HELP DJI MAVIC IS ACTING STRANGE
1537 16 2017-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JMH300
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi guys,

Basically I have a very weird problem with my mavic, so I got it out the box ready for its first flight and it performed amazingly. However the next day when I was flying it in obstacle avoidance mode the drone was moving extremely slow with a max speed of 9km/h which wasn't the case the day before. When I disabled this mode it appears to go back to normal but the moment I trigger it back into this mode the drone does not fly anywhere near the speed of 10m/s. I contacted dji and they said to do firmware updates and try to restore the settings however this hasn't helped.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this issue.

Thanks
Joseph
2017-2-14
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You will get this issue if you are flying toward the sun and or low over snow. Try avoid both or put sunglasses of the MP...   
2017-2-14
Use props
JMH300
lvl.1

United Kingdom

The issue isn't because of the sun but thanks anyways
2017-2-14
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JMH300 Posted at 2017-2-14 15:18
The issue isn't because of the sun but thanks anyways

then download your flight records to healthydrones.com so we can look at it.
2017-2-14
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Seems strange if you are not receiving obstacle warnings/buzzer from OA tripping.
Check for any debris/dust in forward sensors and maybe a calibration of forward sensors be a good place to start.
2017-2-14
Use props
JMH300
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thankyou Ben but it's strange the obstacle avoidance still works like it will make all the noises and won't let me drive it into a obstacle however the speed is extremely slow flying
2017-2-14
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

Might not be related to operation of OA then.
I do recall someone else posting similar problem in these threads.
I will post it if i can find it.
2017-2-14
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-2-14 16:12
Might not be related to operation of OA then.
I do recall someone else posting similar problem in these threads.

This one sounds somewhat similar.
2017-2-14
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-14 16:23

This one sounds somewhat similar.

And maybe this one https://forum.dji.com/thread-78085-1-1.html
2017-2-14
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

I've seen this behavior on mine. It would start out fine, then it would fly side to side and backwards normally but only slowly forward.  This seemed to occur after the first time the obstacle avoidance system was triggered during a flight.  

When operating normally if it's hovering and you apply full forward pitch it will start to pitch forward at a reduced speed and then after a moment is will go full pitch and travel at normal full speed (non-sport mode).  I suspect this is the obstacle avoidance system deciding if it's clear enough ahead to go full speed.  When the AC is acting up it seems like it never transitions from the first slow speed step to normal speed.  With OA off or in sport mode I do not see this behavior.   Hoping the latest firmware may resolve the bug.
2017-2-14
Use props
JMH300
lvl.1

United Kingdom

See my speed never increases the drone stays at a max 8mph the whole time almost like it's in tripod mode however it's not.
2017-2-15
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

JMH300 Posted at 2017-2-15 00:59
See my speed never increases the drone stays at a max 8mph the whole time almost like it's in tripod mode however it's not.

Have you checked the remotes stick calibration? Make sure it reads 100% when you press the pitch forward all the way. Does it show this behavior in sport mode?

I'd recommend a firmware update/reload and recalibrating everything (if you are comfortable with that process).   I ran mine yesterday after putting on the newest firmware and doing a full round of calibrations (IMU, Compass, RC, & Vision sensors) and didn't notice it getting stuck in slow mode going forward afterward. I need to do more test flights to know for sure if the issue is resolved.  Mine always worked right in sport mode though.

2017-2-15
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Jdwyier Posted at 2017-2-15 05:52
Have you checked the remotes stick calibration? Make sure it reads 100% when you press the pitch forward all the way. Does it show this behavior in sport mode?

I'd recommend a firmware update/reload and recalibrating everything (if you are comfortable with that process).   I ran mine yesterday after putting on the newest firmware and doing a full round of calibrations (IMU, Compass, RC, & Vision sensors) and didn't notice it getting stuck in slow mode going forward afterward. I need to do more test flights to know for sure if the issue is resolved.  Mine always worked right in sport mode though.

I've seen the stick calibration problem also.
2017-2-15
Use props
Yusef
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12146 ft
United States

Hey, make sure that the two covers of the forward sensors are off.  They are transparent covers.
2017-2-15
Use props
JMH300
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks for the comments guys after I performed an imu calibration it appears to have fixed my problem with the speed however when I go forward it's like the drone goes slow then picks up speed is this normal ?
2017-2-16
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

JMH300 Posted at 2017-2-16 01:44
Thanks for the comments guys after I performed an imu calibration it appears to have fixed my problem with the speed however when I go forward it's like the drone goes slow then picks up speed is this normal ?

A transition in forward speed is normal on mine unless I'm in sport mode or have OA turned off.
2017-2-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

JMH300 Posted at 2017-2-16 01:44

What you described doesn't sound normal to me; when I throttle forward it reaches maximum speed fairly instantaneously. It's hard to say for sure just from your description, but no, there shouldn't be a significant lag between the time you push the stick and when your Mavic accelerates or reaches maximum speed.
2017-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules