if there is any explanation for the RTH fly by and the toilet bowling.
2017-2-12
Use props
DJ Nee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84610 ft
Australia

It appears that everyone except me seems to know what is meant by 'toilet bowling'! Can someone explain in idiot terms please!
2017-2-12
Use props
OregonDude
lvl.1
United States

DJ Nee Posted at 2017-2-12 21:47
It appears that everyone except me seems to know what is meant by 'toilet bowling'! Can someone explain in idiot terms please!

Copter will face one direction but will spin clockwise around in a circle without any input on the remote controller. Usually caused by compass data going wonky for some reason.
2017-2-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

OregonDude Posted at 2017-2-12 21:51
Copter will face one direction but will spin clockwise around in a circle without any input on the remote controller. Usually caused by compass data going wonky for some reason.

Actually, it is normally caused by getting a bad compass calibration. You might try doing it again, well away from any metal influence.
2017-2-12
Use props
Thermographer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1417362 ft
United States

OregonDude Posted at 2017-2-12 21:40
Hello Thermographer. Beginner mode is turned off but the max distance is set to whatever the defaults are. I uploaded the flight logs to HealthyDrones and taking a look at the sensor data now to see if there is any explanation for the RTH fly by and the toilet bowling.

Do have the newest GoApp?  If you do a search you will see ALOT of issues with one of the releases of the GoApp.
2017-2-13
Use props
OregonDude
lvl.1
United States

Thermographer Posted at 2017-2-13 04:26
Do have the newest GoApp?  If you do a search you will see ALOT of issues with one of the releases of the GoApp.

Yes, have the rev 3.1.3 of the Android DJI Go application that was forced onto me.

I do see DJI just released rev 3.1.5 of the IOS DJI Go application today with the following fixes:
What's New in Version 3.1.5
- Fixed app crashes under certain conditions.
- Updated No-fly Zone database.

The Android rev 3.1.3 app crashed three times so hoping some of these crash fixes make it into the the next Android app version.
2017-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules