Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Online store vs Retail Store (for US customers)
3650 9 2017-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gmanthegman
lvl.2
Bulgaria

Hi, folks!

I live in California and I bought a drone from DJI online store (North America). A couple of days later I've been charged additional 240$ from Bank of America as an international transaction.

A lot of big online stores in US are selling DJI products with absolutely same pricing.
Not sure if there would be additional charges from a major american bank.

Was it totally my fault for not buying it in any retail store?
Are there any advantages from DJI Online store purchases?

2017-2-15
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

I buy tons of stuff online from China and never get an extra charge
2017-2-15
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I've gotten the same international charge for items from Germany on Visa.  Russia too with a currency exchange charge.  Sometimes it's high.  Sometimes low.  I've won some arguments with the bank manager, but lost many too.  Got a high import duty too on a repair sent to Japan on it's return (Gray market repair.).  Fwiw, I also use BofA Visa, and the bank overall is pretty lousy in IRA and savings deposit interest rates too.  They gotta make a buck somewhere I guess.
2017-2-15
Use props
gmanthegman
lvl.2
Bulgaria

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-15 08:43
I bought my drone from B&H photo in NYC to avoid sales tax but I did buy a battery direct from DJI and was not charge any international processing fees.   

I know you said Bank of America but your profile country is Belarus.  Is your card maybe not registered to a US address?  

It's weird since I have a dual citizenship and I made an order while outside the US. My VISA is registered to an american adress.

Anyways, should I can contact my Bank and ask them to bring my money back? ha
2017-2-15
Use props
gmanthegman
lvl.2
Bulgaria

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-2-15 08:23
I've gotten the same international charge for items from Germany on Visa.  Russia too with a currency exchange charge.  Sometimes it's high.  Sometimes low.  I've won some arguments with the bank manager, but lost many too.  Got a high import duty too on a repair sent to Japan on it's return (Gray market repair.).  Fwiw, I also use BofA Visa, and the bank overall is pretty lousy in IRA and savings deposit interest rates too.  They gotta make a buck somewhere I guess.

Hey!

I used VISA (BofA) for all my purchases too. Never got any additional charges before.
Even a relatively small order (599$ SSD Card)  was charged like 15 bucks!

Do you think it's "okay", or there was some kind of mistake?
I will contact my Bank tomorrow morning.
2017-2-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

gmanthegman Posted at 2017-2-15 21:30
Hey!

I used VISA (BofA) for all my purchases too. Never got any additional charges before.

You should not have been "bilked" like that. It's way too much of an extra charge, even for tax, duty, shipping, handling, and converting US funds.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-16
Use props
gmanthegman
lvl.2
Bulgaria

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-16 01:36
You should not have been "bilked" like that. It's way too much of an extra charge, even for tax, duty, shipping, handling, and converting US funds.

I talked to DJI online store, they pretty much told me it was all about the bank, since they charged me the money. I called the bank and they said it was all about the store, since it's international.

So I got super confused.
2017-2-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

gmanthegman Posted at 2017-2-21 11:20
I talked to DJI online store, they pretty much told me it was all about the bank, since they charged me the money. I called the bank and they said it was all about the store, since it's international.

So I got super confused.

Send it back, & get a refund?

Tax duty shipping handling delivery shouldn't equal $240.00
No wonder it costs $1.00 to mail a single letter in Canada.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

gmanthegman Posted at 2017-2-21 11:20

So I got super confused.

Maybe time to change your bank, that is a rip off, get your money back.

Good luck.
2017-2-21
Use props
The Vaping wolf
lvl.2
United States

no extra charges from my original p4 purchase ( DJI store here ) , nore extra batteries from the atlanta hobby store ( autherized dealer )
2017-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules