Maximum time length of a single video take recorded with the Osmo+
20004 19 2017-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans42453584
lvl.2
Panama

What's the maximum time length of a single video take recorded with the Osmo+?
I need to make 45 minutes to 1 hour long video shots. Is this possible? How?
2017-2-14
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

You'll get about 9/10 minutes in a single take, then it will start a new one losing a few frames in the process.  Considering the battery life you are probably looking at about 30/40 minutes. The Osmo is not really designed for this sort of long duration video capture.
2017-2-14
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

I also need this and it's impossible. I found I get a little under 14mins in 1080/30 and about 8mins in 4K before it starts writing a new clip (and loses a few seconds of footage in the transition).  It also has a hard stop at 30min where it stops and you have to press record again regardless of file size.  There's a workaround for the short battery life Dave mentioned.  You can buy the DJI batt extension cable and run off a bigger batt but no way around the truncated file issue.  This issue has been around for at least a year that I was able to find and DJI seems unwilling or unable to fix the problem.  It may be a hardware limitation.  Wish I'd have known before purchasing.  
2017-2-14
Use props
Tune345
lvl.3
Flight distance : 446138 ft
United States

wow just 10 minutes of single take ? mine is arriving tomorrow and i learn this info now ._.
2017-2-16
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Malaysia

Unfortunately I got caught out with this videoing our kid's school play tonight.... 9 minutes 20 seconds of 4K then it starts a new clip. And it drops MUCH more than a couple of frames.... I'm guessing 1 to 2 seconds!

I may be able to get around that with a dissolve.... but it will look crap.

The camera wasn't hot, the card had loads of space.... what is the reason for this unwanted limitation.... seems to be completely artificial and no help whatsoever.

DJI??
2017-2-16
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Flight distance : 826854 ft
Canada

Salty777 Posted at 2017-2-16 06:45
Unfortunately I got caught out with this videoing our kid's school play tonight.... 9 minutes 20 seconds of 4K then it starts a new clip. And it drops MUCH more than a couple of frames.... I'm guessing 1 to 2 seconds!

I may be able to get around that with a dissolve.... but it will look crap.

It's called spanning. There is a maximum file size limit that exists. It's approx. 4gb. Any high end professional camera that I have encountered will keep recording without dropping any frames however you'll get a part 1,2,3 etc. sub-file.  As I mentioned in another post today, I don't think DJI was thinking when they designed the Osmo that anyone would want to use their gimbal stabilized cameras to record long stretches of video. Hence they didn't build the code/hardware to span files without dropping frames. The Osmo is at it's best when used to record short clips where the camera is in motion resulting in jitter free smooth video.
2017-2-16
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Malaysia

breezeway95 Posted at 2017-2-16 11:38
It's called spanning. There is a maximum file size limit that exists. It's approx. 4gb. Any high end professional camera that I have encountered will keep recording without dropping any frames however you'll get a part 1,2,3 etc. sub-file.  As I mentioned in another post today, I don't think DJI was thinking when they designed the Osmo that anyone would want to use their gimbal stabilized cameras to record long stretches of video. Hence they didn't build the code/hardware to span files without dropping frames. The Osmo is at it's best when used to record short clips where the camera is in motion resulting in jitter free smooth video.

Thanks for the explanation....! All clear now and something to keep in mind when planning shots in future.
2017-2-16
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.3
United States

Salty777 Posted at 2017-2-16 22:48
Thanks for the explanation....! All clear now and something to keep in mind when planning shots in future.

I had read in another thread that if you got a 32GB SDXC or greater and used the DJI go app to format it that you could bypass this issue.  

Well I just got some Sandisk 64GB Extreme Plus SDXC cards (95 MB/s 633x) and formatted them with the DJI Go app.  Seeing the same issues.  after about 9:20 (or 4 GB) the file is swapped out and a new one started sacrificing about 2 sec of video in between.  
2017-3-8
Use props
sharif0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 621312 ft
  • >>>
United States

breezeway95 Posted at 2017-2-16 11:38

He is correct. This is not a limitation of the DJI Osmo.  It's a file size limitation rather than a recording time limitation. My Nikon DSLR's do the same thing when recording video..and lets face it...at 4K it doesn't take much to trigger the 4GB file size limitation.  

It is interesting that you point out that a few frames are lost when a new file is started.  That should be something that DJI can address with a firmware upgrade.  
2017-3-23
Use props
Marbelle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14472 ft
United States

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-2-14 12:04
You'll get about 9/10 minutes in a single take, then it will start a new one losing a few frames in the process.  Considering the battery life you are probably looking at about 30/40 minutes. The Osmo is not really designed for this sort of long duration video capture.

Aloha Dave,

Do you know if the Osmo with X5 and or the X5r also looses a few frames as well?  I have definitely seen more then a couple seconds missing between clips on my x3 Osmo.  

Be blessed,
Frederick
Marbelle
2017-3-27
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Sorry  Marbelle, I don't know. I only have the Osmo+

Regards

Dave
2017-3-27
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

I have a X5 osmo. It does the same thing when I record video clips. I am not sure how much I am losing though. It will be the same as X3. What DJI can always do is buffer the video before writing onto the SD card. Then it will not lose any scene even in the middle of switching to a new file. Seeing what DJI is, don' t expect any improvement. They are too busy making new products.
2017-3-27
Use props
Marbelle
lvl.1
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-3-27 13:36
I have a X5 osmo. It does the same thing when I record video clips. I am not sure how much I am losing though. It will be the same as X3. What DJI can always do is buffer the video before writing onto the SD card. Then it will not lose any scene even in the middle of switching to a new file. Seeing what DJI is, don' t expect any improvement. They are too busy making new products.

Aloha DTK,

Thank you for sharing your personal and very important experience.  
Perhaps the X5R users are not experiencing drop out issues since the recording mechanism & buffer might be different.  I have seen this before back in the day when not using a fast enough CF cards with a Canon xf100 (think that was name/model) video camera.  The error was much worse because sometimes the 1st sequence clip wouldn't close thus making an unusable file or the next sequence  didn't buffer enough and didn't start recording.  Very problematic especially at a wedding.  

Osmo at a Wedding -
The Osmo loosing 1-2 seconds of video is problematic especially if your using the camera in a wedding ceremony situation.  For a few weddings we used the Osmo mounting it to a tall lightstand and remote controlled the camera to capture a second angle during wedding ceremonies.  But since the files loose 1-2 seconds between clips we felt it was not worth the efforts.  Also during a long winded speech its just not an option.  The Osmo has strengths but its just not in those areas.  We love using it for short clip stuff such as capturing detail.  

Anyhow, hopefully someone with a X5R can let us know if they get the 1-2 second dropping when recording 4k to the microSD slot and in RAW recording.

Be blessed in all you adventurers,
Frederick
Marbelle
2017-3-27
Use props
Marbelle
lvl.1
United States

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-3-27 10:42
Sorry  Marbelle, I don't know. I only have the Osmo+

Regards

Thanks Dave for your response!

Be blessed,
Frederick
Marbelle
2017-3-27
Use props
mixchief
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's really a shame that this is the case, I started with the Yuneek Q500 4K and it's gimbal "handle" which is not nearly as sophisticated in any respect as the Osmo X5 combination, however the transition between clips is absolutely flawless, if there are frames dropped they are not noticeable, just transfer to the timeline in order and you have one continuous clip. Now I "upgrade" to find this ugly gap and no way to work around really as I do FB Live videos that I record simultaneously to repurpose as product videos, FB Live is iffy at best because there are without fail dropouts and in fact the idea to record them at the simultaneously came first as a back up so the FB video would be replaced by the recorded video if need be. Usually these videos are shorter than 9 minutes, today's was 12 and rare as it may be the FB video was without drops so I was able to borrow the audio from it (video quality is so aughful I could not use it) and make a funky edit to make up for the drop out.
If anyone at DJI reads these posts, please consider an firmware update that allows for seamless transition between clips and please don't respond with "buy an X5S" as $1800 is not an option, nor is the $300 dollar difference if cameras were replaced.
2017-5-15
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Unfortunately, DJI never says anything even it has been asked numerous times in the forum. We all know that this issue has already been fixed in X3s, X5s and P4 Pro, probably P4 advance. DJI never make know their intention nor any reason why it is not fixed yet. Lesson learned.
2017-5-16
Use props
Fat Monkey
New

Vietnam

25m bro, u can buy more batery
2017-5-16
Use props
Phantom Pilot (New)
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19514 ft
  • >>>
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-5-16 18:23
Unfortunately, DJI never says anything even it has been asked numerous times in the forum. We all know that this issue has already been fixed in X3s, X5s and P4 Pro, probably P4 advance. DJI never make know their intention nor any reason why it is not fixed yet. Lesson learned.

Hi,

DId you say the video dumping has been fixed in the X3, X5 and the Phantom 4 Pro?  I have the Phantom 4 Pro and it still drops and starts to record a new file at 4gb.  if this is fixed what do I need to do to make the recording work?
2018-2-22
Use props
Phantom Pilot (New)
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19514 ft
  • >>>

DTK Posted at 2017-5-16 18:23

The video record has not been fix in the p4 pro.  I have one and it still stops at 4 go and there is a loss of 1 to 2 seconds
2018-4-8
Use props
MaxJPilot
New

Mexico

I don't know if this thread is still alive, but has anyone tried formatting the microSD card with another format? According to Sandisk, https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/289/~/transferring-a-4gb-or-larger-file-to-a-usb-flash-drive-or-memory-card, "this is due to FAT32 limitation. Files larger than 4GB can NOT be stored on a FAT32 volume. Formatting the flash drive as exFAT or NTFS will resolve this issue."
This should theoretically fix the problem. But I would still need to test it out. My concern is that the camera won't accept this other types of format.
2019-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules