Choppy video on Mavic
18491 35 2017-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9ef6ca6f
lvl.1
United States

Noticing slight video freezes (like a couple frames) and sometimes a consistent choppy/stuttering when panning.
MP4 highest bit rate, 1080p 30fps and 4k 30fps. Using the sd card that came with it, and also on a Samsung 64GB EVO Class 10.

Don't see this on my other GoPro drones, is this expected on the Mavic camera?

Thanks
2017-2-13
Use props
fans4a05b13a
New
Italy

Did my first flight and video this saturday...and got the same problem using 4K/30fps...I used the SD card that came with it as well.
I thought was my iMac, downgraded the resolution of the video with Final Cut Pro to 1080p and problem is still there.

Will try to change to 2.7K/30fps and see if the problem is still there.

2017-2-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Would you please upload an original video directly from SD card to dropbox and provide me the link?
We'll check it for you.
2017-2-14
Use props
markoconnell
lvl.2
United States

I'm getting dropped frames on the Phantom 4 Pro as well.
2017-2-20
Use props
doinomazi
lvl.1
United States

Same problem here. Vertical lines in high contrast areas are really jumpy... 4K/30p. tried different cards, different shutter speeds, 24p and 30p, same problem. teh vertical lines jitter is visible on the live display even without a card, or recording.
2017-3-4
Use props
el_jefe
New
United States

I'm running into identical issues when shooting in 4k. I changed the resolution to 1080p and everything looks great. Regardless, I'd like to understand what's going on as I'd like to record 4K video. I'm also using the SD card that came with the unit until my new 64GB card arrives.
2017-4-16
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Are you using Android or IOS?
2017-4-16
Use props
el_jefe
New
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-2-14 02:54
Would you please upload an original video directly from SD card to dropbox and provide me the link?
We'll check it for you.

I'm having the same issue. PM sent with link to original video.
2017-4-16
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

You can format your sd card with this utility.

https://forum.xda-developers.com ... ws-sd-card-t2960190

Use FAT32 @ 65536 allocation size. Then put these files on the root https://www.dropbox.com/s/oewzah ... ard%20Root.zip?dl=0

The mavic uses exfat but found through testing the large fat32 alloc is faster writing. I never had problems, but faster is faster.
2017-4-16
Use props
michaeldk
lvl.1
Cyprus

Bought my mavic 2 days ago. Having *EXACTLY* the same problems.  Recording footage at 2.7k or 4k at 25 or 30 fps with either stock SD card or a different one result in video that is not smooth.

1) Choppy (dropped frames)
2) "Flickering" (areas of mid-dark level become lighter and darker a few times a second, about 0.1-0.3 stops) while highlights-mids stay goood).
3) When panning (slowly, tripod mode and cinematic mode!) sometimes/often content blurs extremely, and unpredictably.

I'm quite disappointed so far, my hacked-to-support-4K LG G2 mobile phone has better video smoothness than this €1200 drone...

Hope this gets fixed soon. Can't see myself producing (semi) professional footage with this.
2017-4-16
Use props
fansa28f1d4d
New
Flight distance : 36932 ft
United States

same problem
2017-4-26
Use props
fansa28f1d4d
New
Flight distance : 36932 ft
United States

Im having the same problem on my Mavic as well.  Need to have a solution this week.  Video for work is important to support a project.
2017-4-26
Use props
fans8c246317
New
United Kingdom

Hi, has anyone found a solution to this problem?
2017-5-9
Use props
fans8c246317
New
United Kingdom

fans8c246317 Posted at 2017-5-9 20:41

Here is what happened in my case, I'm new to shooting video and this is my first 4K camera, I have an old 2009 MacBook Pro, when I transfer the video from the drone SD card to my PC and play it it looks awful, I try to lower the resolution to 2.7K and got the same issue, my first thought was the drone has a problem! but after some research it turns out that my old PC can't handle 4K, but that is something that didn't cross my mind, you will need a very good PC capable of playing and editing 4K videos, so I lower the resolution to 1080 24fps and now the videos look awesome and silky smooth.
2017-5-13
Use props
fans8d9ed427
New
United States

Why hasn't DJI answered this issue?  I am having same problem.. spend 1200 and wanted 4k but its choppy on most computers.  So how are those guys posting up beautiful 4k video edits.   I can't produce projects with it like this.   There has got to be something.
2017-8-8
Use props
Aerial Concepts
New
United States

Whenever I upload my video footage from my Mavic Pro to my computer the video plays normal when I open it up in Windows Media Player. Whenever I transfer the video footage over to my editing software, the video then becomes very choppy and lags severely. How do I make sure that my editing software and my video footage from Mavic Pro are the same size and format? Shooting videos with my Mavic and editing them are a new hobby that I'm getting into but I cant seem to make any improvements editing the video footage. I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 15 and I'm camera settings for video on Mavic are 1920X1080 24 fps MP4 format NTSC. Please help me figure this problem out. I was beginning to think that my laptop is too slow to handle the video but like I said when I open the original video footage up in Windows Media Player it plays smooth, however when I open the video footage up in my editing software it is extremely choppy and lags very bad. Thanks for any help.
2017-8-14
Use props
djiuser_vpRfmYb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 92618 ft
South Africa

Hi There, I wanted to see if there is a solution to this stuttering/choppy video yet?
2017-9-21
Use props
djiuser_vpRfmYb
lvl.1
South Africa

Hi There, i had the same issue. I dont know if this will help but i formatted my sd card and it really worked for me
2017-9-22
Use props
fans245fc24b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 529219 ft
Bulgaria

Same problem here ... tried 4k, 2.7k, 1080p (24fps, 30fps, 60fps)... video stutter when panning. It's the same when I upload it on youtube.
2017-9-23
Use props
djiuser_vpRfmYb
lvl.1
South Africa

Hi all. i was experiencing the same problem. I reformatted the sd card in the Mavic pro and it seemed to have fixed the problem. Also it seemed the fuller the sd card became the choppier the footage. so keep it clean and formatted often.
2017-9-26
Use props
djiuser_vpRfmYb
lvl.1
South Africa

Hi all. i was experiencing the same problem. I reformatted the sd card in the Mavic pro and it seemed to have fixed the problem. Also it seemed the fuller the sd card became the choppier the footage. so keep it clean and formatted often.
2017-9-26
Use props
Kylo Ren
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5453 ft
United States

fans245fc24b Posted at 2017-9-23 12:02
Same problem here ... tried 4k, 2.7k, 1080p (24fps, 30fps, 60fps)... video stutter when panning. It's the same when I upload it on youtube.

Did you ever find a resolution?
2017-10-2
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have had that happen with a couple 4K camcorders, bought U3 rated SD or micro SC cards and that went away.  Card speed for WRITE is paramount, read speed is not relevant to record the video.  Almost all cards have a faster read speed and a slower WRITE speed.
2017-10-2
Use props
Milen Mihalev
lvl.1
Flight distance : 529219 ft
Bulgaria

Kylo Ren Posted at 2017-10-2 11:54
Did you ever find a resolution?

I have bought sandisk extreme pro card. Original one was sandisk extreme. I didn’t tested it yet, but will notify you when I have some results.
2017-10-3
Use props
fans169da729
lvl.1
United States

Milen Mihalev Posted at 2017-10-3 10:28
I have bought sandisk extreme pro card. Original one was sandisk extreme. I didn’t tested it yet, but will notify you when I have some results.

I have same problem.

Any solution found yet?   Does DJI acknowledge the issue?
2017-10-25
Use props
fansed702b85
New

United States

I have found that using the .mov format instead of the.mp4 smooths out the video quite noticably. Also due to the high bitrate the video only plays smoothly in VLC.
2018-1-9
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

fans8c246317 Posted at 2017-5-9 20:41

Had same prob with my 8 gb phone. Got 32 gb phone. Prob solved .at 1st everything was fine with my 8gb but after few updates 6 months ago started happening. Tried my wife’s better phone and things worked perfect. Every body wants there crafts to have all the features that every other product has. People complain, why can’t it do this , or that ? So DJI keep improving app and adding features like everyone wants. This uses more phone mem space and power. Long story short , try app out on a friend or family members phone and see what happens. I’m here in USA. Have metro pcs android lg k7 32 g now. All work great. Phone was 100$ out door and my unlimited service 40$ a month . Can’t be happier!
Hope this helps some people. Happy& safe flying everyone!
2018-1-9
Use props
Earth Wonder
New
New Zealand

Just had this issue too, the Mavic Air quickshot playback from the SD card in my Macbook Pro was unusually choppy, with dropped frames.

SD card: Samsung EVO PLUS 128GB Micro SDXC, up to 100MB/s Read, 90MB/s Write (formatted as ExFat)
VLC: video media information

VLC: codec

VLC: codec

VLC: statistics

VLC: statistics

There are dropped frames and the playback speed was odd.
I wonder if any other resolutions to the problem?
In the meantime, I will try formatting the SD card again on the MA to test.
2018-3-23
Use props
djiuser_iocIDucvlSLL
lvl.2

Aerial Concepts Posted at 2017-8-14 04:47
Whenever I upload my video footage from my Mavic Pro to my computer the video plays normal when I open it up in Windows Media Player. Whenever I transfer the video footage over to my editing software, the video then becomes very choppy and lags severely. How do I make sure that my editing software and my video footage from Mavic Pro are the same size and format? Shooting videos with my Mavic and editing them are a new hobby that I'm getting into but I cant seem to make any improvements editing the video footage. I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 15 and I'm camera settings for video on Mavic are 1920X1080 24 fps MP4 format NTSC. Please help me figure this problem out. I was beginning to think that my laptop is too slow to handle the video but like I said when I open the original video footage up in Windows Media Player it plays smooth, however when I open the video footage up in my editing software it is extremely choppy and lags very bad. Thanks for any help.

Unmatched fps?
2018-4-18
Use props
fansdcd5c872
lvl.2
Flight distance : 362028 ft
Czechia

new mavic pro platinum, problem still there, periodic stuttering when yawing
tested cards  - sandisk extreme pro, ultra, samsung pro plus, etc.

problem almost disappeared when -  changed to kingston 32GB card, changed res to PAL 4K UHD/25fps (not 30), camera reset, recording to MOV
I assume this is camera chipset speed issue
2018-7-14
Use props
dreii853
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11926 ft
Macao

I am not so sure but am having similar problems, I do not think it is my SD card since what I bought was a SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB that was recommended for drones, while flying I may have noticed slight lag in my live view, a split second freeze time to time, but I am not so sure for the files in the SD card cause I cannot play them in my imac since I forgot to change it to MOV. So I converted the files and could see lag in my videos, I truly hope its not the same with the original file but if it is then I that's just sad, so I wanted to know what could the reasons be and if there are any fixes so I can prevent future problems like this?
2018-12-5
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is the strangest thread. Does anyone else think this thread is just filled with a bunch of FAKE accounts. I'm counting 13 different accounts that have 1 or 0 posts, and between 0 and 3 replies. The OP mentions their "GoPro Drones" don't have this problem. I could be off base here. Does anyone else think this is just misinformation from a competitor?
2018-12-5
Use props
DreiiFernandes
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11926 ft
Macao

Bing Err Posted at 12-5 03:49
This is the strangest thread. Does anyone else think this thread is just filled with a bunch of FAKE accounts. I'm counting 13 different accounts that have 1 or 0 posts, and between 0 and 3 replies. The OP mentions their "GoPro Drones" don't have this problem. I could be off base here. Does anyone else think this is just misinformation from a competitor?

I believe they are just newbies, It's my first time here in the forum as well because I just couldn't figure out my problem and wanted to see if anyone has something similar
2018-12-5
Use props
Joe Schmo Force
lvl.2
Flight distance : 448671 ft
United States

I was checking this post to see if anyone else had the same problem and I see Im not the only one.
I found out what it was. It was not in the media as the my Mavic Pro 2 was writing video on the Sandisk extreme SD card that came with the craft.
I found out it was a combination of the computer and playback software. On my new 65" 4K TV and new desktop PC with dedicated graphics video card, and using VLC to view it, the video looked a little choppy and skipped a few frames.
However, on my HP Envy with a fast LG monitor the same video looked fantastic and didn't miss a frame or skipped at all.  Which is a relief in knowing that the Mavic Pro 2 is recording correctly.

Heinz
2018-12-9
Use props
Aussie57
New
United States

Class 10 is not fast enough for 4K needs U3 rated SD card. Also try formatting in the drone. I had the same problem and using class 10 even though it's rated for 100mbps read speeds they don't work as well for fast write speeds like the U3. I'm using this formatted in the mavic 2 pro and worked well...Samsung 64GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME64GA/AM)
2019-3-13
Use props
David Drills
lvl.1
Italy

I did some research and It is not the drone, drone it’s actually working fine. It’s not about sd card or computer. it is something that any video camera has when its moving fast trough still objects, and it’s called “judder effect”.
It mostly happen when the camera is moving (or panning) over a certain speed, so with drones is more evident because most of the time they are moving very fast and very close to some objects (like trees).
Even top cameras like red or arri has it, it is something related to the fps andthe movement speed, but it all depends to the hertz of the monitor where the video is playing.
You can notice judder effect in every drone video all over the internet or any hollywood’s moovie when the camera is moving or panning. The only place where you won’t get that is on cinema screens because the can select any heatz parameter they want.
This video has a good explanation: https://youtu.be/qAVfIQ2G7Io
Or just google judder effect and you’ll understand everything about it.
2019-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules