Do People Fly With The Gimbal Cover?
5728 30 2017-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ontwowheels
lvl.2
Flight distance : 434626 ft
United States

Just curious if folks fly with the gimbal cover on.  From some pics I have seen it looks like a yes, but the cover doesn't seem real secure on mine.  And I would think glare might be an issue when filming or taking pics.

THANKS
2017-2-15
Use props
Trent Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1098924 ft
United Kingdom

I personally don't for couple reasons...
1. It normally has a white mark flickering across the video from sunlight.
2. The fan to the heatsink is right behind the gimbal so would cut off the airflow
2017-2-15
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

to answer your question, yes, some people fly with the gimbal cover on.
should they? no.
2017-2-15
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

Hmm Double posting. Sorry
2017-2-15
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

Its not advisable to fly with the cower on. At least not in warm weather. It restrict the airflow to cool the AC. But there is a gimbal cover with a cut out opening for the camera, that works as a sun shade and do protect  the gimbal some in case you crash. Have a look at eBay.
2017-2-15
Use props
Flyboyz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 142615 ft
Singapore

I would not, i will use it for protecting the camera and transporting only.
2017-2-15
Use props
ontwowheels
lvl.2
United States

Flyboyz Posted at 2017-2-15 06:15
I would not, i will use it for protecting the camera and transporting only.

Same....that's what I have been doing.  Thanks for the input.
2017-2-15
Use props
ontwowheels
lvl.2
United States

THANKS ALL  for the input.
2017-2-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

My gimbal flies commando: no cover for the reasons (glare and heat) already cited by others.
2017-2-15
Use props
fans8c7e7e0a
lvl.2

United States

Gimbal has opening on the side which allow air to flow,, I think it was made to fly with it
2017-2-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

fans8c7e7e0a Posted at 2017-2-15 06:34
Gimbal has opening on the side which allow air to flow,, I think it was made to fly with it

Actually I believe that slit's purpose is to allow the silicone protector (the "gimbal cover . . . cover"?) to stay attached. If it was included to facilitate airflow it then it was very poorly designed.
2017-2-15
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-15 06:35
Actually I believe that slit's purpose is to allow the silicone protector (the "gimbal cover . . . cover"?) to stay attached. If it was included to facilitate airflow it then it was very poorly designed.

Bingo. Thats precisely what that slot, is for.
2017-2-15
Use props
fans8c7e7e0a
lvl.2

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-15 06:35

This is what it says for the Gimbal description:
Protects gimbal and camera from collision, dust and water during transportation and in flight.
2017-2-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

fans8c7e7e0a Posted at 2017-2-15 06:43
This is what it says for the Gimbal description:
Protects gimbal and camera from collision, dust and water during transportation and in flight.

I'm not taking sides in the gimbal cover holy war. I only expressed my preference and commented about the purpose of the slit in the gimbal cover; is that what you're referring to? Because if so, you're suggesting that the slit's purpose is to protect the "gimbal and camera from collision, dust, and water during transportation and in flight."
2017-2-15
Use props
ontwowheels
lvl.2
United States

THANKS AGAIN ALL for the input...
2017-2-15
Use props
fans8c7e7e0a
lvl.2

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-15 06:47
I'm not taking sides in the gimbal cover holy war. I only expressed my preference and commented about the purpose of the slit in the gimbal cover; is that what you're referring to? Because if so, you're suggesting that the slit's purpose is to protect the "gimbal and camera from collision, dust, and water during transportation and in flight."

I just saying what DJI post in their description..  
Me , i won't use it when the weather get warm,,,..   I use it now in the winter only for precaution if i get a battery failure due to the cold weather.
2017-2-15
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

I think DJI's intent was to allow for flying with it in place if you so choose and if that would cause the Mavic to overheat I think they'd make that clear to owners.

Reasons for being an option -  it is clear, and it comes with the rubber protector to keep the plastic from getting scratched up which would be bad for photos.
2017-2-15
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

All that glare from the sun is bad for photos too!
2017-2-15
Use props
Stavo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 336972 ft
United States

Airflow really isn't an issue as the cover is far from air tight. Camera reflection and glare in sunny situations is. As someone already stated, the documentation says the cover is for transport and flight. If it wasn't meant to be able to fly with it on, why make the rubberized cover removable at all?

If I am flying to record, I take it off. If I am testing flight modes or just getting in some practice I'll leave it on.

For something interesting though, fly with it on in good lighting and see how hard that gimbal is working to keep a steady shot.
2017-2-15
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

I don't fly with it on
2017-2-15
Use props
danieleforyou
lvl.2
Flight distance : 154820 ft
Iceland

fansc2962bbc Posted at 2017-2-15 06:13
Its not advisable to fly with the cower on. At least not in warm weather. It restrict the airflow to cool the AC. But there is a gimbal cover with a cut out opening for the camera, that works as a sun shade and do protect  the gimbal some in case you crash. Have a look at eBay.

I've seen a video on YT reviewing that cover. Unfortunately, it seems that it has a very low positive impact on sunlight flares.

2017-2-15
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

danieleforyou Posted at 2017-2-15 08:15
I've seen a video on YT reviewing that cover. Unfortunately, it seems that it has a very low positive impact on sunlight flares.
Lens Hood

I bought one and used it once AND THAT WAS IT.

It is NOT 100% clear field of view. If you raise the Gimbal up you will get a shadow in the corner you are pointing at
2017-2-15
Use props
CoolGourangga
New
Flight distance : 66496 ft
Netherlands

I'm a late entry into this discussion but for what it's worth I have a comment.
I'm a recent user and have mostly flown with the gimbal in place. I have noticed the difficullty with the sunflare across the lower part of the left hand side of the screen which I found annnoying.
However, I also live near the surf and continued to leave the gimbal in place for the purposes of some 'protection' from the seaspray. When tracking surfers in particular I have felt that this was a better option. While following dolphins the other day I also felt that the gimbal in place saved me having seaspray entering.
Having said all of that, I initially flew without the gimbal but after viewing the tutorials from the DJI site itself I noticed that usually the gimbal was in place. This confuses me and I think also the issue.
I agree that it's certainly better to fly without the gimbal from the perspective of vision for the camera but I also see the benefits of flying with the gimbal at times and for specific reasons.
I haven't had any issues with the Mavic Pro over-heating with the ginbal in place. I live in Bali where the temperatures are tropical to say the least.
2017-12-14
Use props
RobDownUnder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103609 ft
Australia

No. Interferes with photography quality through light refraction.
2017-12-15
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

No way, it messes up the images. If it's not suitable to fly without the cover, it's not  suitable to fly.
2017-12-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In my experience there are two negatives to using it

1. You will get a large white flare across the image from the sun reflecting off it - this will ruin many shots
2. The airflow through the drone is restricted - this can lead to the drone over heating in warmer climates and if it gets too hot the drone will auto shut down - even mid air. Big risk!

On the flip side there are positives too

1. There is still airflow and when flying in cold to freezing conditions (like now in most countries) it will help to warm up the drone quicker
2. It adds protection to the gimbal in the event of mild crashes
3. It will protect the gimbal from dust and sand particles on take off and landing
4. It will help to shield the gimbal in stronger winds and reduce horizon tilts

That said, I never use it due to the issue with it ruining the image but what others wish to do with their drone is up to them. And you should ALWAYS have it on with the gimbal clamp during the transport and strorage of the drone when not in use.
2017-12-15
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

I've flown with the gimbal cover on and had no issues as the ambient temperature was low at the time. It was also a bit damp out and when I did a 90deg camera tilt down I had a water drop hanging from the bottom of the cover... rather there than in the gimbal or back through the internal fan cooling channels. All of the above is also true - but it's funny how much people get 'ego invested' in whether to fly or not to fly with the gimbal cover - despite DJI saying in black and white, its designed for that. For people learning familiarity with their drone, it's just one layer of protection akin to using prop-guards in these circumstances.
2017-12-15
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't fly ever with the gimbal cover; rather have it off.
2017-12-15
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Never used mine while flying it blocks air circulation.
2017-12-15
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Anyone who wants usuable photos and video will not fly with it on.... It is mainly meant for transportation. Also the slit is absolutely meant for the rubber cover to secure on to the clear bubble
2017-12-15
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Its not "ego-invested" its common sense. Does more bad than good when the Drone is on!
2017-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules