2700 10 2017-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PlatonicShroom
New
Flight distance : 6237 ft
Netherlands

Hello,

I'm excited to recently have received my mavic pro drone and gotten out to playing with it a little.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy with this little guy but some issues were noticable.These shots were taken using Firmware : v01.03.0200 and the aircraft has not had any accidents, warnings or issues at the time of recording.

What I immediatly noticed upon watching recorded video material is that when panning around the image quality tends feels a bit choppy.

My recorded video is here (unedited):

- 2.7k video
- 4k video

Especially the 2.7k video the choppyness is noticable.
Now perhaps I am simply not meant to turn this fast and should use cinematic mode for such shots.

Beyond this I've also seen the mavic advertised as being able to record 30fps at 2.7k, I've not found this option and could only select a maximum of 25fps on 2.7k

To summarize my questions:
1. Is this the video quality I should expect in this situation?
2. What could I do to improve video quality (other than editing) ?
3. Considering editing what software and filters are generally used ?
4. Last but not least, how do I access 30 fps on 2.7k ?

2017-2-15
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

The video quality seems about on par for the Mavic.
Slowing the shutter speed with an ND filter would likely help (a bit more motion blur, but smoother, less stutter).
Any decent editing program will allow you to make lots of adjustments. The new "D-log" setting in the latest firmware looks very good as a base for doing post color grading, etc.
Not sure why you don't have a 30fps (29.something fps) option. Are you shooting Pal or NTSC?
2017-2-15
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Taking video with the mavric can be tough at times, panning is difficult, I prefer the up and away shots. From what I see there's nothing wrong with your camera.
2017-2-15
Use props
ontwowheels
lvl.2
Flight distance : 434626 ft
United States

Good questions.  Coming from the 2.7K P3 Standard, I think some of the overall video quality is a tiny bit better there than with the Mavic.  Granted...I have not made any setting changes regarding camera or video to the Mavic yet.....but I didn't either on the P3S.  
2017-2-15
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

1. Is this the video quality I should expect in this situation?
Yes if you have a high shutter speed. the mavic has fixed aperture so you need to slow it down to stop the jitter - by using ND filters to lower the shutter speed to an optimal 2x your FPS (1/50th)

2. What could I do to improve video quality (other than editing) ?
ND Filters, as above ^^

3. Considering editing what software and filters are generally used ?
Adobe Premier pro, Final cut pro, Davinci resolve

4. Last but not least, how do I access 30 fps on 2.7k ?
You need to select either NTSC or PAL - i think its NTSC that allows 30fps
2017-2-15
Use props
ChrisH_Photos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133694 ft
South Africa

I suspect that to choose 30fps/2.7k you may need to shoot in PAL and not NTFS mode.
2017-2-15
Use props
PlatonicShroom
New
Flight distance : 6237 ft
Netherlands

Thank you all for the answers, indeed it seems the PAL/NTSC setting hid the 30fps option.
I believe recording at a higher fps should also improve the stutter a little should it not ?

I'm not entirely sure what ND filter to get, would the kit DJI offers suffice in this case.

As for adobe premiere, what filters would you use to correct this specific stutter effect ?
2017-2-15
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Cannot say for sure but the right side of the image seems to have less detail.
Check the ND filters from TACO- RC or Polar Pro(you find some examples shot with the Mavic on youtube)
2017-2-15
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

PlatonicShroom Posted at 2017-2-15 10:40
Thank you all for the answers, indeed it seems the PAL/NTSC setting hid the 30fps option.
I believe recording at a higher fps should also improve the stutter a little should it not ?

I have bought three different sets of ND filters and I like the PGY filers the most because they easily fit on the Mavic camera. Some filters are tight and hard to get on/off.
2017-2-15
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

A faster frame rate helps with smoother pans, but you still need to pan slowly to attain a cinematic effect.
2017-2-15
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

BayArea99 Posted at 2017-2-15 13:18
I have bought three different sets of ND filters and I like the PGY filers the most because they easily fit on the Mavic camera. Some filters are tight and hard to get on/off.

Did notice these PGY tech filters, really do not know how the image quality compares to Taco but they have a bit more weight.. some users say it interferes with the start up calibration of the gimbal.
Also the YC filters, very cheap to purchase and seem to weight a bit less than the PGY filters.
2017-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules