Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Video Editing System
1620 28 2017-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DT393
lvl.3
Flight distance : 282979 ft
United States

So Got my first flight in and my work laptop is chugging like a college fratboy doing a keg stand. Guess I am going to need to spring for a new personal computer (been meaning to anyways). So my question is what sort of setup do i need to get to succesfully edit 4k Files?

2017-2-12
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

2016 Macbook Pro if you can pick one up. I bought one last March loaded with everything you can put in it and it renders video at an unbelievable speed. I wouldn't recommend the new MacBook Pro as there isn't a lot of difference right now. That said... later this year (if the rumors are true) they are supposed to be updated with a new processor and up to 32gb of RAM. Some people use Windows machines and I'm sure there are some good ones out there but Macs are extremely user friendly and just work. I came from a Windows machine and it's night and day difference between the two. At least in my case it was. Just my $.02
2017-2-12
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

I'm in the same boat.  Currently putting together a list of components to build a 4K video editing machine.  I would highly recommend doing a search on YouTube under "4K Video editing PC" where there are many videos indicating what is required.  

Despite the friendliness of Mac's, most of the recommendations seem to be for PC's.  Not cheap to get a proper solution.  Software such as Adobe Premier and DaVinci Resolve are so resource intensive, that you pretty much need some high end components to speed up your editing greatly.
2017-2-12
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

I use Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Lightroom, and Final Cut Pro on the Mac and have zero issues with post processing. Yeah I paid a lot for the Mac but... I suppose you get what you pay for. I'm not a huge Apple fan boy but when something works as advertised I'm happy with the purchase.
2017-2-12
Use props
DT393
lvl.3
United States

Ive been looking for an excuse to get a new PC...Razer is a great Gaming device so maybe could kill two birds with one stone...

https://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade

Tho I do like Macs and Final Cut, but haven't used it in so long on my long dead old mac   man this isn't a cheap hobby, maybe I should get my pro license and get some tax breaks out of this
2017-2-13
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

DT393 Posted at 2017-2-13 12:17
Ive been looking for an excuse to get a new PC...Razer is a great Gaming device so maybe could kill two birds with one stone...

https://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade

I thought the same thing. I have a Alienware PC with high end everything and I was terrible at rendering video. High end graphics card 32gb of ram and a I7 processor. It's great for gaming but absolutely horrible for editing. Which is the reason I opted for the Mac. Macs (or MacBook Pros) are optimized for doing exactly that. I know I'm sounding like a broken record but if you want a computer that will do exactly what it's supposed to do without any frustration then a Mac is the way to go. Instead of waiting a couple of mins for boot up to complete on a Windows PC I wait "maybe" 15 secs and I'm working. Add to that a very small chance of viruses or malware and you've got yourself a perfect machine for post processing work.
2017-2-13
Use props
DT393
lvl.3
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2017-2-13 13:59
I thought the same thing. I have a Alienware PC with high end everything and I was terrible at rendering video. High end graphics card 32gb of ram and a I7 processor. It's great for gaming but absolutely horrible for editing. Which is the reason I opted for the Mac. Macs (or MacBook Pros) are optimized for doing exactly that. I know I'm sounding like a broken record but if you want a computer that will do exactly what it's supposed to do without any frustration then a Mac is the way to go. Instead of waiting a couple of mins for boot up to complete on a Windows PC I wait "maybe" 15 secs and I'm working. Add to that a very small chance of viruses or malware and you've got yourself a perfect machine for post processing work.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up. Ive been looking at the 13 inch non touch pad version of the Macbook pro with a upgraded hard drive and memory. It sure isn't cheap, but its damn pretty
2017-2-13
Use props
DT393
lvl.3
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2017-2-13 13:59

Haha ended up with the touch-bar, 3.1Ghz Dual Core, 16GB SD Ram, 512 GB HD with Final Cut Pro-X. Thank god I have no wife or kids to answer to about my recent spending habits. If I start talking about getting a P4P you have permission to yell at me
2017-2-13
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

DT393 Posted at 2017-2-13 14:43
Haha ended up with the touch-bar, 3.1Ghz Dual Core, 16GB SD Ram, 512 GB HD with Final Cut Pro-X. Thank god I have no wife or kids to answer to about my recent spending habits. If I start talking about getting a P4P you have permission to yell at me

Lol... are you kidding me? I would be the last to yell at you consider how much I have in photo / video equipment lol.

I've got an early 2016 MacBook Pro loaded with every option available. I'm going to hold off buying the new MacBook until later this year when they release the Pro with the faster processor and 32gb of ram.
2017-2-13
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

And nothing that Apple sells is cheap but I've always been of the opinion that you get what you pay for. The user friendly nature of Macs in general are a selling point alone along with the blinding speed they are able to post process information.
2017-2-13
Use props
DT393
lvl.3
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2017-2-13 15:14
Lol... are you kidding me? I would be the last to yell at you consider how much I have in photo / video equipment lol.

I've got an early 2016 MacBook Pro loaded with every option available. I'm going to hold off buying the new MacBook until later this year when they release the Pro with the faster processor and 32gb of ram.

Yeah i am sure that thing will cook once its out. I have no patience when it comes to big purchases. I was going back and forth on the 1TB vs 512 harddrive and decided that I can get an external storage drive as needed cheaper later. Hope I dont regret that later.

The Ipad Mini 4 i had work order for me just arrived, damn i want to sneak out of here and go fly somewhere.
2017-2-13
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

DT393 Posted at 2017-2-13 15:29
Yeah i am sure that thing will cook once its out. I have no patience when it comes to big purchases. I was going back and forth on the 1TB vs 512 harddrive and decided that I can get an external storage drive as needed cheaper later. Hope I dont regret that later.

The Ipad Mini 4 i had work order for me just arrived, damn i want to sneak out of here and go fly somewhere.

The one you got will be fine. It will burn through all your post processing needs. Good purchase and I think you will be happy.
2017-2-13
Use props
DT393
lvl.3
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2017-2-13 15:39
The one you got will be fine. It will burn through all your post processing needs. Good purchase and I think you will be happy.

Yeah i am excited and am looking forward to relearning final cut pro. Now all i need to do is get more than 5 minutes of flying time in. The coming rain sure wont help, so it'll be a while before I can post anything with my new system.  

I put this one together in the DJI Go 4 app since its all I had to work with. Im surprised i got anything in before the ranger told me I wasnt allowed to fly at that park.

2017-2-13
Use props
Capt Hurls
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84675 ft
United States

I used Final Cut Pro this past weekend to produce my first drone video...

2017-2-13
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

I used Final cut Pro X all the time for my videos. I switch between FCP and Adobe Premiere Pro CC. I use Premiere Pro mostly for time lapse footage since I find it better suited for that than FCP.  
2017-2-13
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

Nice videos btw!
2017-2-13
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use dual GTX1080, core i7 RAM 64GB to edit
2017-2-13
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

WYHSniper1007 Posted at 2017-2-13 17:39
I use dual GTX1080, core i7 RAM 64GB to edit

I imagine that would be nice. Better than I had in my PC with the exception of the i7-4790K processor. My video card was a GeForce GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5. With dual GTX 1080's I imagine you have about $1200 in video cards alone not counting how much you have invested in the rest of your machine? My reason was personal since I wanted a compact machine that I could take in the field and still be able to do all the processing without struggle. That was my reason I chose the MacBook Pro. I'm sure there are better machines out there at a lower cost. I've got almost $4500 in mine but that also includes the 1TB internal PCle HD and two 1TB LaCie SSD external drives that I have hooked up to my machine. I suppose in the end I'm just not a fan of Windows based PC's. I don't want to have to micromanage the machine. I just want it to boot up fast and work. That was my basis for choosing the Mac. Not saying you're wrong in anyway and I hope you don't take it that way. Buying a machine is a personal decision. Those are just the reasons that I purchased the machine I did. I've had it for almost a year and it has worked flawlessly for a year without a single hiccup. I can not say that about any Windows based machine I've ever owned.  
2017-2-13
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2017-2-13 17:56
I imagine that would be nice. Better than I had in my PC with the exception of the i7-4790K processor. My video card was a GeForce GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5. With dual GTX 1080's I imagine you have about $1200 in video cards alone not counting how much you have invested in the rest of your machine? My reason was personal since I wanted a compact machine that I could take in the field and still be able to do all the processing without struggle. That was my reason I chose the MacBook Pro. I'm sure there are better machines out there at a lower cost. I've got almost $4500 in mine but that also includes the 1TB internal PCle HD and two 1TB LaCie SSD external drives that I have hooked up to my machine. I suppose in the end I'm just not a fan of Windows based PC's. I don't want to have to micromanage the machine. I just want it to boot up fast and work. That was my basis for choosing the Mac. Not saying you're wrong in anyway and I hope you don't take it that way. Buying a machine is a personal decision. Those are just the reasons that I purchased the machine I did. I've had it for almost a year and it has worked flawlessly for a year without a single hiccup. I can not say that about any Windows based machine I've ever owned.

So if you take it in the field, I would probably choose Dell XPS 15, 4k screen, i7 with GTX1060, both portable and powerful
2017-2-13
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

WYHSniper1007 Posted at 2017-2-13 18:17
So if you take it in the field, I would probably choose Dell XPS 15, 4k screen, i7 with GTX1060, both portable and powerful

I agree. I did actually look at one similar to that one. But in the end I chose the Mac for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Just not a Windows fan anymore I'm afraid.
2017-2-13
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2017-2-13 18:17
I agree. I did actually look at one similar to that one. But in the end I chose the Mac for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Just not a Windows fan anymore I'm afraid.

As the opposite side of you I just don't know how to use MAC at all. LMAO. I even don't know how to turn off the MAC when I first use it
2017-2-13
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

WYHSniper1007 Posted at 2017-2-13 18:46
As the opposite side of you I just don't know how to use MAC at all. LMAO. I even don't know how to turn off the MAC when I first use it

Lol... Don't feel bad I didn't either. It wasn't until I actually got my hands on one and watched a few online courses that I realized how easy and user friendly they actually are. Now I won't go back. I was like you and thought a new OS would be hard to learn but it was quite the opposite.
2017-2-13
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2017-2-13 18:53
Lol... Don't feel bad I didn't either. It wasn't until I actually got my hands on one and watched a few online courses that I realized how easy and user friendly they actually are. Now I won't go back. I was like you and thought a new OS would be hard to learn but it was quite the opposite.

Yeah, so many people said OS is really user friendly and I want to try it. But apple computer is so expensive compare to the same powerful computer. Also apple computer isn't good if you are game fan!
2017-2-13
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

WYHSniper1007 Posted at 2017-2-13 18:56
Yeah, so many people said OS is really user friendly and I want to try it. But apple computer is so expensive compare to the same powerful computer. Also apple computer isn't good if you are game fan!

I agree on both of those points. Apple products are expensive no doubt. And for gaming... I wouldn't even bother on my Mac. I've still got my gaming PC for that. What struck me as odd (and actually drove me to a Mac) was just how bad my gaming PC is at rendering video with Adobe Premiere Pro. I realize it was built for gaming but I assumed (wrongly) that it would be good for video also.  
2017-2-13
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2017-2-13 19:01
I agree on both of those points. Apple products are expensive no doubt. And for gaming... I wouldn't even bother on my Mac. I've still got my gaming PC for that. What struck me as odd (and actually drove me to a Mac) was just how bad my gaming PC is at rendering video with Adobe Premiere Pro. I realize it was built for gaming but I assumed (wrongly) that it would be good for video also.

The best way to do it is to install windows in to your MAC haha
2017-2-13
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

WYHSniper1007 Posted at 2017-2-13 19:03
The best way to do it is to install windows in to your MAC haha

The best way to do it is do what you did. Buy a Windows PC that is capable of gaming and rendering video ;)

I'm a fan of keeping my workflow separate so I have a dedicated machine for one task and a dedicated machine for another. It's the OCD in me I suppose lol.
2017-2-13
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DT393 Posted at 2017-2-13 15:43
Yeah i am excited and am looking forward to relearning final cut pro. Now all i need to do is get more than 5 minutes of flying time in. The coming rain sure wont help, so it'll be a while before I can post anything with my new system.  

I put this one together in the DJI Go 4 app since its all I had to work with. Im surprised i got anything in before the ranger told me I wasnt allowed to fly at that park.

Keep an eye on the focus and less saturation and you are on your way... Nice start!
2017-2-13
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Capt Hurls Posted at 2017-2-13 16:00
I used Final Cut Pro this past weekend to produce my first drone video...
https://youtu.be/dpOs3DNT-M8

Nice... keep it coming...
2017-2-13
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Use a i7 6800 @ 4.2 (1.208v), 32 gb ram and rx 480 (8 gb) to edit. The nice thing about the x99 platform is you can oc adaptive and leave on low power states. So your machine runs at a low voltage (.77v) while idle @ 1.2 and switches speed when needed.

My other rig is i7 6700 @ 4.5 same v card. And that does just fine to edit 4k also, but it's not perfect editing like on the x99. Both rigs will last forever, the cores peak < 60C on air using aida. You'll have to dither to half on the 6700 when mixing 4+ video tracks on the timeline unlike the broadwell-e and its 6 cores. I built both for around $1400 each with 32" and 40" 4k monitors.

The thing with mac users saying they boot fast. That's funny because pc can ultra fast boot on broadwell or skylake if wanted on windows 8 or 10. Main reason pc users like the pause is a lot of us run dual os and it gives you time to switch or boot from usb.

Basically you can build 2 or even 3 pcs for the cost of one mac with all the options!

I've run hackintosh in a vm on my pc, and that could run as your main os if you wanted. I'm not sure of the legality but that's out there. Pre-built PC is another thing, good and bad.
2017-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules