Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inverted landing panic
1292 9 2017-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sp00nix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28678 ft
United States

So a friend and my self each picked up a Ps3 and are still learning the ropes. Were not new to quads though.

He had an interesting incident toward the end of his first flight: hovering about 2.5' from the ground a freak gust of wind slammed it into a parked car and the quad landed upside down. The part that worried me is that it seems the props went full speed pushing itself into the ground until I ran over and grabbed it by the skids.

Is there no protocol built into detect such an even? It didn't help that he panicked and shut off the controller, derp. Other than that it was a very satisfying  maiden flight (I decided to get my own the next day)
2017-2-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Nope.  When it crashes and ends up upside down, the props spin like crazy.  That's normal, unfortunately.  Best thing to do IMO is grab it like you did and hold it upright and level and move the left stick down.  Motors should stop after several seconds.  
2017-2-15
Use props
Kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

that is what the shut down command if for
google "csc phantom"

it is called CSC and depending upon model
use the control sticks pulled down and in
or RTH button and left  stick  down and in

your lucky you got it off before  you turned it back upright
if still running it would most likely RTH and take off to RTH altitude.

good luck and have fun flying!
2017-2-15
Use props
Sp00nix
lvl.2
United States

Thanks all for the input!
2017-2-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sp00nix Posted at 2017-2-15 18:07
Thanks all for the input!

CSC doesn't work, when the drone is inverted. So please don't count on that.
It's been written about numerous times on the forum.

DJI needs to fix this anomaly in some new firmware code, for us...

RedHotPoker
2017-2-15
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

I don't think I'd try landing anywhere near a parked car, particularly when  new to the drone ............... you only need a small scratch and it can cost a lot of money. My sons small motorbike recently toppled over........ a very small, almost undetectable, dent in a car door................... £450!!
2017-2-16
Use props
Sp00nix
lvl.2
United States

GeoffN Posted at 2017-2-16 01:37
I don't think I'd try landing anywhere near a parked car, particularly when  new to the drone ............... you only need a small scratch and it can cost a lot of money. My sons small motorbike recently toppled over........ a very small, almost undetectable, dent in a car door................... £450!!

It wasn't near the car initially, it was swept away real hard.
2017-2-17
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Sp00nix Posted at 2017-2-17 06:23
It wasn't near the car initially, it was swept away real hard.

Just so you know why it did what you saw. When it landed upside down it only knows that is should do whatever it can to try to remedy the situation, so it speeds up the motors to try and re-gain control. It unfortunately doesn't now it is inverted, and that maybe reversing the motors would push it up off the ground.....which is not something it can do I assume.
It is no different than a gust of wind coming along and it tries to do what it can to stay upright. Apparently the wind was strong enough to flip yours completely over. There has been a lot of conversations about similar situations in this forum, but it didn't sound like you had seen those comments, so I thought I would a least try to answer your question of why it happened.

And yes like RHP said, it ignores any commands when it is in this position.
2017-2-17
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Yes, the CSC command is the best, when I crashed, after I hit the leg, on a side of a shed, I got unstable and landed, but the propellers were going full speed, so I CSC.
2017-2-17
Use props
fans752985e0
lvl.1

United States

I bumped the side of a low wal and flipped my P3s upside CSC shut it off promptly
2017-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules