15023 31 2017-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RoadHazard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 58609 ft
United States

I'm a n00b, so go easy on me...

What happens if the battery on my iPhone/Android/iPad fails mid-flight? I'm guessing it does nothing, except that I obviously lose the ability to see through the P3's camera and read the visual instruments. I'm assuming the P3 itself still flies just fine, and there are no other ill effects?
2017-2-13
Use props
Bracco
Second Officer
Flight distance : 244856 ft
Italy

Yes your are right. Your p3s will fly and you will controll him through your rc. 2 months ago dji go app crashes and my p3s continue to fly under the control of my rc
2017-2-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

If remote is still connected to aircraft properly, you can still control the aircraft.
But it's recommended to fully charge everything before flight.
2017-2-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Flying with depleted batteries is a Nono. Don't do it.

Particularly flight packs.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Arab Emirates

Todays smartphones are notorious for short battery life ... and this will happen.

As long as the RC (Transmitter controller) is still working - the model will continue to fly normally. If you let go sticks - it will hover. What settings you made for RTH will be memorised IN THE MODEL.

So the simplest thing to do is to engage RTH by flicking S2 on the RC and bring her home ... once you have clear view of her - I change to MY control and land out.

I have had two losses of APP while flying - which would be same as phone dying ... and one I switched tablet back on again ... regained control via APP ... other just RTH'd and never a problem.

Nigel
2017-2-14
Use props
RoadHazard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 58609 ft
United States

That's good news. Thanks, everyone.

I'm surprised at how much battery power the DJI Go app uses. Here I was all nervous about running down the battery in the P3S or the Remote Controller. Turns out, the iPhone is the weak link!
2017-2-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

RoadHazard Posted at 2017-2-14 14:30

I'm surprised at how much battery power the DJI Go app uses. Here I was all nervous about running down the battery in the P3S or the Remote Controller. Turns out, the iPhone is the weak link!

If my RC and iPad Air2 Cellular are fully charged I can easily fly, all four of my fully charged intelligent flight packs, with plenty of RC and device power to spare.

Having a dedicated device for my flight kit has been a great blessing.

I strongly suggest others get on board, if financially able and willing to make the investment. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-14
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

On advanced and pro the phone is charging as it is cable connected to the radio, still can die, but less likely.... Sorta a nice. I had my tablet die once - I assumed it was off but it wasn't,m so i flew with my phone. Smaller but ok.
2017-2-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
United Arab Emirates

I carry a 'powerbank' all the time in pocket for my phone - I need to be in communication all time with my job. So its there to boost my phone if ever needed.
I have used it to boost my RC and another time my tablet ... so that's a possibility if anyone needs their phone charged in field. It can also run the phone while flying because our P3S does not use cable to connect to RC.
Nigel
2017-2-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It's kind of the same across both iOS and Android. It can be shocking how much a running program, or two, can drain a battery so quickly. The alternative that solentlife provided could be an option to help sustain the battery life a little longer.
2017-2-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-14 22:46
It's kind of the same across both iOS and Android. It can be shocking how much a running program, or two, can drain a battery so quickly. The alternative that solentlife provided could be an option to help sustain the battery life a little longer.

All though not useful for a Phantom 3 Advanced or my Phantom 3 Pro. When the RC is plugged into the USB port where the iPad Air2 is charged. There is no chance to charge it on the run. Or fly. ;-)

Are there any suggestions for us?  Not that I actually need one. Having my brilliant device, is key.
I can also trickle charge my iPad Air through the charger in my SpYder RS-S frunk, when I rYde.

Since the iPad can heat up pretty good, while flying with the bright sun shining on it, too bad it doesn't have a built in solar charging option. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
United Arab Emirates

RHP - the section you often post in is specifically STANDARD ...

Regards your problem of cable connected USB ... never thought of a double adaptor ?

When I have only one charger or connection for multiple phones etc. - I use a multi-adaptor designed to split a phone / tablets micro usb port ... charging is possible through it same time as data flow.

Or you could plug the Powerbank into the charge port of the RC and hope the RC charges your phone via the cable.

For anyone interested - if you have one USB wall charger but 2 or more phones ... you can use as standard multi usb box to the wall charger and plug all your phones to that ... it works. Yes - rate is reduced but it works.

Nigel
2017-2-15
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
United Arab Emirates

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-14 22:46

to have literally any smartphone battery last even a reasonable time - you need to turn off as many functions as possible. Each RF based function ... Bluetooth, WiFi, even Infra Red and some phones that have Proximity Touch Charging etc - all these functions devour energy at alarming rates.

I travel a lot and is why I carry powerbank. My main phone is Blackberry which is far superior to any iPhone or other Smartphone in terms of battery - but even that shows this weakness. If I turn off functions and have as data / Voice - I can have over 2 days on my Z30 ... try that with iPhone or even Samsung !!   

Nigel
2017-2-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-2-15 01:01
to have literally any smartphone battery last even a reasonable time - you need to turn off as many functions as possible. Each RF based function ... Bluetooth, WiFi, even Infra Red and some phones that have Proximity Touch Charging etc - all these functions devour energy at alarming rates.

I travel a lot and is why I carry powerbank. My main phone is Blackberry which is far superior to any iPhone or other Smartphone in terms of battery - but even that shows this weakness. If I turn off functions and have as data / Voice - I can have over 2 days on my Z30 ... try that with iPhone or even Samsung !!   

That's great in an emergency when all the chargers seem to die at the worst opportune moment! Nothing can be worse than being devoid of contact with the 21st century.
2017-2-15
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

This has me thinking.

What happens if someone calls you when you are flying?

Should the phone connection be turned off when using it as a controller?
2017-2-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-15 16:33
This has me thinking.

It would only disrupt the use of the app, not the drone itself. Granted, it helps to avoid any potential interruptions so that you're focused on flying.
2017-2-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-15 16:33
This has me thinking.

Put it on 'Do Not Disturb' while flying.
2017-2-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-15 23:54
Put it on 'Do Not Disturb' while flying.

Yes, Airplane mode here on both iPads, forever... Never leave home without it.

By the way there is an option called All, that shows all of the various Phantom page posts under one single page. So that I never have to jump around from one Phantom section to another. It's awesome. A complete convenience.
I love it... Hahaha hahaha hahahaha

It was made just for me. But anyone can play. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2017-2-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
United Arab Emirates

Some people prefer to keep relevant to the section instead of just creating a jamboree bag of mostly irelevant rubbish.
Its actually important. Many new owners choose the section relevant to THEIR model. Ask a question or read a thread that they hope to answer their needs. Some 'jerk' posts in it information that to the newbie appears OK ... then finds out its not even relevant to their model. It could in fact lead to loss or damage to their pride and joy.

Examples of rubbish :

Foam block transport fitted to gimbal ..... Standard does NOT have this.

USB lead connection RC to tablet / Phone ..... Standard does NOT have this.

Those are only two of the common ones - albeit silly and not dangerous to models use ... but frustrating all the same. I wont belittle myself further by pasting some of the real 'crackers' written by some !!

How's your 'chuckles' then ??

Nigel
2017-2-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-16 00:23

By the way there is an option called All, that shows all of the various Phantom page posts under one single page. So that I never have to jump around from one Phantom section to another. It's awesome. A complete convenience.

If I put my phone into Airplane Mode then it will no longer communicate with the RC. It turns off all RF and so no WiFi, Phone or Bluetooth.
2017-2-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
United Arab Emirates

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-16 12:43
If I put my phone into Airplane Mode then it will no longer communicate with the RC. It turns off all RF and so no WiFi, Phone or Bluetooth.

In fact you select Airplane mode - then go back to individual items and turn on those ...

You will find you can have airplane mode but still communicate on those you choose.

Nigel
2017-2-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-2-16 12:48
In fact you select Airplane mode - then go back to individual items and turn on those ...

You will find you can have airplane mode but still communicate on those you choose.

I see.

Nobody calls me anyway so i am probably OK.
2017-2-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
United Arab Emirates

Wish I could say the same .... I have two mobiles on all time and monthly bill is often over $1000 per month and sometimes that's PER PHONE !

Nigel
2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-16 12:55
I see.

We could change that fact, just post your phone number on here. Hahahahahaha

Give me the area code too, ok? ;-)

Yes, while in Airplane Mode when you open an app it still works as expected. Why wouldn't it?

You are over thinking this option. Just fly and be confident in DJI tech...

If you have no outside interference, great. But it's a safety measure, and a smart one at that, ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-16
Use props
BaconNBeer
lvl.1
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-16 12:55
I see.

Nobody calls me either. It is nice to be antisocial. I got a thick battery for my Samsung Galaxy S 4 so I have great standby time. I go a week between charging and still have usually just under 20 percent left on my battery after seven days.
2017-2-17
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-16 00:23

That's the only way I've ever used the forum. I have assumed it defaulted to that but have not tested it. It just comes up that way.
2017-2-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

BaconNBeer Posted at 2017-2-17 06:08
Nobody calls me either. It is nice to be antisocial. I got a thick battery for my Samsung Galaxy S 4 so I have great standby time. I go a week between charging and still have usually just under 20 percent left on my battery after seven days.

Do you leave your phone ringers turned off too? ;-)
Just incase someone calls, you will never be disturbed...

Yes, having extended battery life in your device is great. I appreciate how long the fully charged battery in my iPad Air2 lasts while I fly my Phantom 3 Pro, with four consecutive flight batteries.

I wonder how it will hold up, when I buy 3 more intelligent flight packs.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-17
Use props
#shotxclvck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3423297 ft
United States

happens all the time as long as you know the orientation of the craft direction. controller still works just no video feed.
2017-2-17
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

If you still have signal you could also trigger RTH, or if you know orientation just fly it back.
2017-2-17
Use props
dwardio17
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28182 ft
United States

As others have said, making sure that all other apps are shut down will help, as well as turning off blue tooth.  

Obviously WiFi is a big power drain, but absolutely required on the STD model. Another huge and unavoidable power leech is GPS.  To be clear, I'm not talking about the GPS in your aircraft-- the GPS in your phone/tablet is used to determine your current position (critical for the follow-me mode).

Since your RC doesn't use the USB cable, adding an external powerbank is an excellent idea.
2017-2-17
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

My Powerbank is a flat one similar to a Phone is size ... so it could in theory be velcro'd to controller etc.  I'm not really a lover of the cylinder type ... Mine was a 'freebie' from a Convention I was at with Exxon Mobile ... in the goodie bag they always give us.

Nigel
2017-2-19
Use props
The Dax
lvl.1

United States

I listen to music though BT earbuds when I fly.......I can also hear when it prompts for anything.  
2017-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules