Why firmware works well on one P4P and wrong on another P4P ?
732 6 2017-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

I do not understand how a firmware works well on one P4P and wrong on another P4P.
It is assumed that faults in a firmware, will affect all models equally, or not ?
2017-2-15
Use props
Shockwave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27274 ft
United Kingdom

The man has a point! and that only leaves the fact that the hardware is not built equal, and therefore all points to their manufacturing process and quality control processes. Not good for a 1.5kg piece of tech that is designed to fly through the air at 50mph in my opinion!
2017-2-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha flyer,

That is an interesting comment.  But it really does allow for a lot of variables.  When you deal with the basics, you are dealing with networks.  The P4P system is a network of at least three computers.  Your device with the DJI GO 4 app installed, your remote controller and the aircraft.  Even the battery has an impact on the network since it has a computer (intelligent battery).

All computer programs use error correction, at least a basic error correction, to reconcile software problems.  Firmware and apps are software and they need to work together well enough for a successful result in a network.  

Now, so far we are only discussing what DJI has a certain amount of control over.  Next we have to deal with device software, public access networks, and especially, the Internet.  Hmm, now how many ways can errors be introduced into that network!

I do not know about you, but I start going cross-eyed when I get to this level of contemplation.  Because of the complexity of such networks and the permutations available for problems, it is standard for commenters who understand the complexity to say uninstall and reinstall the firmware, app, software, etc.  When a reinstallation occurs, error correction is allowed to work its magic.  Unfortunately even that does not work sometimes.  Then a rewrite is in order amid a bunch of users who want to choke neck!

I hope this has helped a little bit.  I know it is not the answer you wanted to hear, but it is the real world.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Shockwave Posted at 2017-2-15 02:41
The man has a point! and that only leaves the fact that the hardware is not built equal, and therefore all points to their manufacturing process and quality control processes. Not good for a 1.5kg piece of tech that is designed to fly through the air at 50mph in my opinion!

Aloha Shockwave,

Please review what I wrote below your post.  It kind of explains what is happening when you turn on your system,  BTW, 2000 pages are written and published every day about networks.

Sorry, you have no facts, only conjecture.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-15
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Would you please describe the issue in detail? we'd like to figure it out.
2017-2-15
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-15 02:54
Aloha Shockwave,

Please review what I wrote below your post.  It kind of explains what is happening when you turn on your system,  BTW, 2000 pages are written and published every day about networks.

Aloha Cetacean.

I agree with your conjecture, but to a point. Network communication protocols have in-built error correction, so it's unlikely that a firmware .bin file will be corrupted on download (if I have your thoughts correct). However, it's documented that re-writable chips may have issues when re-programmed in less-than-ideal conditions, and so I believe this is a more likely cause for 'randomness'. To use a loose metaphor, the '0's and '1's flow downhill better when the slope is cold. This is why supercomputers are typically housed in sub-zero chambers.

Noting that a firmware flash is likely to be more successful when the craft is cool, when I want to update the firmware I commence this as soon as I can after the battery has been turned on (allowing for a few moments for the craft to wake up). My theory is that flashing a warm craft increases the risk of minor firmware corruption during an update.

And, hey, I also have theories about Area 51 and of the 'grassy knoll'...
2017-2-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-15 13:37
Aloha Cetacean.

I agree with your conjecture, but to a point. Network communication protocols have in-built error correction, so it's unlikely that a firmware .bin file will be corrupted on download (if I have your thoughts correct). However, it's documented that re-writable chips may have issues when re-programmed in less-than-ideal conditions, and so I believe this is a more likely cause for 'randomness'. To use a loose metaphor, the '0's and '1's flow downhill better when the slope is cold. This is why supercomputers are typically housed in sub-zero chambers.

Aloha Punchbuggy,

We all have our grassy knolls and I have no issue with your comments because there is plenty of room for error that has to be corrected.  That is the question of the thread.

Mahalo for the input for the thread.  I say firmware should only come out in the wintertime and not in Hawai'i unless it is on top of snowy Mauna Kea (white mountain).

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules