Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Bird Strike
3208 26 2017-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ttony1976
lvl.2
Flight distance : 791562 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Forum

Just thought id ask if anyone has ever had a bird strike with there Mavic.
Or do birds tend to stay away,
I live in an area with a load of Seagulls, and I do not like the thought of them attacking the drone or not moving out of the way......
2017-2-15
Use props
bitboy0 - mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 212201 ft
Germany

Look here ...
There you can see what CAN happen with stupid birds...
2017-2-15
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Yikes!   Did the birds cause all that damage or was it the hard landing responsible for some?
Those looked like storks.   I've had a flock of crows show some deliberate interest in my drone, but I've tried to out fly them.
2017-2-15
Use props
bitboy0 - mavic
lvl.2
Germany

This where pigeons ... I guess they didn't even saw the mavic, becaus it was not moving.
I say the props where damaged by the birds and the falling broke the rest.
2017-2-15
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

Thats too bad. Did look more like an accident  than an attack buy the doves.  Sorry about your crash.
2017-2-15
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

No bird strikes (yet). Seagulls don't seem too intimidated by the Mavic but I haven't encountered any real aggression or serious curiosity from them. My closest call so far was with a duck that decided to cross my flight path.
2017-2-15
Use props
Ttony1976
lvl.2
Flight distance : 791562 ft
United Kingdom

OMG didn't want to watch that......Note to myself keep away from the birds !   Thank you
2017-2-15
Use props
bitboy0 - mavic
lvl.2
Germany

Luckily this was NOT my crash ;) But it shows how dangerous birds can be. Even if this bird don't attack but only act as a swarm ... I name that an accident and this bird is probably wounded also.
2017-2-15
Use props
NWMavic
New

United States

bitboy0 - mavic Posted at 2017-2-15 05:56
Look here ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHNdt1__-Bc
There you can see what CAN happen with stupid birds...

I watched that video and the person posting it should have named it something else. It was not an attack, but just birds being birds and they flew into the Mavic.
2017-2-15
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

NWMavic Posted at 2017-2-15 07:47
I watched that video and the person posting it should have named it something else. It was not an attack, but just birds being birds and they flew into the Mavic.

I agree. We have to remember that we are entering "their" airspace not the other way around. You can't always prevent the unavoidable but you can try to limit the flight if you see birds around. Don't get me wrong... I'm not a huge animal rights activist but we are entering their territory. Much like going swimming in the ocean. Once you enter the ocean you are no longer at the top of the food chain lol.
2017-2-15
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2017-2-15 08:02
I agree. We have to remember that we are entering "their" airspace not the other way around. You can't always prevent the unavoidable but you can try to limit the flight if you see birds around. Don't get me wrong... I'm not a huge animal rights activist but we are entering their territory. Much like going swimming in the ocean. Once you enter the ocean you are no longer at the top of the food chain lol.

Well, this is YouTube we're talking about, which isn't exactly known for its understated video titles. I'm just surprised there weren't more exclamation points involved.
2017-2-15
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-15 08:06
Well, this is YouTube we're talking about, which isn't exactly known for its understated video titles. I'm just surprised there weren't more exclamation points involved.

Lol... true
2017-2-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

There is NO AIR CONTROLLER for the Seagulls. They will come at your MP. Better keep your   open and don't sweat too much...
2017-2-15
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 526076 ft
United States

I flew my drone in the Jordanian desert and there are locals who raise hawks for sport. The hawks started circling my drone and followed it every time I moved. I thought it would be funny see if they can outfly my sport mode and they kept up easy still circling about 10-20m above it. I didn't push my luck further and just landed and found another place to fly. I have found crows to be territorial as well and would fly close to the drone to check it out. I would probably watch out for birds of prey as they can easily take out a drone and see them as a threat.
2017-2-15
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

Most bird seems fine with drones as long their nest isn't threatened. A friend and I were flying our Mavics (shooting some video from Mavic to Mavic) when this hawk flew into the area and decided to checkout the action. He seemed fine with the Mavics and wasn't concerned when we flew closer to him to take his picture.
2017-2-15
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I Have frequently noticed Pigeons doing this when i have been flying,   i have noticed 2 or 3 differing size circles they fly , then repeat,  each time flying close at same altitude and  sometimes under but raising towards mavic,  not sure if the ultrasonics play a part in this or not,  crows are mostly ok, their flying speed increases if they are getting agitated,  rooks are just plain dumb ass,  and are more difficult to predict,  ducks are deceptively high speed straight line flyers mostly, flying frequently on autopilot,  they have usually flown that route many times with little deviation,  most other birds do get out of their way,   Buzzards have always treated me fine as long as i keep an eye on them,  the only near miss with one i had is when we both circled together, i was watching him watching me, and we flew ever closer till i chickened out and dived away, it appeared he was going to follow but stopped within 30 meters, and continued about his business,   Hawks are an issue as they come out of nowhere at very high speed too, once they have their own VPS lock, LOL .  Seagulls tend to get braver and braver, so if they are starting to circle and fly busily thats the time to get out of there.     hope that helps
2017-2-15
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-2-15 12:16
Most bird seems fine with drones as long their nest isn't threatened. A friend and I were flying our Mavics (shooting some video from Mavic to Mavic) when this hawk flew into the area and decided to checkout the action. He seemed fine with the Mavics and wasn't concerned when we flew closer to him to take his picture.[view_image][view_image]

Post the picture. Should be a good one!
2017-2-15
Use props
Droneachaarya
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30259 ft
United States

I flew mavic in a park and within 5 mins after flight an eagle came circling the mavic. I was too worried to hurt the bird with the props neither was I ready to try my luck. So I landed immediately and gave the airspace completely to the bird-self...
2017-2-15
Use props
Citation
lvl.3
Flight distance : 134908 ft
United States

Did you get the pigeon?
2017-2-15
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

OhOhDrone Posted at 2017-2-15 12:53
Post the picture. Should be a good one!

Let me see if I can link to my Google albumn. Here's a photo of my Mavic and one with both Mavics and the hawk. If you click on the links below and select "open in new window". This should display.

2017-2-16
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

Hmmmmm....still not working the way I want.  Trying another option:

20170122_120303.jpg
20170122_121219.jpg
2017-2-16
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-2-16 08:49
Hmmmmm....still not working the way I want.  Trying another option:

Nice! Guess he wasn't hungry and didn't want to eat your drone
2017-2-16
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

OhOhDrone Posted at 2017-2-16 09:19
Nice! Guess he wasn't hungry and didn't want to eat your drone

We flew for about 30 to 40 minutes. He arrived about 5 minutes after we started flying and seemed amused. I was concerned he would get spooked when we flew closer to his perch on the tree but the drones didn't seem to bother him.
2017-2-16
Use props
fans191c7f8f
New
Flight distance : 394 ft
New Zealand

Was this a bird strike or not. One half of a prop was not at the crash site. I stopped the motors when quad started spinning
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e33k0nn04g1fmtd/2017_05_28_12_44_40.mp4?dl=0
2017-5-28
Use props
fans191c7f8f
New
Flight distance : 394 ft
New Zealand

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e33k0nn04g1fmtd/2017_05_28_12_44_40.mp4?dl=0
2017-5-28
Use props
Speeder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 491732 ft
New Zealand

Flew quite a lot with the MAvic and got chased quite a few times ! Even with small birds ... Seagulls can be very aggressive, glad the sport mode is here. I've been attacked by a falcon in NZ as well... You need to be careful
2017-5-28
Use props
Parkker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8891 ft
United States

DJI will have built in speaker for Mavic2 bird repeller..  ; )

http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/NWS0033.html
2017-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules